• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another USF player facing academic scrutiny

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

TAMPA - University of South Florida freshman RB Bradley Battles has returned home and hasn't practiced all week because of NCAA Clearinghouse issues.

Offensive coordinator Mike Canales would not comment on Battles' specific academic issues.

Battles could be the eighth recruit – out of 29 – signed by the Bulls who have either failed to qualify or were denied by USF's academic committee.

THREESOME: With Mike Ford's suspension and Jamar Taylor's knee injury, USF will rely heavily on the trio of RBs Mo Plancher, Aston Samuels and Lindsey Lamar to start the season.

"All three of those guys are going to rep a bunch. Those are the three key guys right now," Bulls coach Jim Leavitt said. "All can run, all have great balance, all are tough, all have speed and all are very good running backs."

Having one feature back would be the ideal scenario, but Leavitt says the carries will continue to be divided as has been the norm the past few seasons.

"We'd love to have one of them step up and be the guy, but until somebody does it'll be that way," Leavitt said. "If we ever find a back that'll step up and be like [former Bull] Andre Hall, that's what we'll be. Until then we won't."

ODDS AND ENDS: With Jon Legiste sidelined with a groin injury, freshman Kayvon Webster has taken over as starting nickelback. … Freshman TE Isaac Virgin (knee) will be out a few weeks, Leavitt said. … DL Jason Pierre-Paul and Leslie Stirrups missed practice to attend student orientation.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/aug/21/another-usf-player-facing-academic-scrutiny/news-breaking/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Maybe Brett should have spoken with CJL like Greg did the other day:

Freshman running back Bradley Battles was not at practice Thursday, and USF coach Jim Leavitt said Battles had gone home for a few days due to an issue with the NCAA Clearinghouse. Leavitt said he expects Battles to be cleared and soon back with the team, potentially as early as this weekend.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/08/te-shields-sidelined-with-ankle-injury.html#comments

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe Brett should have spoken with CJL like Greg did the other day:

Freshman running back Bradley Battles was not at practice Thursday, and USF coach Jim Leavitt said Battles had gone home for a few days due to an issue with the NCAA Clearinghouse. Leavitt said he expects Battles to be cleared and soon back with the team, potentially as early as this weekend.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/08/te-shields-sidelined-with-ankle-injury.html#comments

brett didnt write that.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

brett didnt write that.

Whoever it is, they must have learned from the best.

as much as no one here wants to admit it....IF we do lose 8 out of 29 commits for failing to qualify or denied access then that IS news worthy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

as much as no one here wants to admit it....IF we do lose 8 out of 29 commits for failing to qualify or denied access then that IS news worthy.

But isn't it true that we can only add 25 on scholarship each year? So, if you really feel the need to bring that "news" up, shouldn't you also try and be totally accurate and fair and present ALL the facts surrounding that issue?

We can sign more than 25... and these 29 "commits" were 29 "signees"... but a team can only put 25 on scholarship per year.

Clearly, USF expected four guys to fail to qualify OR to be willing to greyshirt.

AND since USF also knows the 85 scholarship limit would hurt recruiting next year... only having 21 on scholarship this year is not that bad.

So, Matt, it's not REALLY that newsworthy.

but should a program with one of the worst APR scores be signing guys who they KNOW cant qualify?

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

There's no APR penalty for signing a player you know won't qualify. Leavitt clearly places a value on the gesture as something that might help in landing the player out of junior college. Leslie Stirrups is a good example -- if USF doesn't sign him in 2006 and extend that loyalty, I doubt the Bulls are able to get him in 2009.

Not saying it's a good tactic or a bad tactic, but USF won't face an APR penalty for signees not making it to campus. If a borderline kid makes it, then drops out after a year, that's when you have APR problems.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

While I was at USF, I underwent a great deal of academic scrutiny and it wasn't my high school grades.

:-[

Archived