• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DB Eric Dungy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Tampa Plant DB Eric Dungy mulls Florida State gray-shirt offer

Football By Chris Hays

Orlando Sentinel

9:58 p.m. EST, January 18, 2010

People probably figure being the football-playing son of former NFL coach Tony Dungy would make the college scholarship offers flow in like spring water.

"People who don't know me or know football might think that," Dungy said Monday night via text message, "but when you consider how much money goes into a College scholarship schools aren't going to waste money just on a name, they need players."

Which is why the Tampa Plant senior wide receiver/safety finds himself in a bit of a dilemma. Florida State, his favorite college football team from childhood, has offered him a gray-shirt scholarship.

"Yeah ... Right now the way the numbers work out they can only offer a gray-shirt," Dungy said. "Hopefully it will work out where they can offer just a regular scholarship, but it's definitely still a serious option."

A gray-shirt means Dungy, if he were to accept the offer, would sign with the Seminoles on Feb. 3 but would not enroll in August like the rest of the team. Instead, he would wait to enroll full-time in January of next year to save a year of eligibility, with the five-year clock starting when he enrolled in school. He could also still redshirt as long as he plays his four years of eligibility in the five-year window allowed.

He could also take a few classes during the fall semester, but not a full load so as not to affect his full-time status starting in January.

It's an option that he doesn't rate higher than his other offers, but it doesn't make his decision any easier. FSU is the lone gray-shirt offer among Dungy's considerations, which are USF, UCF, Oregon, New Mexico and FIU.

"I'm not sure," Dungy said of how the gray-shirt rates in comparison to his other offers. "I guess that's something I will have to sit down and talk about with coach and my dad when it's time to make a decision.

"I honestly don't have a clear-cut favorite right now. Everyone is pretty much even"

Injuries didn't help Dungy's recruiting status through the course of his senior year. A hip-pointer caused him to miss the first two games of the season and he wasn't full-speed, he said, until Game 4.

"I wasn't really thinking about it that much," Dungy said of the scholarship offers, figuring they would eventually start to trickle in, "but getting hurt at the begininng of the season probably didn't help."

Dungy helped a loaded Tampa Plant team capture the 5A state championship. During the season he had 21 catches for 278 yards and a touchdown as a receiver, and had 50 tackles, intercepted five passes and recovered a fumble on defense.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-eric-dungy-mulls-florida-state-offer,0,3724235.story

• Content Count:  95
  • Days Won:  0

That is a "slap in the face" kind of thing for me. FSU is basically say that you can play for us but not yet, wait possibly for 2 years (this year and next year with the red-shirt) and you MAY get a chance on the special team down the line.

If I was him, I would go to a college that really wants me and not a booster move or a publicity move by FSU. USF needs DBs!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

It's a common practice.

• Content Count:  684

Wow, come to USF because FSU really doesn't want you.

• Content Count:  849

That is a "slap in the face" kind of thing for me. FSU is basically say that you can play for us but not yet, wait possibly for 2 years (this year and next year with the red-shirt) and you MAY get a chance on the special team down the line.

If I was him, I would go to a college that really wants me and not a booster move or a publicity move by FSU. USF needs DBs!!

If USF took him, it would for the exact same reasons that FSU would take him....he's not going to beat out any of the DBs we have on our roster right now and we're in dire need of DBs

• Content Count:  95

If USF took him, it would for the exact same reasons that FSU would take him....he's not going to beat out any of the DBs we have on our roster right now and we're in dire need of DBs

I dont think he is a bad player, Redshirt one year and he will be ready. His stats at DB for Plant are pretty good. Plant played alot good teams this year so he has plenty of experience playing against top notch college recruits. I would believe that USF would take him for his ability to play rather then for this Last Name. USF did the same thing with Herm Edward's son Marcus, who had a decent career at USF

• Content Count:  849

I dont think he is a bad player, Redshirt one year and he will be ready. His stats at DB for Plant are pretty good. Plant played alot good teams this year so he has plenty of experience playing against top notch college recruits. I would believe that USF would take him for his ability to play rather then for this Last Name. USF did the same thing with Herm Edward's son Marcus, who had a decent career at USF

Oh I'm not saying that he's a bad player, I just think the DBs we currently have are much better, but then again kids can wow on the practice field, I will say this, I'm sure his football IQ is very high and based on instincts alone that could make him a very productive player

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

USF did the same thing with Herm Edward's son Marcus, who had a decent career at USF

There were 2 Marcus Edwards'.  Herm's son transferred to SDSU.  I don't think he ever made it on the field at USF.

• Content Count:  622

Since you guys brought up his name,

I had Marcus Edwards meet me at Nature Coast a while back to check out a bunch of our players for Wagner University.

He will be a good coach. Hopefully he helps sign a few Sharks in the process.

• Content Count:  651

Since you guys brought up his name,

I had Marcus Edwards meet me at Nature Coast a while back to check out a bunch of our players for Wagner University.

He will be a good coach. Hopefully he helps sign a few Sharks in the process.

Did the same thing BullShark... Hopefully it works out for some of my Cougars!

Archived