• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another crazy idea to help with student attendence

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

Cubbie fans have one main thing we don't.......     HISTORY.    Call me 100 years from now and tell me about attendance. We (that's you and me buddy) are in the unique position to CREATE tradition, and believe me the job sucks, (It's hard to make fans from scratch). Do you think that EVERY  UF and FSU fan have anything to do with the colleges? Hell no. they are jumping on the band wagon and getting exited from the true blue hardcore fans. I do everything I can to support the BULLS, and it aint' ending w/ football season either.      GO BULLS !!!

uhhhhhhhh, you mean that losing history complete with a curse that no matter how good things are going it will eventually fall apart? Excuse me but isn't everyone here ******** that we need to win to fill the stadium yet here is a cubs fan mentioning that cub fans have created an incredible fan base with a LOSING history. Of coure I feel the same way since growing up in cleveland we had the same deal with the browns, consistently mediocre or bad teams yet still passionate as hell.

I agree with it being hard to create fans from scratch which is why I am so **** pissed at the students. THEY are the only ones who truely can call this program their own since the majority of alumn never got to experience it and of course if the students care less how can we expect alumn from other schools who just live in tampa to have any interest?

As far as the only 16K season ticket sales, well we have 40K students who are given free entry so technically I'd say we have about 56K season ticket holders. I know I know, there are all sorts of reasons (excuses) people state that this large student base shouldn't count but I just don't buy it, old or young, communter or not, with that size base we shouldn't have a problem getting a large student turnout, I bet many have no problems getting to buc games regardless of age or where their home is.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

We do have a curse...FREAKING BOHEMIAN RAPSODY!!!!!!!!!

Guest HowieP1

I would think there is little doubt that the money received for the TV rights as well as the soft benefits like exposure to new fans and recruits outweigh the dropoff in attendance.  Seeing that the lease we're in doesn't generate much game day revenue, why would we be so interested in the students getting in free and the few thousand walk-up paying customers?  To make any decision based on our lackadaisical fan base is silly.  I think televising it was the right thing to do.  I thought we had a post that identified what USF got paid from ESPN...I seem to recall it was in the 75K-150K range...Can't be sure.

$150K-$250K

Flashback:

Pitt AD gives in to TV, Big East

Panthers accept deal to play on Labor Day

Friday, May 07, 2004

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After ESPN sweetened the pot with a deal that could mean as much as $460,000 for the university, Pitt has agreed to move it's season opener with South Florida to Labor Day and a national television audience.

The game had been scheduled for Sept. 4. Kickoff now will be at 4:30 p.m. Sept. 6, as part of an ESPN/ABC college football doubleheader.

It's a reversal from the stance Pitt athletic director Jeff Long took last week when he said the university would not change the date to accommodate television because it was not in the Panthers' best interests.

So what changed Pitt's mind?

ESPN and the Big East sweetened the deal for Pitt, offering a package of more money and more national exposure.

The Panthers' game Oct. 16 against Boston College will be televised on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC, guaranteeing the school at least six games on national television next season. At this point last year the Panthers had no games confirmed for national television. Despite being ranked most of the season and featuring a Heisman Trophy candidate, the Panthers played only five games on national television.

"ESPN's desire to televise this game is further evidence of our program's strength and growth," Long said in a statement released by the university. Long was not available for additional comment.

"During this transition period [within the Big East], it is even more important that we consider not only our program but the best interests of the Big East and our new members who join in 2005. This Labor Day national telecast will provide a tremendous spotlight for the new Big East Football Conference.

"Already having six of our 11 games slated for national television places the University of Pittsburgh among the most visible in college football,"

Although the Boston College game likely would have been candidate for the regional Big East Game of the Week, a national game means a significant revenue increase for Pitt. According to conference officials, each nationally televised game translates into between $150,000 and $250,000 for each school. The conference game of the week payout is generally between $25,000 and $40,000.

Agreeing to the switch in return for a second nationally televised game can mean as much as an extra $460,000 for the university.

Originally, Long said the university would not move the game because it was too late to make changes in the preseason training camp schedule as well as the travel plans of fans. Also, moving the game back two days would force the Panthers to prepare for their home opener at 7 p.m. Sept. 11 against Ohio in only four days, something the coaching staff did not favor.

And while ABC/ESPN, the Big East's broadcast partner, was offering South Florida, which is in Tampa, an extra television game later in the season to make the switch, there was no similar offer on the table for Pitt. Once Pitt got the same offer, the deal was too good to pass up.

ESPN and the Big East wanted the game to be televised because South Florida is expected to be one of the league's marquee teams after it joins the league in 2005. By agreeing to the early-season change, the Bulls' game against Memphis Nov. 26 or Nov. 27 will be picked up by ESPN, giving South Florida three national telecasts.

"We are moving into a new neighborhood and the increased level of national exposure is just one tangible benefit that comes with that," said South Florida athletic director Tom Veit n a statement. "We appreciate Pittsburgh's cooperation in allowing for a date change, something that isn't always easy to accomplish."

While both teams will have only four days to prepare for their second game, South Florida does not have to travel on Labor Day weekend and is at home again Sept. 11 against Tennessee Tech.

The late afternoon kickoff on Labor Day, however, assures Pitt won't get home until near midnight and means the Panthers coaches will have even less time to prepare for the option-oriented Bobcats. Option and spread teams have traditionally given Pitt fits. The Panthers struggled to beat Ohio, 27-14, at Heinz Field in 2002, and in '01, they lost to South Florida at Heinz Field, 35-26.

The University of South Florida Athletic Department, in cooperation with the Tampa Convention and Visitors Bureau, has pledged to help any fans who must change their travel plans or accommodations. Interested parties should contact Stacee Salata of the South Florida athletic department at 813-974-2125.

"An important part of our agreement to move this game was South Florida's and the Tampa Convention and Visitors Bureau's pledge to assist our fans with changes to their travel plans," Long said. "We are appreciative of their efforts and our fans' dedication to traveling with the Panthers."

The second game of the Labor Day doubleheader will be Florida State at Miami at 8 p.m. on ABC.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04128/312638.stm

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

That was for the original Labor Day telecast.

Does that same dollar value apply to last Saturday morning?

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

Bottom Line: the 11:00 games were an abysmal failure attendance wise. Has the university commented on the benefits of those games?

Dean, at the luncheon the other day, Woolard was asked about the time change.  He admitted that the evening games were a better draw and even asked for a show of hands if they liked the night games better.  Of course, everyone liked the night games better.

He also understands the Dome and attendance are a priority at this school.  I think he knows what has to be done but came in at time when we were jumping leagues and he has been attending a lot of BE meetings.  Hopefully once we are there, he will start addressing these issues.  

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

cubs sell out because wrigleyville is packed with bars and the game atmosphere is like a drunken frat party.

that is why they don't care if they win or lose!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

as for the games being on espn at weird times....

does it really help recruiting when they see an empty stadium and it looks as though the only fans in the stadium are from pitt?

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Next year should be the best ever in attendance with FAMU, West Virginia, Louisville, and UCF here.  I expect good draws from each of those teams, with the best surprisingly from the FAMU game if all the preliminary hype holds out.  We should easily average over 30K per game for the year and the students will be out to be part of the crowd.