• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will USF beat out UF for another player?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

i didn't see an email address for him.  i was going to send him a picture of our new logo.

done....i found his email.  he changed it for us.

GMTA. Funny thing is I sent an e-mail to their webmaster yesterday:

You are STILL using this OLD logo for South Florida.

The correct USF logo which is the iconic U (below) has been in use for FIVE years.

Don't you think it's about time you updated?

Regards

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

I sent him 4.  The U, USF, Bulls and the shield.

his respsonse:

Ha ha, I was wondering which ones you all favored the most. There are like 20 of them.

With Clemson, it’s the Tiger Paw. With Florida, it’s the Gator Head……..etc., but my list of logos for USF is mind boggling.

Brian McLaughlin

Sporting News recruiting writer

SportingNewsToday.com

TheRecruitnik.com

RB Tiger Powell picks USF

By John Patton

Staff writer

Published: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.

Columbia High School’s class of 2010 tailback Tiger Powell has committed to the University of South Florida.

The 6-foot, 205-pound Powell had considered the University of Florida, among other schools such as Central Florida, Florida State and Michigan.

Powell has been a starter with the Tigers since he was a freshman.

http://www.gainesvillemoms.com/article/20090310/ARTICLES/903100931

Powell commits to Bulls

Juniors on the rise

doc49b6faa4ac443479852900.jpg

Columbia High’s Tiger Powell (6) stiff-arms an Oviedo High defender during a run in a 23-20 win for the Tigers last year. JASON MATTHEW WALKER/Lake City Reporter

By TIM KIRBY

tkirby@lakecityreporter.com

Published: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:11 AM EDT

The University of South Florida already has the winning ticket in what was expected to be a major sweepstakes for Columbia High running back Tiger Powell.

Powell said on Tuesday that he had made a verbal commitment to the South Florida staff that he would sign with the Bulls.

Powell recently visited the school for Junior Day with teammates Brach Bessant and Tim Jernigan.

“I met with the whole coaching staff,†Powell said. “When I went down there, a lot of boys remembered me and it felt like home.â€

Powell said he would attend the Bulls’ spring game on April 11 with his family, so they all could meet the South Florida coaches.

“We have really had no conversations,†Powell said of his meeting with the Bulls staff. “There has been no chance to talk one on one.â€

Powell was a rare freshman starter for Columbia and quickly joined the stable of running backs in 2006. He ended the season with 842 yards on 102 carries and scored seven touchdowns.

As a sophomore, Powell rushed for 1,270 yards on 192 carries. He showed offensive versatility with 11 catches for 113 yards. He also scored 18 touchdowns and was named third-team all-state.

Columbia changed coaches in 2008 and Powell was the one back in Craig Howard’s spread offense.

Powell rushed for 839 yards on 197 carries, caught 15 passes for 183 yards and scored another 15 touchdowns.

Powell is running track this spring — the 100 meters and 4x100 relay — as well as throwing the discus and participating in weightlifting.

He will join in the passing league for skill players as they continue to work on perfecting Columbia’s offense.

“Everybody is still learning the new system,†Powell said.

“We are taking it one step at a time. I am comfortable with it. Almost every college runs it.â€

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2009/03/11/sports/doc49b6faa4ac443479852900.txt

• 2 months later...

Tiger lost some weight to gain some speed and competed in track and field. He's off to a good start in spring football:

Soaked springs

doc4a176aa6a143c721404603.jpg

Columbia High's Tiger Power (4) is chased as he drives toward the goal line during the Purple and Gold game. JASON MATTHEW WALKER/Lake City Reporter

Tigers take it to Wolfson in spring game, win 24-0.

By TIM KIRBY

tkirby@lakecityreporter.com

Published: Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:09 AM EDT

JACKSONVILLE - Spread the defense and let Tiger Powell run through it. The plan worked like a charm in the first half as Columbia High beat Wolfson High 24-0. The second half against host Mandarin High was tougher. Columbia rebounded from a 7-0 deficit to win 10-7.

Powell had touchdown runs of 71 and 53 yards in the half against Wolfson. He also had a 75 yard run called back for a holding penalty downfield. In all, he rushed for 150 yards on 6 carries.

Quartez Pate got in on the action with a 25 yard touchdown run. Quarterback Cameron Sweat guided the attack and was 11-for-15 for 92 yards.

Columbia scored on its first three possessions. Chase Stamper kicked a 27 yard field goal and three PATs. It was Stamper’s 24 yard field goal that proved to be the difference in the matchup with Mandarin. It came with 2:23 to play.

Powell, who had all five carries in the 50 yard scoring drive to tie the game at 7-7, had three carries for 30 yards to set up the field goal.

Mandarin controlled the first quarter, and Columbia’s turnaround came on a fourth down sack by Brock Bassant and Timmy Jerningan.

The Tiger defense stopped another fourth down try that led to the field goal. Anjre Caldwell sealed the victory with a late interception.

Mandarin defeated Wolfson 21-0 in the first half of play.

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2009/05/23/sports/doc4a176aa6a143c721404603.txt

Archived