• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Very disappointed in the St Pete Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

However, because they are on the schedule it is (IMHO) worth writing about.  The storyline:

* USF gets screwed by FIU

* USF wants a better opponent

* USF can't afford it

* USF has to get a team like CSU

for what its worth....that is exactly what the tribune article that brett wrote in this mornings paper is about

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

While I kind of understand that we are playing the weakest of our first 3 games. The Flippin' LOCAL paper should cover the LOCAL team. As has been said on this board, there are most likely more gator and noles in the area than Bulls. IMO part of that is because of the lack of exposure in the local media. The TV news spends more time on HS football, and the papers spend more time on the gators and noles. Like the attendance issues, revenue issues etc.... they will all be remedied with winning. Bottom line. This is the year, if we beat FSU, Cincy, WVU, and Miami then we will (at least we should) get a lot of local pub.

Not to make excuses, but here is how I see it:

Yes, the Bulls are Tampa's local market team, but that doesn't mean the world revolves around us.  When you have traditional powerhouses like UF and FSU, the whole state is their market, not just Tally and G'ville.  Be happy that the Times and Trib put what they did in there, and I assume it was done because USF is the local team.  If either paper was in another market without a local market college team, you would expect that there would be no mention of USF. 

Until we make a solid, consistent name for ourselves this will be the case.

• Content Count:  50

Last night i was watching our local weather man and all he said was that the weather would be great for the Gator game today and that they may get some afternoon rain.  Never mentioned the weather for our game, zip, zero, zilch.  

• Content Count:  12,293

what did you expect with UF playing UT? and to a lesser extent FSU playing BYU

what real news do they have to report about USF other than a brief game breakdown? I guess they could do that.

My issue is that I seriously doubt that the FSU and UF regional papers did not cover extensively their respective match ups against JSU and CSU, and Troy... those papers were wall to wall Noles and Gators.

The USF regional papers should have wall to wall Bulls coverage regardless of whom we play...

The Tampa Tribune and St Petersburg Times are a little different than the regional papers in Gainsville or Tallahassee.  You are talking about two major newspapers with a huge and diverse readership.

You can't compare the coverage that the Gators get in Gainsville to the coverage USF gets in the Tampa Tribune or St Petersburg Times.

There are more gator fans who read the Tribune and/or Times then read the paper in Gainsville.

• Content Count:  4,738

Last night i was watching our local weather man and all he said was that the weather would be great for the Gator game today and that they may get some afternoon rain.  Never mentioned the weather for our game, zip, zero, zilch.  

charleston southern

• Content Count:  11

We have'nt exactly blown out our opponets this year. When a school of 1200 students, yes less than most local high schools hangs with us for three quarters, I wouldnt mention them either. When we start dominating teams then we should get the 'print', hopefully this year we start slow and finish strong instead of the opposite the past two years.

fans have to put up with poor scheduling decisions. and dont bring up FIU... we've had 2 easy ass games already enough said. we should be playing a BCS game today.

time to learn the lesson here and schedule better. period.

• Content Count:  2,016

According to Wollard (that I read on this board back inthe spring, haven't found the thread yet) the Bulls talked to 105 FBS (Div. 1A for you old timers) and couldn't get a deal done.  They took what they could get.  And we do have 2 BCS teams on the schedule this year.

yet again the point is missed... is wofford, wku, fiu really that much better than wofford, wku, csu?

we should have had wofford and 2 mid-low tier BCS AQ school, or at the very least 2 strong MAC/CUSA teams.

Archived