• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kirby Smart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Macphisto,

Like I said timing is everything. If USF was a more established program than we would have more big time boosters. Right now, I dont think we have the big time money to buy out that contract. If this would have happened 10 or 20 years from now, then I could see that happening. I really believe that some of the boosters wanted Leavitt fired with cause so that they didnt have to buy out his remaining contract. Soon as that report cam out from McMurphy, the sharks came in to capitalize on that opportunity. We are going to find out real quick if USF wants to be big time or if they dont with this hire.

• Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

No need for a buy out if they want Smart as the Head Coach.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Macphisto,

Like I said timing is everything. If USF was a more established program than we would have more big time boosters. Right now, I dont think we have the big time money to buy out that contract. If this would have happened 10 or 20 years from now, then I could see that happening. I really believe that some of the boosters wanted Leavitt fired with cause so that they didnt have to buy out his remaining contract. Soon as that report cam out from McMurphy, the sharks came in to capitalize on that opportunity. We are going to find out real quick if USF wants to be big time or if they dont with this hire.

I doubt we're even interested.  But my point was that Richt can get out of that contract just as any other HC out there can, but there's a price.

They could try for Rich Rodriguez too, but each of those coaches comes with the buyout price and their contract demands.  But that doesn't mean it makes sense to pay for them.

Though the reality is that a couple of BCS berths and conference wins would have the coach paying for himself.  I think the top tier of the Big East will be getting $3-4M next year compared with the $750K or so I think we've gotten for most of our other bowl showings.  Winning the Big East means we not only get more revenue from tickets but that the coaching staff is pretty much covered by the bowl revenue.  So the #1 team in the Big East will probably end up with around $7M paid out by the conference for being #1 between bowl revenue, TV revenue, etc.  Add in increased season ticket sales and increased booster contributions.

If you think you can get there then maybe you take the risk and decide to payout money now.

Archived