• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs. UCF tonight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

If someone's point was that college baseball is a "joke" because of quality of play, I don't agree.  Went to see the USF game on Tuesday and to see the Rays on Wednesday.

The umpires on both levels pretty much s*ck.  There seems to be a larger strike zone in college.  But the zone is as consistent as it is in the majors. 

The advantages to USF baseball for me:

1. Closer by 35 miles than the Trop.

2. It is outdoor baseball and real grass.

The only real disadvantage are the d*%n metal bats.  Been going to Bulls baseball for a couple years now and still can't get used to it.

I agree w/ those points but understand those who find college baseball hard to watch when you get used to the MLB quality of play. I think if you are a current student living on/near campus there shouldn't be many excuses to go out and watch your schools baseball team and other major sports as it's a good evening outside for a few hours. Outdoor baseball is great, too bad the Rays play on that ugly turf.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,709
  • Days Won:  108

If someone's point was that college baseball is a "joke" because of quality of play, I don't agree.  Went to see the USF game on Tuesday and to see the Rays on Wednesday.

The umpires on both levels pretty much s*ck.  There seems to be a larger strike zone in college.  But the zone is as consistent as it is in the majors. 

The only real disadvantage are the d*%n metal bats.  Been going to Bulls baseball for a couple years now and still can't get used to it.

I agree w/ those points but understand those who find college baseball hard to watch when you get used to the MLB quality of play. I think if you are a current student living on/near campus there shouldn't be many excuses to go out and watch your schools baseball team and other major sports as it's a good evening outside for a few hours. Outdoor baseball is great, too bad the Rays play on that ugly turf.

Obviously the quality of play is better at the major league level, but these guys aren't out there kicking the ball around on every play.  We've seen some pretty good baseball at the USF games and some great individual plays - Sportscenter Top 10 stuff.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

Obviously the quality of play is better at the major league level, but these guys aren't out there kicking the ball around on every play.  We've seen some pretty good baseball at the USF games and some great individual plays - Sportscenter Top 10 stuff.

Well yeah. Especially out pitching has been INCREDIBLE lately. You have guys throwing complete games and Bulls pitching taking national honors 3 WEEKS in a ROW. Teddy K had 14 K's v UCF, Randy pitches a NO HITTER!!!! I don't care where that is...majors, college, minors..where ever it is, that is something SPECIAL. And our boy Barbo had 16 K's!! Not to mention great defensive plays. Especially that no hit against Notre Dame, there were some spectacular snags by the defense to keep that going..not saying Randy didn't do his job, because he was great!

Archived