• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2008 National Leaders in Penalties - USF ranking

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

http://cfbstats.com/2008/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category14/sort04.html

I just stumbled upon this site today.  We were 119th this year.  If you look at the previous years, we havent finished above 113th.  Any thoughts?  Are we ranked so low because we are only 12 years old and the older, traditional programs have had decades of a head start to sort it out?  ;D  I'd like to hear the spin on this.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,694
  • Days Won:  424

http://cfbstats.com/2008/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category14/sort04.html

I just stumbled upon this site today.  We were 119th this year.  If you look at the previous years, we havent finished above 113th.  Any thoughts?  Are we ranked so low because we are only 12 years old and the older, traditional programs have had decades of a head start to sort it out?   ;D  I'd like to hear the spin on this.

Considering, if you look at the previous years, we finished higher than more than a few older, traditional programs INCLUDING the mnc's the year they won it, my spin is, as usual, you really don't have a clue. ;D

• Content Count:  901

I just stumbled upon this site today.  We were 119th this year.  If you look at the previous years, we havent finished above 113th.  Any thoughts?  Are we ranked so low because we are only 12 years old and the older, traditional programs have had decades of a head start to sort it out?   ;D  I'd like to hear the spin on this.

dork alert!

• Content Count:  667

Considering, if you look at the previous years, we finished higher than more than a few older, traditional programs INCLUDING the mnc's the year they won it, my spin is, as usual, you really don't have a clue. ;D

so, are you saying penalties are ok to commit?

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

He is saying that you can commit penalties and still win games/Conference Championships/National Championships. See 2006 UF!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,694
  • Days Won:  424

I'm saying that 3 of the bottom 9 on this year's list won their conference titles so, obviously, that statisitic has little to do with the overall success of the team ..... nice try, though.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

There is purely no correlation to the number of penalties and the record of the team. If the bottom 10 in penalties had to face the top 10 in penalties, the leaders in overall penalties committed would smoke those schools. What a more realistic statistic would be comparing team GPA's for the bottom 10 vs the top 10 in penalties. I believe this would give a better indication of overall discipline and why certain schools have more penalties than others. 

Seeing BYU in the bottom 10 makes perfect sense... If you are a football star at BYU, you have potentially a 10% chance of getting laid. Essentially, those guys have a lot of frustration built up, and take it out on their opponents during the games. Cinci, FSU, FIU... not necessarily the Vienna Boys Choir if you know what I mean. Conversely, Army, Navy, Syracuse, Northwestern... takes some great SAT's to get into those schools.

Ball State... can't figure out how David Letterman U is the least penalized team in football. If they can do it, we sure and the hell can do better than 119th.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

A telling statistic... In games we lost, we averaged 10 penalties a game. In games we won, only 7.6. Very interesting to say the least.

• Content Count:  1,894

Lol...you guys should try to be smart about this. You said this guy doesn't have a clue.

The National Championship winners...and the other powerhouses can get away with making more penalties because they make up for it with skill. We on the other hand can't afford to make this many penalties and expect to win. I surely hope you would agree with that.

Exactly, SEE FLORIDA 06!!!..

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

The National Championship winners...and the other powerhouses can get away with making more penalties because they make up for it with skill. We on the other hand can't afford to make this many penalties and expect to win.

this.

they also make up for it with better overall playcalling and gameplanning.

u also have to consider other variables... some teams committ penalties out of overaggressive play and effort.  some teams committ penalties out of lack of discipline.

anyone care to guess which one we are?

Archived