• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BJ will arrive when...

Donno

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

IMO, after this season, we need to look long and hard about implementing a variation of the FSU  "fastbreak" offense when Charlie Ward was behind center. They didn't have a huge O line, or a stable of huge backs, but they got the job done with a 6'1" point guard QB. Just a thought.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

IMO, after this season, we need to look long and hard about implementing a variation of the FSU  "fastbreak" offense when Charlie Ward was behind center. They didn't have a huge O line, or a stable of huge backs, but they got the job done with a 6'1" point guard QB. Just a thought.

...and the I-formation.

That was an absolute staple of those '90s FSU teams, and their offense was electric. Not to mention that you can do SO much out of the I.

The few times we have used it in 2009, we have ran the ball with authority and hit a few play action BOMBS for TDs.  Add all of this together and this means there is pretty much NO chance of it happening.

Guest Scherdin

When:

-Our O-Line begins to gel better

-We can pick up a blitz

-When we can run the ball with an RB and

-BJ can learn to lead his WR's instead of throw behind them. 

It will be no secret on how teams will try and to beat us next year, they will use the Rutgers approach. 

We have to let some of the guys get some yardage after the catch, too often they are diving or sliding to make the reception.  We have some play makers at the skill position, let them show off what they can do.  We shouldn't have to rely on the deep pass all the time.

When:

-Our O-Line begins to gel better

-We can pick up a blitz

-When we can run the ball with an RB and

-BJ can learn to lead his WR's instead of throw behind them. 

It will be no secret on how teams will try and to beat us next year, they will use the Rutgers approach. 

We have to let some of the guys get some yardage after the catch, too often they are diving or sliding to make the reception.  We have some play makers at the skill position, let them show off what they can do.  We shouldn't have to rely on the deep pass all the time.

How to beat a blitzing team....screens and draws. We don't ever seem to be able to adjust during a game. Any coach and put in a game plan, the truly great ones, are able to change on the fly.

• Content Count:  3,827

How to beat a blitzing team....screens and draws. We don't ever seem to be able to adjust during a game. Any coach and put in a game plan, the truly great ones, are able to change on the fly.

1 problem: we don't have screens and draws in our playbook.

1 problem: we don't have screens and draws in our playbook.

Exactly, hence the FSU reference, one of the best plays that I've ever witnessed was FSu -vs- UM in the O.B. FSU ball their own 22, draw, middle LB fills, FB takes him, Dunn follows his block, cuts right, db drops his jock, 78 yards later TD. We currently have the talent to run that play. I don't why anyone would NOT have a draw and screen package in their offense. Sometimes, people make it more complicated than it has to be. As Lombardi said "you seal here, you seal here, and run here".

• Content Count:  1,985

... HE sets an new Big East Record for passing and rushing in a game....

KNOCK, KNOCK... Who's there... BJ DANIELS......

To get better, let's not have him as our leading rusher.  We need a fast back who can get outside.  I love Mo, but he is best up the gut so he does not get that opportunity to bust one open often.

Fumbles Ford is the strongest 3yard carrier out there, just all he gets is 3 yards, and his turnovers hurt us. 

I would love to see a Ford Taylor I-formation. Imagine the options that would be in that backfield. A FB (Ford) fast enough to outrun LB's, a TB (Taylor) big enough to take on LB's, and BJ who can run/pass. I want to see Taylor with a full healthy season, and multiple opportunies. IMO, he is an untapped resource.

• Content Count:  1,985

I would love to see a Ford Taylor I-formation. Imagine the options that would be in that backfield. A FB (Ford) fast enough to outrun LB's, a TB (Taylor) big enough to take on LB's, and BJ who can run/pass. I want to see Taylor with a full healthy season, and multiple opportunies. IMO, he is an untapped resource.

I think it was in the Green Bay game yesterday they were showing how many plays they have that come off one simple line up.  Just like you say here with an I formation.  they had something like 3-4 run plays, and 3 pass plays all off the same line up.  We needed that this year, with a young team offensively, they would know where to start, move in a hurry up versus the sideline look, and keep defenses on their toes.  With a strong base like this, you have fewer blown assignments, and defense cannot run as many schemes at you.

Archived