• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Don't limit a good player

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

the fact that we haven't had a QB with much better than a 1/1 TD/INT ratio [give or take a TD] on the season since Marquell speaks volumes about our coaching.

did Grothe ever show improvement in the INT dept. ?  no.

instead of pulling players, or constraining them with a "no pass" gameplan that cost us a game, why don't our coaches actually coach our QBs up and teach them better decision making?

Leavitt putting the wraps on BJ was a stupid decision. period. and it amounted to basically blaming BJ for his own poor coaching.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

the fact that we haven't had a QB with much better than a 1/1 TD/INT ratio [give or take a TD] on the season since Marquell speaks volumes about our coaching.

Really?  The only BCS level QB to attend USF since Blackwell was who?  Grothe?  I think the fact that Marquel went some huge span of attempts without an interception shows what a great decision maker Marquel was.  I don't think the series of QBs that followed: Banks, Denson, Julmiste, Gregory, etc., are really part of this conversation.  It's pretty clear none possessed the basic tools and upside of Grothe or Daniels.

did Grothe ever show improvement in the INT dept. ?  no.

Correct

instead of pulling players, or constraining them with a "no pass" gameplan that cost us a game, why don't our coaches actually coach our QBs up and teach them better decision making?

Teaching decision making is very tough.  A lot depends on the QB and his ability to develop, his level of risk-taking, quick thinking/processing and physical ability. 

My experience is it is a lot harder to teach those intangibles and have them absorbed.  Granted, I think most would agree our coaches teach decision-making...otherwise, they're not coaching.  Just as parents do, we teach good decision making, but kids still make bad decisions, take unnecessary risks and try things they know they shouldn't.  I think some of it is simply human nature.

Leavitt putting the wraps on BJ was a stupid decision. period. and it amounted to basically blaming BJ for his own poor coaching.

I think you are buying the line by CJL that the Pitt debacle was "on him".  Come on.  He had a QB that threw an INT every four attempts.  The game was well out of hand early (where was our defense?  Pitt scored on all 1st half possessions) and to have him continue to try and make something happen would only have similar results, especially with a Pitt D giving up the ground but taking away the air.  Why destroy his confidence when you need him the following week?  Coachspeak...would you expect anything else from CJL?  He was protecting his QB.

I think we should all sit back and give B.J., now going into his 6th game as a starter the chance to develop without having knee-jerk reactions to every mistake and perceived ignorance in coaching.  The kid is a kid and he's learning how to win and how to lead, another aspect the coaches will try to teach, but one very hard to teach.  Some things, like leadership, are not learned traits.

Archived