• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How about that big hit made by D Verpaele??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

That was a great hit, but . . .  

he still has much to improve on.  He continues to over run plays and not force action back to the inside frequently.  Some criticism of Verpaele in the past as been unfair because the kid is a true Freshman.  He will make mistakes while he learns the game.  I'm not trying to be too critical of him because I know there is a learning curve, just pointing out some things I've noticed.

My real question is why weren't Smith or Warren ready to take over at SS when Jones went down?

Good question on Smith, Warren, and don't forget Jeremy Burnett.

I have been critical of Verpaele but I've been quick to point out he's a true freshman and undersized for a strong safety.  He's got good instincts because he's forever around the ball, but to often missing gaps, over-pursuing, missing tackles, or simply getting run over.  All of that you can't blame him for, and are to be expected from a 6-1 180lbs TRUE FRESHMAN.  In a year, after proper strength training, and experience we'll be looking at a 6-1 200lb or more kid and suddenly the light bulb will start to go off.  That's when the magic happens.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  553

I would trade that one big hit for just a small increase in actual tackles made.  Our tackling is horrible.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

he looked like his brother

and what did the anouncers call him ver- pel  ???

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Wasn't he also the one who let the receiver get behind him on that 1st TD that was called back?

Im pretty sure that was Camon.  We will see on Tuesday if brighthouse replays the game.  

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,448
  • Days Won:  43

The bottom line is that the secondary played alot better in that second half. Dont forget about that nice defletion that Simpson had which saved a sure TD pass. Also, Gipson started to make plays. You guys, Verpaele can only cover so much out there. It is the other DBs that need to continue to improve to make Verpaele look better.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

I believe a lot of the freshmen on Defense are STARTING to come around which is very encouraging for next year since I think the Defense was going to be the biggest question mark.

i had little concern about the D, they are well coached but young and were improving with every game, so i believe they will be solid next year.

what about the O, coaching? OC? QB coach? scheme?

can this give us a consistant O that won't kill the D with stupid mistakes and playcalling?

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

What about picking up a fumble in the end zone and running it to the six - instead of recognizing where he was and just falling on it for a touchback?

It was a play of agression, but a freshman mistake.

He will be a GREAT player over the next four years... but he is learning.

--

As for that hit - it was good, but realize that Chavez dropped the ball before Verpaele hit him.   I bet it still felt good for him.

While I agree  I also dissagree.

If you were our defense and you got the ball, would you feel you had a better chance to run it back from the goal line or give it to our offense?

Now, I realize the way our offense played in THIS game negates my question but if they were playing the way theve been playing, the odds are better for HIM to run it back 100 yards then for us to score.

I still wish he just fell on it though.