• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For USF's Selvie, NFL success may be gained with weight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

By ROY CUMMINGS  | The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 29, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. - Poor George Selvie. He can do something most everyone in our fast-food world wishes he could, but Selvie doesn't consider it a blessing.

No, he considers this unique trait to be a curse. You might, too, if the ability to eat and eat and eat – anything you want – and never gain a pound was hurting your chances of making it big in the NFL.

Oh, sure, the day will come when Selvie relishes the fact he apparently was born with what doctors call the "fat enzyme.'' Right now, though, he wishes it was something he didn't have.

At his current and steady weight of 247 pounds, the 6-foot-4 defensive end out of South Florida is too small to consistently power his way to the quarterback or stop a running back barreling down on him in the NFL.

If he could put on another 15 pounds or so he'd be right where he and every pro team want him to be. But no matter how hard he tries – and he's been trying for years – Selvie can't seem to put on that extra weight.

"I eat as much as I can,'' said Selvie, who hopes to impress scouts Saturday in the Senior Bowl (4 p.m., NFL Network), a scouting showcase for college seniors. "That's all I do is eat.

"I mean, I'm trying my best to put on some weight, because I feel like I can get bigger. I think my frame can hold a lot more weight, but it's hard for me. It's real hard.''

Hard is a relative term here. A diet that includes super-sized servings of fried chicken, triple-cheeseburgers, fries and ice cream is one a lot of folks dream of.

It's something of a nightmare for Selvie, though, because even after three years of snacking between meals, he completed his junior season at USF weighing just 30 pounds more than when he arrived.

That's one of the reasons Selvie chose to stay in school a year ago, when his 25 sacks and 59.5 tackles for a loss through 37 games made him a household name among NFL scouts.

The plan was to add a few more pounds and get better, but some will point to his weight, which has barely changed, and his production, which dipped, and argue Selvie struck out on both counts.

Selvie recorded 3.5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss in 13 games as a senior, and that was with junior sensation Jason Pierre-Paul's emergence on the opposite side supposedly helping him. Selvie will argue, though, that Pierre-Paul did little to help him really, because opposing offenses still keyed mostly on Selvie, who consistently ran up against double teams and chip blockers.

"I saw a lot of that this year,'' Selvie said. "Even in that game late in the year against Connecticut, when they (had 40 seconds left and) were trying (to get into position) for that last-second field, I was getting chipped. I was like, 'Oh my God.' ''

Selvie didn't get chipped too often the past week during Senior Bowl workouts. He didn't get double-teamed much either. It showed. Just as he was as a sophomore and junior at USF, Selvie was a force again.

During one 11-on-11 drill, he drove the opposing left tackle right into the quarterback, disrupting a red-zone pass play and proving to scouts that he really does have some bull-rush capabilities.

At 247 pounds, though, Selvie usually has to rely on his explosive burst off the ball and his exceptional balance and agility to make plays, and in the NFL that's usually not enough to get the job done. NFL teams might consider moving Selvie to outside linebacker, where he could possibly make better use of his unique skill set.

It wouldn't be the first time Selvie's changed positions. He came to USF as a center, and moved to defensive end only because it allowed him a better chance to play.

"I was like, 'Coach, whatever it takes to get on the field, you just let me know,''' Selvie said. "And he said I should move to defensive end. So I did and it worked out for me.

"So if (NFL teams) want me to move to linebacker, I'm going to be like, "Whatever you want, I'll do it.' I feel like I can rush the passer standing up or with my hand in the dirt.

"It'll be different, but a lot of people have told me they don't think I can do things and then I've gone out and done them. I really believe that anything is possible. I believe I can do anything that's asked of me.''

Maybe even gain weight.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/29/usfs-selvie-nfl-success-may-be-gained-weight/sports-colleges-bulls/

• Content Count:  684

Wow, Selvie really has a great drive to succeed. I know we will see him on Sundays.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

I think Selvie will be a 3rd Round pick.

And regarding his weight gain, the ma just has an incredibly fast metabolism ... USF worked with him well.

Best to Selvie, my Locker All Star the past 4 years.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  5,241

Selvie can have 15 of my pounds.  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

Selvie can have 15 of my pounds.  ;D

+1  ;D

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

When I was a kid my favorite NFL team was the Minnesota Vikings.  Alan Page, one of the "purple people eaters", NFL hall of famer, and Minnesota Supreme Court Justice, was a terror on the defensive line.  I don't know what weight he played at with the Vikings, but the last few years of his career he played at a lighter weight and swore that he was better for it.    I wish Selvie the best, and as always,

Go Bulls!

Archived