• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who will have an impact?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

We can all be honest here right,...while Murhpy is a good corner with great speed. He gets burned alot and is constantly out of position and throws himself instead of tackling many times. Q could really step up but CJL has already mentioned Webster getting a shot right away. Our corners are weak lets be honest here. I hope under this new coordinator they play fundamental football and get themselves in position to make plays and we should be fine.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,403

We can all be honest here right,...while Murhpy is a good corner with great speed. He gets burned alot and is constantly out of position and throws himself instead of tackling many times. Q could really step up but CJL has already mentioned Webster getting a shot right away. Our corners are weak lets be honest here. I hope under this new coordinator they play fundamental football and get themselves in position to make plays and we should be fine.

When did Murphy get burned?  Every corner gets burned sometimes, but give me some examples.

• Content Count:  1,037

When did Murphy get burned?  Every corner gets burned sometimes, but give me some examples.

The WVU and Louiseville games come to mind. Against WVU he had 2 pass interference calls and against UL he gave up a 30 yd TD. That said, he was very good for a first year starter and I expect him to be a first day draft pick. If he can improve his speed, he'll be as good as mike jenkins.

Carlos Savala       OT    - Based on his highlights he should step in right away

Jaquian Williams    OLB     - Should get immediate playing time based on need at his position

Jason Pierre-Paul   DE    - He'll be given preference over Giddens because he only has 2 years of eligibility and he's bulkier

Leslie Stirrups     DT    - Potentially the most talented player in this class who should be very anxious to finally put on a USF uniform.

Kayvon Webster  DB     - Leavitt has been quoted as saying that he WILL see IMMEDIATE playing time probably at corner/WR/safety. He comes from a high school program that has produced many great players and he should be a good one no matter where he ends up.

Lindsey Lamar     RB    - If our O-line could open up some holes he would easily be the best home run threat on the team. My personal favorite incoming recruit. 8)

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The WVU and Louiseville games come to mind. Against WVU he had 2 pass interference calls and against UL he gave up a 30 yd TD. That said, he was very good for a first year starter and I expect him to be a first day draft pick. If he can improve his speed, he'll be as good as mike jenkins.

Easy there tiger...

I think Murph is a decent corner, his instincts bother me a bit. I can't think of many times when he has gotten burned, but I can think of some examples where he was in position but didn't make a good play on the ball, or didn't turn in time to look for the ball. That IMHO is what Murph needed to work on this off season (maybe it is footwork more than instincts?). As you said, for only a first year starter, he did pretty well, and I expect improvement. Just not sure he will get to Jenks level while here at USF. Maybe he will get a shot in the NFL and get there, but 2 years starting, it will be hard to pass up Jenks. I hope I am proven wrong though.

Easy there tiger...

I think Murph is a decent corner, his instincts bother me a bit. I can't think of many times when he has gotten burned, but I can think of some examples where he was in position but didn't make a good play on the ball, or didn't turn in time to look for the ball. That IMHO is what Murph needed to work on this off season (maybe it is footwork more than instincts?). As you said, for only a first year starter, he did pretty well, and I expect improvement. Just not sure he will get to Jenks level while here at USF. Maybe he will get a shot in the NFL and get there, but 2 years starting, it will be hard to pass up Jenks. I hope I am proven wrong though.

Murphy had 3 picks as a first year junior. For comparision, mike jenkins had zero as a third year junior. Murphy is also not afraid to lay the wood on people. He also had a few picks bounce out of his hands. The main difference between murphy and jenkins is that jenkins had elite level speed where he could make up ground if he got beat. Murphy runs a 4.5-4.6 and needs to drop that down. His instincts will improve with more playing time, and that's one of the reason I wished we had given Q more PT.

Easy there tiger...

Murphy had 3 picks as a first year junior. For comparision, mike jenkins had zero as a third year junior. Murphy is also not afraid to lay the wood on people. He also had a few picks bounce out of his hands. The main difference between murphy and jenkins is that jenkins had elite level speed where he could make up ground if he got beat. Murphy runs a 4.5-4.6 and needs to drop that down. His instincts will improve with more playing time, and that's one of the reason I wished we had given Q more PT.

Thanks for the response.  As I said, every CB gets beat, but I think he was really solid overall.

I think Jenkins had the ball thrown to him less, so I'm hesitant to use interceptions has a measurement of ability.  I agree Jenkins was faster, but Brian Bennett says in this article:  http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-4-298/Allen--Murphy--Devine-among-other-Big-East-workout-warriors.html?post=true that Murphy runs a 4.48, so that's not bad (Nate Allen runs a 4.38, btw!).

Q has 3 years left so he's got plenty of time to get better.  He's played really well so far.  The really interesting thing to watch will be whether Murphy switches to SS.  I think his speed at that position would be great and we could likely upgrade the speed at his CB spot with Kayvon and/or Baker.  4.48 is definitely faster than we had at the SS spot last year, and I think Kayvon and Baker are even faster.  I wonder how fast Young and Lejiste are, though.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I think bennett got his decimals wrong. I believe he meant to say that Murphy was 1/100 % slower, meaning he was timed in 4.39. Murphy has been said by many to be the fastest player on the team and I know a few others who run below 4.48.

Young ran track in HS. This site only lists one race for him, but I know he had more than that.

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/58050

LeJiste also ran track. Again, this is likely an incomplete listing for him.

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/166877

Nice, so Murphy is even faster than I thought.  I'm pretty sure Baker is the fastest player on the team until Hopkins and Lamar get to campus, but whoever is fastest out of the DBs we should have a much faster secondary this year, especially if Kayvon can find a spot.

I think Ricardo Dixon has some speed as well, but no one seems to give him a shot at playing this year.  He was pretty highly rated and recruited, too.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Ryne Giddens is good enough to have an impact this fall.  He is THAT talented... he might not start the first few games, but he could push Harris and JPP for playing time.

I would say all of the JUCO transfers will have some impact.  Savala will probably be a starter... and you aren't listing Daron Rose who transferred from FSU.

Yes, we are replacing four starters on our OL, and three could be transfers (Savala, Rose, & Bass) ... we could have a monster OL.  (Rose will be sitting out 3 games b/c of FSU's academic issues - the school's, not Rose's.)  I expect by the Cincy game our OL will be in great shape.

Kevin Williams's 40 time is listed as 4.39 seconds.  Anytime you have that kind of speed on the team, you have to get them on the field.  He came in as a CB ... but I would expect to see him on the PR and/or KR team.  Could be our best PR since Ean Randolph... and could take quite a few back to the house this fall and next.

I am really stoked about the new players coming this fall. 

the ol will be weak spot again

adding 3 new guys isnt good

Archived