• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why the drama?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  651
  • Days Won:  0

I hope this kid is the real deal, especially with that qoute of not having too many leaders on the team. Guys that have put in time to the program already won't like to hear that. But either way, best of luck hope he can come in right away and play!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I hope this kid is the real deal, especially with that qoute of not having too many leaders on the team. Guys that have put in time to the program already won't like to hear that. But either way, best of luck hope he can come in right away and play!

I understand exactly where you are coming from and I don't blame you. However, he probably was just parroting the words he heard in the recruiting pich given to him by a USF coach, that we need leaders and he could be one.

Anyway, this is a more lengthy article and provides better context for what he was trying to say:

South Florida lures three players from Monsignor Pace

By MANNY NAVARRO

mnavarro@MiamiHerald.com

When Monsignor Pace cornerback Kayvon Webster made his way on stage Wednesday to announce his college choice, he was wearing a University of Miami tie and a University of South Florida sweatshirt.

By the time Webster was done announcing where he was headed, his tie was tucked away and his prior commitment to the Canes was history -- much to the surprise of his stunned classmates.

''I was a little shocked,'' said receiver Sterling Griffin, who sat next to Webster when he made his announcement. ``He'd been pulling toward both schools. I always thought he was going to pull it out and go to UM. But I'm glad he's a Bull. We're just glad he's a Bull now.''

Webster, the No. 6 recruit in Miami-Dade, said he decided about an hour before his announcement that USF was the best place for him.

''I felt like at South Florida I'm going to have a bigger impact,'' said Webster, who had yet to inform UM coaches of his decision. ``They don't have too many leaders on their team and I feel like I can go there and set the example.''

It marked the second time in a 24-hour span the Bulls beat the Hurricanes head-to-head for a recruit in the 2009 class. Late Tuesday night, Jacksonville Parker linebacker Sam Barrington, uncommitted, announced he was choosing the Bulls over Miami and Illinois.

The signing created a clean sweep for the Bulls for the top three recruits at Pace, a Class 3A state semifinalist. Receivers Sterling Griffin and Derrick Hopkins, teammates of Webster's on Pace's state championship 400-meter relay team, also signed with USF.

''All three of us are explosive, impact players,'' Hopkins said. ``That's what we're bringing to Tampa.''

Webster said there was nothing negative UM did to lose him. He just said his relationship with USF coach Jim Leavitt -- and an earlier offer from the Bulls -- helped sway him.

''The Bulls the last two, three years, they're rising up,'' Webster said. ``Everybody knows how they are. I want to get my name there and make it a special place for other recruits.

``Everybody probably thinks I'm crazy. But I like Coach Leavitt. He's not going to sit in front of my face and tell me lies. I'm not saying anybody lied to me. I'm just thinking I had a closer relationship with Coach Leavitt.''

The Hurricanes play South Florida four of the next five seasons. Griffin said he can't wait to face UM, which didn't really recruit him.

''I feel like USF is the team of the future and with the recruiting class we have right now and all three of us together, that chemistry is going to help,'' Griffin said. ``We're going to play Florida State, Miami, I think we can prove to the nation we deserve to be respected.''

Said Webster of next year's game against UM: ``It's going to be a game to watch. That's all I've got to say.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/um/story/888077.html

Archived