• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tonelli Leaves USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Tonelli Returns to Wharton High

TAMPA - After serving two seasons as the Director of Basketball Operations at the University of South Florida, Tommy Tonelli will return to Wharton High School to coach the boys basketball team, head coach Stan Heath announced today.

"I feel fortunate over the last two years to have Tommy Tonelli as a part of our program," said Heath. "His relationship to USF goes way back, and he has been a vital part of our coaching staff as well as the future success of our program. I wish him nothing but the best. His contributions have been significant and he will be missed, even though he won't be too far away."

Tonelli, a former USF player and assistant coach, served a pair of terms as the Director of Operations and remains the only person in USF history to play and coach for a postseason team at the school. He has been affiliated as either a coach or player for six of USF's nine postseason teams.

"I really appreciate the opportunity Stan gave me to be back at USF. I enjoyed it and it was a learning experience," said Tonelli. "The opportunity came about for me to go back to Wharton and I just felt like it was an opportunity for me, the sake of my family and professionally, that I couldn't pass up."

Link to full story

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Tonelli was my AP at Wharton... he was awesome... big loss for the university... good re-hire for Wharton

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  122
  • Days Won:  0

Still not sure why Heath did not promote him. Good for Wharton, bad for USF.

Archived