• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Pete Times Top Junior Recruits

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

Just looking ahead. The Times released their list today so we might as well check it out. There is no reason we should not get at least 5 of these kids. I wish we could get them all but you know how it goes. Wilder will land at one of the big time D1 schools.. Tyler Moore is already committed to Nebraska. Chickillo will most likely be a Cane. But with the new head coach will come a new eye for talent - something that this group of 15 is surely full of.

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/top-players/2010/jan/15/times-top-junior-recruits/

While signing day on Feb. 3 will be all about the area’s top senior football prospects, this year’s junior class is loaded with talent. Many of the area’s top prospects have received scholarship offers from top Division I programs. Here’s a look at the our top 15 juniors from the bay area.

1. DE, LB, RB James Wilder, Plant High School

Times says: Human highlight film has his pick of offers from top D-I schools -- Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Tennessee, USC among them. The 6-3, 223-pounder, who plays at running back and defensive end, could be one of the top 10 prospects in the nation by next season, especially after an MVP showing at the U.S. Army All-American junior combine.

2. OL Tyler Moore, Countryside High School

Times says: Top lineman prospect has great size (6-6, 290) and strong pedigree. The offensive tackle decided to follow in the footsteps of his father, a Nebraska tight end in the 1980s, and commit to Nebraska. Even though he said he's a solid verbal, suitors like Florida, Ohio State, Tennessee and West Virginia will continue to flock to him.

3. WR Andre Davis, Jefferson High School

Times says: Scouts love this Dragon receivers hands and jump-ball ability (he's 6-3, 180), and this year he has improved his route running and understanding of the game. Miami, Florida State and USF have offered.

4. DL, TE Jordan Prestwood, Plant City High School

Times says: Growing by the day, the Raiders tight end/defensive end seemingly picks up a new offer a day. Teams project him to grow to 6-8, 300 (he's 6-6, 260 now) and be a great tackle with good feet. West Virginia, Purdue and South Carolina are among his offers.

5. DL Anthony Chickillo, Alonso High School

Times says: Despite missing six weeks, the Ravens defensive end (6-3, 225) dominated when he was on the field. Miami (his father and grandfather played for the 'Canes), FIU, UConn, Maryland and UCF have offered.

6. DB, WR Alex Dixon, Countryside High School

Times says: Cougars defensive back (6-1, 175) counts West Virginia, Florida State and USF are among his offers.

7. WR Charles Lovett, Hillsborough High School

Times says: Hillsborough County's second-leading receiver is undersized (5-8, 168), but his legitimate 4.5 speed has led to offers from USF and FIU.

8. DB, QB, WR Ja'Juan Story, Nature Coast Technical High School

Times says: A game breaker much like current Sharks senior Tevin Drake, Story (6-4, 182) could play several positions in college. Marshall recently offered.

9. QB Quentin Williams, Jefferson High School

Times says: The Dragons quarterback (6-1, 185) has an amazing arm, unmatchable intangibles, a 3,400-yards, 34-touchdown season, FIU offer in his pocker and FSU interest.

10. QB Phillip Ely, Plant High School

Times says: After success on the state playoff stage, the Panther QB's interest should pick up this spring, provided he can show he is healthy. FIU offered the 6-1, 185-pounder over the summer.

11. LB, RB Hunter Joyer, Tampa Catholic High School

Times says: The running back/linebacker's rare combination of strength and speed has led to interest from Florida State, Florida, Georgia and Notre Dame. Louisville has offered the 6-foot, 245-pounder.

12. QB Stevie Weatherford, Land O' Lakes High School

Times says: The latest talent from the Weatherford football family has received major D-I interest. Purdue, Georgia, USF and Vanderbilt are among the schools looking at the quarterback (6-3, 200).

13. DL Gary Myrick, Land O' Lakes High School

Times says: Gators defensive end has special speed off the line of scrimmage. The 6-4, 250-pounder has an offer from FIU.14. LB, RB Rodney Williams, Spoto High School

14. Rodney Williams, RB/LB, Spoto, 6-1, 230

Times says: One of the area's toughest, the 6-1, 230-pound running back/linebacker is kind of a 'tweener, but Florida, USF and N.C. State have all shown interest.

15. WR Chris Moore, Jefferson High School

Times says: The receiver is under the radar but will benefit from Andre Davis' recruiting. Some say Moore (6-2, 180) is more polished. He has received FSU interest.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Just looking ahead. The Times released their list today so we might as well check it out. There is no reason we should not get at least 5 of these kids. I wish we could get them all but you know how it goes. Wilder will land at one of the big time D1 schools.. Tyler Moore is already committed to Nebraska. Chickillo will most likely be a Cane.

So you're saying USF should get at least 5 out of 12? That's not totally unrealistic or anything.

Well, I know two of these players pretty well and if we offered them early enough I think we could hold on to them.

Do you even know anything about any of them? Do you have any input on the subject or do you just like being negative?

Dixon, Lovett, Story, Myrick, Williams and Moore if offered early enough and given enough interest I think we could pull in next year.. Why not? And that is considering that we get Carnes this year and don't show much interest to the listed QBs (Q. Williams, Ely, Weatherford). But we may actually want to attempt picking one of them up for depth. I would be cautious with a Weatherford after seeing how his older brothers panned out though also.

I also noted in my initial post that with Skip Holtz now being our HC - we don't know how he recruits this area yet or if he will go after different types of players. We have been going after QBs like BJ, Godfrey and Carnes. Holtz may go after Ely and Weatherford. Who knows..?

Anything I have written though is complete speculation so don't take anything too seriously, aight big guy?

At least I provide something to the board ;)

• Content Count:  3,307

There are a lot of people on these boards who set the bar way too high and then get mad when it isn't cleared, even though it shouldn't have been that high to begin with. I just thought 5 out of 12 was unrealistic. Maybe it isn't, who knows.

There are a lot of people on these boards who set the bar way too high and then get mad when it isn't cleared, even though it shouldn't have been that high to begin with. I just thought 5 out of 12 was unrealistic. Maybe it isn't, who knows.

I'm sorry. I do agree with your first thought at least.

I just do think that it is realistic but I also don't know who Holtz will have the staff going after..

Know what I mean?

He may end up trying to emphasize locking down our area and we land 8 of them...or... He could have some connections from ECU and know of different players and not even bother with the majority of these guys. We will just have to wait and see.

Signing day for these guys is like a year and 20 or whatever days away. Just providing the information and trying to spark some good conversation.

• Content Count:  276

So far we have ZERO of the Top Senior Recruits, so I think that getting 5 next year would be quite ambitious.

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/players/

• Content Count:  2,558

I love these posts keep it coming

So far we have ZERO of the Top Senior Recruits, so I think that getting 5 next year would be quite ambitious.

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/players/

Good point. We never really had a shot at those top 3 either. And besides Terrence Mitchell I don't know how much we even recruited any of those 20.

Archived