• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will USF beat out UF for another player?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I already started a thread on Terrence Mitchell,  Lindsey Lamar's cousin, who is considering offers from both USF and UF. Having beaten out UF for Giddins, I don't expect the recruiting floodgates to open, but I think we are now in a better position to do so again.

Here is another such possibility:

Powell has offer from UF

His big day isn't for another year, but Columbia junior Tiger Powell already has started thinking a little about 2010's National Signing Day.

The 6-foot, 205-pound tailback already has scholarship offers from South Florida, Central Florida, Florida State, Michigan and Florida. Because it's so early in the recruiting process, Powell said he's really only made one decision.

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2008/01/18/sports/doc4790213d05246220205284.txt

"It doesn't matter (if I stay in-state), but I've got to stay in the southern area," Powell said.

Powell added USF is his early leader because the Bulls gave him his first offer (shortly after his junior season concluded). But he also attended UF's "Junior Day" last weekend, and when asked if he preferred the Gators, Seminoles or Hurricanes, he answered "Gators," who offered him in early January.

With that said, Powell said he hopes to attend summer camps at USF, UF and FSU, and with it being just February, others could climb into the picture.

But again, it's early. Too early to even decide whether he hopes to commit somewhere quickly or wait until on or near next year's National Signing Day.

"I haven't thought that far ahead," Powell said.

Posted February 4, 2009 12:00:52 PM

Permalink: http://prepsblog.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2326939

Here is a story from last year:

Powell named to all-state third team

doc4790213d05246220205284.jpg

Columbia High running back Tiger Powell was named to the Class 4A All-State third team on Thursday. JASON MATTHEW WALKER/Lake City Reporter

Tigers running back had five games with more than 100 yards.

By TIM KIRBY

tkirby@lakecityreporter.com

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:48 PM EST

Columbia High sophomore Tiger Powell is a member of the Class 4A All-State

football team announced

by the Florida Sports Writers Association on Thursday.

Powell was a third-team selection at running back and the only Tiger so honored. Columbia finished the season 8-4 following a second-round playoff loss to Nease High.

Powell led the Tigers with 1,270 yards on 192 carries

and scored 17 rushing

touchdowns. He also caught 11 passes for 113 yards and one touchdown and had an interception while playing defense.

Powell rushed for 300 yards in the Orange Park High game and had four other games where he ran for more than 100 yards.

“Orange Park was my

breakout game,†said Powell, who scored four touchdowns in the 54-35 shootout,

including scoring runs of

90 and 88 yards. “My

linemen threw some good blocks and once I got past

the corners and safeties,

there was no catching me.â€

Powell is one of the

rare players who started

for Columbia as a freshman. He built on last year, when

he rushed for 970 yards

and seven touchdowns.

“When I was a ninth-grader playing with those guys

who are now in college, they kept pushing me,†Powell said. “They said I was

talented and had a great future in front of me. Every season my goal is to get

better. The coaches work

me every day in practice and I tell them to work me hard so I will get better.â€

Columbia running back coach Quinton Callum played at South Florida and

compared Powell to backs he had seen in college.

“Tiger is so big and unique by size and he runs with power and quickness,†Callum said. “He has quick feet and can block well. He has good vision and great hands. He can catch, run and block and once he puts them all together he will be a great running back.â€

Callum said the future is unlimited for Powell.

“He needs to continue to get stronger and work on his break-away speed,†Callum said. “Everything else is there. When he learns to play

aggressive, he will be

tremendous by his senior year. At times he shows it, but we forget he is a 15-16-year old.â€

Powell is looking for big things from the Tigers.

“We have a big class and everybody is a leader,†Powell said. “It makes me feel good playing with the boys I grew up with.â€

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2008/01/18/sports/doc4790213d05246220205284.txt

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

I feel Tiger will be a BULL.

I feel Tiger will be a BULL.

Maybe you can add him to your locker. Your ET namesake went to his school. LOL

TOOHIXKSGLWPPXW.20081112000836.jpg

Tiger On the Prowl 

Courtesy: VSM Florida FB

Release: 11/11/2008

Courtesy: Florida Times-Union

www.jacksonville.com

Tiger Powell 

IN THE HUDDLE 2010: Tiger Powell

When it comes to producing football talent, Lake City Columbia has never been short on talent. Take a look back through the years and you will find athletes – a number of them – who have made a name for themselves at this school, only to make an impact at the next level. Powell represents some of the best who have had the honor of playing at a program that has always been in the playoff mix.

Having the opportunity to see some of them best football talent live nationally, we went into this season believing that this gifted football player was as good a back as you will find – anywhere. When the first player rankings came out for the Class of 2010 in Florida, we were pleased to announce, by watching him play, that Powell was among the best in the state. Unlike some sources who continue to just give you names without a backup of watching the athlete play, our players are rated on what we see live at games, practices and other events, talking with the athletes and getting to know how special they are – away from the football field.

Today, IN THE HUDDLE brings us to North Florida for a look at one of the best running backs in a class that appears to be as talented as Florida has ever produced.

Ever since January of 2008, FloridaFB.com and Florida Football Magazine has attended workouts in places such as Fort Pierce, pre-game events in Port St. Joe, and camps and combines from Hallandale to the Lake City area where coach Craig Howard is trying to get the magic back!

THE POWELL REPORT

NAME: Tiger Powell

SCHOOL: Columbia

CITY: Lake City

POSITION: RB

HEIGHT: 6-0

WEIGHT: 210

40 TIME: 4.55 (Reported)

HEAD COACH: Craig Howard

SCOUTING POWELL: From the first time we watched him play live as a ninth grader, it was a matter of time until the nation began learning about this big, bruising and powerful back. He was that impressive – even as a 14-year-old who had four full years ahead of him.

Here is a physical runner who not only gets the tough short yards, but when he finds a hole, he darts to it and runs away from the opposition. This is a quality back who understands when to make cuts, and where to run to. Get him in open space and he simply makes the defense play – in a major way.

Having had the chance to see him perform over the first three years of his career, you can see him getting bigger and stronger, and even though his size has increased, Powell still has a running style that was picked up us a youngster who followed in the path of some tremendous athletes this school has produced through the years.

As a freshman, he was still searching for the chance to be a complete back. While running the ball has always been his forte, his blocking and pass receiving has improved each and every year. College coaches were most impressed by his ability to block and take on some bigger defensive linemen on blitz packages.

The one thing that has really improved is his ability to slip out of the backfield and match himself against a linebacker. With his speed, quickness and overall power, this a back who has separated himself from many of the greats in this class, and there are some very impressive runners, by bringing a total game to the table, and college coaches throughout the southeast have been sold – for years.

While several colleges are still looking at 2009 players, this is truly a 2010 kid who has the ability to make a lasting impression at the next level – and beyond, which is easy to understand after watching him from 7-feet away!

POWELL POWER: Last season, as a sophomore, Powell was a third-team selection at running back and the only Tiger so honored. Columbia finished the season 8-4 following a second-round playoff loss to Nease High. Powell led the Tigers with 1,270 yards on 192 carries and scored 17 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 11 passes for 113 yards and one touchdown and had an interception while playing defense.

Powell is one of just two freshmen ever to start for coach Danny Green at Columbia, and yes that includes standouts like Reinard Wilson, Kendyll Pope, Jerome Carter and Tre Orr. He was team MVP as a ninth grader!

WHAT THE COLLEGE RECRUITERS ARE SAYING: "Best running back I saw last year in Florida. In fact, as we scouted players in the region the past few years, we never saw anyone who had as much potential or who we believe will emerge into one of the better players in the nation for the Class of 2010."

HIS BAGS ARE PACKED: While FIU has offered, schools such as Florida, FSU, Georgia and Miami will remain in the hunt for this impressive football talent.

http://www.floridafb.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11200&ATCLID=1622838

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Maybe you can add him to your locker.

The school will decide after Selvie leaves.

Rivals.com Rivals250 To Watch 2010

Tiger Powell

Lake City (FL)     RB 6-1/210 list

Scouting Report: Powell is a powerful down hill back that's a horse between the tackles. For his size he has good speed and is also dangerous as a receiver out of the backfield.

http://usf.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=2303

Ask Jamie: Who’s the best back in 2010

By Jamie Newberg, Recruiting Analyst

Oct 16, 11:39 pm EDT

Top back in 2010

Who looks to be the top running back for the 2010 class?

Curtis from Las Vegas

——-

As always, there are a bunch of talented running backs. Who’s the top dog? While it’s still early, here’s a group who will be near the top of the 2010 class: Lache Seastrunk (Temple, Texas); Michael Dyer (Little Rock, Ark.); Corey Brown (Springfield, Pa.); Tiger Powell (Lake City, Fla.); Eduardo Clements (Miami); Jakhari Gore (Miami); Marcus Lattimore (Duncan, S.C.); D.J. Morgan (Woodland Hills, Calif.); Joseph Randle (Wichita, Kan.); Malcolm Jones (Westlake Village, Calif.); Nick Hill (Chelsea, Mich.); Austin White (Livonia, Mich.); Stephen Nixon (Las Vegas); Anthony Barr (Torrance, Calif.); Dillon Baxter (San Diego); and Deonte Cooper (Perris, Calif.).

I love the versatility of Lattimore, the speed and home-run threat of Seastrunk, and the elusive and electric running of Dyer. I know it’s early, but it’s that trio I see battling for the No. 1 running back spot for the class of 2010.

But I haven’t seen them all, and I am sure there will be many more worthy players who pop up soon.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=rivals-246431&prov=rivals&type=lgns

The Sun's Super 11The Gainesville Sun's 2008 Super 11 Football Prospects (listed by class and alphabetically)

QB David Campbell, 6-0, 205 Sr. Suwannee (undecided)

OL Tyrone Dixon 6-1, 280 Sr. Eastside (undecided)

ATH J.D. Kaymore 6-2, 180 Sr. Palatka (undecided)

OL Kendall Kelly 6-6, 305 Sr. Gainesville (USF commit)

OL/DL Kevin Lowery 6-3, 285 Sr. Gainesville (undecided)

ATH Jamal Reid 6-1, 180 Sr. Lafayette (undecided)

RB Rodney Scott 5-10, 195 Sr. Dixie County (Auburn commit)

OL Jordan Weingart 6-2, 290 Sr. Buchholz (West Virginia commit)

OL Steve Whitmer 6-1, 290 Sr. Newberry (undecided)

LB Brach Bessant 6-2, 220 Jr. Columbia (undecided)

RB Tiger Powell 6-1, 205 Jr. Columbia (undecided)

...Oh, and there's that Tiger Powell guy. It helps to have the state's top junior running back, too. Look for him to be showcased in a variety of ways.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080905/NEWS/809059971/0/GATORS01

Rivals has now added Tiger as a USF verbal:

March 9, 2009

Powell will run with the Bulls

Michael Langston

FlaVarsity.com

Columbia High school RB Tiger Powell needed only one weekend to know for sure where he wanted to play in college. Powell chose to stay in-state and play close to home when he committed to the South Florida Bulls this past weekend according to head coach Craig Howard. FV has the latest on yet another huge pick-up for South Florida.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

i didn't see an email address for him.  i was going to send him a picture of our new logo.

done....i found his email.  he changed it for us.  getting rid of "robo goat" is always a good thing.

Brian was very nice and receptive.

Archived