• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

6'7 Forward Glenn Bryant

Guest AstroBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  219
  • Days Won:  0

Clanton is good pickup but if we get any of the offers out there we will be fine..

IF. What school are we at again? 

Who cares how the talent gets here if its transfer JuCO or HS?

It matters when they're only here for 2 years or so. I'm not the first one to say building off junior college players and transfers is bad for the future. That said, that's not all on our roster but our biggest splashes have been Juco's or transfers for the most part.   

Jordan vs Dumars is a push.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I'll take montreal, famous or Marius over clanton as well.  IF we add Bryant and one other our class will be much better then theirs. 

So, if we add two guys that haven't even given us verbals our class will be better? Uh yeah, I agree it'd be competitive with theirs. We shouldn't be competitive with UCF in recruiting though.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,037

Come on, Stan! Bring him in!

• Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

With Famous signs lets get Bryant and Marcius to fill out the class.  Then what will you say about our recruiting class.  Throw in Crater and I think this is the best class we have ever had on paper.  But for maybe the BB and  Altron days

With Famous signs lets get Bryant and Marcius to fill out the class.  Then what will you say about our recruiting class.  Throw in Crater and I think this is the best class we have ever had on paper.  But for maybe the BB and  Altron days

Does it invalidate the fact that we've still had trouble getting these guys?

Yes, Famous is a big coup but come on this recruiting season has been a lot more trouble than it should've been.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

No it hasn't... there is no reason signing top talent should be easy for USF.  I don't care how tough it is... it is great when we can land talented players.

No it hasn't... there is no reason signing top talent should be easy for USF.  I don't care how tough it is... it is great when we can land talented players.

Be real, Famous doesnt' mean we're competing for "top talent" in general.

I love how people are invalidating the entire recruiting process because we got some good Juco player.

If we hadn't gotten Famous and were only waiting on the players we're waiting on now this process would've been a joke. I'm not particularly impressed with anyone from this class besides Famous. The class is a bit better than last season though.

Famous is the exception to the rule though, it's kind of retarded to have not gotten a commitment out of a guy like Montreal or even the guy we've changed to from King. These guys aren't huge studs. It should be easier to get guys of Montreal's caliber, and no way should we have lost out on Clanton. There's a problem when playing time in CUSA > playing time in the BE.

I don't expect huge leaps but I do expect to easily get almost any player that UCF can get. I'd rather have Jordan than Dumars and I'd rather have Garcia than Noriega/Burwell, even Clanton/Famous is almost a wash (given that we'd have Clanton a few years).

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Jordan had zero chance of coming here.... we weren't trying to get him and he had a zillion connections to UCF.  That is why he went there.  It wasn't a battle lost to UCF. 

We have more talent in the batch we are bringing in than we have had in ages, if not ever (bb and tron were part of a more highly rated class, of course... but look what that got us).  And they address our needs (3 pt shooting, rebounding, and post presence).  No one is saying one Juco makes us a successful recruiting team... but you are saying we should be one, that things should be easy for us.  That is the problem I have with your point.  There is no legit reason (YET) that we should be a good recruiting team.  That can change with a successful season.  We are bringing in some decent players DESPITE our aweful program history and lack of success in the Big East. 

• Content Count:  1,037

Be real, Famous doesnt' mean we're competing for "top talent" in general.

I love how people are invalidating the entire recruiting process because we got some good Juco player.

If we hadn't gotten Famous and were only waiting on the players we're waiting on now this process would've been a joke. I'm not particularly impressed with anyone from this class besides Famous. The class is a bit better than last season though.

Famous is the exception to the rule though, it's kind of retarded to have not gotten a commitment out of a guy like Montreal or even the guy we've changed to from King. These guys aren't huge studs. It should be easier to get guys of Montreal's caliber, and no way should we have lost out on Clanton. There's a problem when playing time in CUSA > playing time in the BE.

I don't expect huge leaps but I do expect to easily get almost any player that UCF can get. I'd rather have Jordan than Dumars and I'd rather have Garcia than Noriega/Burwell, even Clanton/Famous is almost a wash (given that we'd have Clanton a few years).

I generally like your opinion but I think you're wrong here.

Clanton wanted to stay closer to home (near his family), he was scared of playing in the big east when he could dominate in the CDOA, and he liked UCF's new arena. If I was in his shoes I may have done the same thing, especially with USF's recent attendance issues. Not a big deal.

Being a middle of the pack CDOA team may be greater than a Big east bottom feeder for some recruits...

And don't discount players like Dumars and Burwell. They have a lot of potential. Dumars can shoot lights out from beyond the arc, he just needs to work on his athleticism and that is something that can be worked on. Burwell has a lot of upside as well.

For the record guys I wasn't saying we're losing specific battles to UCF just that our class happens to be about equal (Clanton was just upgraded to a 4-star player).

Unless I'm missing someone it basically boils down to Clanton, Garcia, and Jordan vs. Famous, Burwell, Noreiga, and Dumars. I don't care why they got Jordan, and I don't think he'll be very good, but he's better than Dumars. Garcia is also better than both Burwell and Noreiga. Clanton, again, is probably the better investment over Famous (given the years he'll be there). Regardless though, they're fairly even classes.

That leads me to believe that one of two things is true:

a.) UCF is recruiting better than they ought to be,

b.) USF is recruiting worse than they ought to be.

I guess it's the facilities difference because we both allegedly have good recruiting coaches. We need to get to work on these facilities!

I do agree though that as soon as we muster up a decent squad that recruiting will get much easier. Hopefully next year will be that year we can be more than a bottom dweller. If DoJo gets marginally better, Gus improves after his first year and Famous is for real it could really help. Hopefully Crater will work out too, though Mercer left a very sour taste in my mouth and they seem to be buddies so I'm not holding my breath there.

Next year should be interesting, in the very least hopefully DoJo will begin getting credit.

• Content Count:  849

Clanton is good pickup but if we get any of the offers out there we will be fine..

IF. What school are we at again? 

Who cares how the talent gets here if its transfer JuCO or HS?

It matters when they're only here for 2 years or so. I'm not the first one to say building off junior college players and transfers is bad for the future. That said, that's not all on our roster but our biggest splashes have been Juco's or transfers for the most part.   

Jordan vs Dumars is a push.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I'll take montreal, famous or Marius over clanton as well.  IF we add Bryant and one other our class will be much better then theirs. 

So, if we add two guys that haven't even given us verbals our class will be better? Uh yeah, I agree it'd be competitive with theirs. We shouldn't be competitive with UCF in recruiting though.

The better our recruiting gets, the less likely the player is going to stay in college for more than 2 years....so you can effectively build a team with JUCOs and transfers....

Archived