• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fennelly- Another Collapse Just Won't Cut It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I don't like writers who have little or nothing to do with our program (unless they are ragging on us) to put ultimatums out there.  

BS journalism.  Who exactly is Fennelly to call them out.  We are still new, we have a new conference, we are new to the top 40.

i dont understand your point.  i guess you only notice it around USF because you dont follow other teams or sports as close or with as much passion...

but writers who have little or nothing to do with our program is ALL writers.  I really wouldn't want to read an article from someone involved in our program because its just a PR piece at that point.  I'd just read the press releases from SID.

look at ANY big program or ANY professional sports team....you are gonna have people question things.  thats what writers do.  i guess too many of our fans want to read 'ho hum glam pieces' that are safe and dont ask tough questions. 

i love greg's work and he does dig up some interesting facts and does a wonderful job of keeping us all informed...but i doubt if he is capable of asking any tough questions if/when they come up.

writers dont have to be as over the top/out for blood as brett can be but stuff like this is NOTHING different then what happens to any major program.  if you want to be a big boy and sit at the big boy table you gotta deal with the big boy problems too.

how many papers around the country have written articles about bobby bowden (the most winning coach in NCAA) that were in a bad light??

our fans are just WAY TOO SENSITIVE or WAY TOO NAIVE about what happens in the rest of the sports world.

Ahhh Matt -  that would be Joe Pa

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When USF was ranked #2 in the nation we did deserve the ranking.  For that week, based on everything known at that time, we were the second best team in the country.  We lost 3 straight very close games and were in all three until the end...

For the whole season, USF was not the 2nd best team in the land... but through the first week of October, we surely were.

• Content Count:  12,293

joe pa/bowden....who ever dies first loses.  point is still the point.

bowden is a college football legend and has had bad press all throughout his career.  its part of the package.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

What would our record had been has we played teams #3 through #25?  23-0? I think it was Oregon at the end of that magical season that put a solid whipping on us.

It was a faux rating that brought on a faux collapse. 

The era of the underdog and sneaking up on programs is over.  We need to mature and target all 12 games as MUST WINS.  We've had a problem doing that.  Until such time as I see us able to get up for all games and have the depth to compete in all 12 at a high level, I will remain in the "young and building program" camp.  USF Football is still a work in process and far from no longer being a "fledgling program" despite a temporary #2 ranking. 

• Content Count:  12,293

What would our record had been has we played teams #3 through #25?  23-0? I think it was Oregon at the end of that magical season that put a solid whipping on us.

The era of the underdog and sneaking up on programs is over.  We need to mature and target all 12 games as MUST WINS.  We've had a problem doing that.  Until such time as I see us able to get up for all games and have the depth to compete in all 12 at a high level, I will remain in the "young and building program" camp.  USF Football is still a work in process and far from no longer being a "fledgling program" despite a temporary #2 ranking. 

thats a joke.  you are basically saying 'i want to be able to make excuses''

and just cause a team is ranked #2 doesnt mean that they would automatically go 23-0 against the teams ranked behind them. 

i am blown away by your 'logic' on this one.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I honestly feel that if there is another big collapse mid season, Leavitt will be on the hot seat.

leavitt should be fired if tere is another collapse but i dont think usf will even contend anyway

and just cause a team is ranked #2 doesnt mean that they would automatically go 23-0 against the teams ranked behind them. 

only on this one????????

i get a kick out of leavitt apologists and syncophants

Leadership on the sidelines is where is starts.  Last season, when the team was having an off game at FIU I saw no leadership on the sidelines.  I should see players trying to pump players up, and think through problems.  That FIU game was a tell for the season.

no leadership from coaches

players havent taken ownership of program

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I'm not making excuses.  If Fennelly read his own ramblings on how poor we've been in conference the last couple years he would impeach his own argument.

All I am saying is that we've yet to prove anything in the Big East - our best record was what?  4-3? 

We're not as high in the pecking order of college football as he would lead you to believe.  We're not there yet.  Again, the writers picked us to finish 4th in the league.  What does that say?  They're wrong and Fennelly is right?

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Anyone that thinks the 2008 team choked needs to watch the FIU game (an early season win) and the WVU game (a late season loss). . . . . . . our teams' improvement is undeniable. . . . . . . despite the fact the crappy, unfocused Bulls team won and the gutty, nasty bulls team fell short.

Early on, I viewed 2008 as a disappointment (seriously, watch the UCF, FIU and KU escape jobs) becasue the team seemed to lack mental toughness and our defense was pathetic (BTW, burnham got a free pass while Gregory was a whipping boy).  I take heart however, in my belief that USF's two best-played games were their last two against WVU and Memphis (shamefully, even the NCSU beatdown saw the NCSU QB break records for deep passes, plus the result was skewed by an hour-long downpour).

I actually think the 2008 team IMPROVED and am especially bullish because we toyed early with Memphis the same way we toyed early with UCF and FIU. . . . . . Except we finished the job against Memphis.

BTW, the 2007 team got a nice ranking and a lot of attention and then sh1t their pants. . . . . sorry bulliever, your excuses are easily seen through.

Archived