• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So, what's next year looking like?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I have no idea, all I can hope is that this team has alot of young fresh and soph that have more talent then the players leaving, they just wont have experince to go with it.

So next year I expect about the same but maybe not quite as bad in conf play maybe 3 or 4 wins. Now the year after that hopefully will be a really good year after the younger players got some playing time.

This is my positive look at whats ahead :)

Most important we need upgrades on the offensive coaching side of the team if they want to get better.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Next season look for USF to have a record similar to this years or last years, essentially more of the same.  A couple of big wins and three to four dissapointing loses with USF finishing in the middle or near the bottom in the Big East standings.

And the majority of the fans on this board and campus will be FREAKING ECSTATIC with that and will expect again to go the St Pete Bowel or maybe the Orange Bowl. 

And on top of that we will get to keep the entire same coaching staff.  I am so happy with that vision I could just bust.

To the comment in bold type, can you name 5 fans on this board, let alone a majority?

Frustration leads to some crazy stuff.

Hells bells there are NO more than just me that think we do not deserve to go to this bowl.  And it isn't about practice time to attend a bowl.  It is about money and money alone.  Look at the ticket sales or those on this board planning to go to such a prestigous bowl game.

The way this team played in CONFERENCE play they need to sit at home and think about how to improve the team mentally and aggressivley.  Yes I know I harp about conference play but that is the most important part of a schedule.  The OOC games played are tune up games, practice so to say really.  OOC games are for getting your kaka in one wad.  Seeing where the weaknesses are, where the strengths are and to develope those strengths and eliminate the weaknesses.  This part of the job being done by the ENTIRE coaching staff has not been accomplished for the past 2 conference seasons.  In the real world if you do not perform at or above your level you are let go, no questions asked.

Time to develope your killer instinct and learn not to let down or look past certain games.

End of rant.

See, the thing is.. last year, there was a LEGITIMATE REASON why UF had the year they did-- lack of experience on defense.  they came back this year, with experience under their belt, and look what happened.

OU also sniffed the big time and even got to a BCS game last year.

The difference between us and them (or even programs like us and WVU in our own conference) is that when they have a down year, EVERYONE KNOWS why they do.  there are things you can point at-- and you can usually predict pretty accurately how they will do.  For us, it's not like that.  we get preseason ranked and we go into the tank.  We get a bunch of kids returning and we finish 2-5.  We beat Auburn on the road, but lose to an average Rutgers team on thursday night???  We beat a Kansas team at home but lose to louisville???  and those aren't just 1-game hiccups.. i mean, we TANK when conference play rolls around.

see, that's the difference.. i dont think people are doom and gloom, people are legitimately QUESTIONING this program.. what the hell is actually going on??

Exactly...I am not giving up of our football program.  I want to know what the hell is going on with our conference play?  Playing in a bowl game is not going to solve the problems, hell bells it may even instill those problems deeper.  Please realistically look at the last 2 years. 

We just want to know WTF is going on?  But we are not getting any answers. 

End of rant.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

See, the thing is.. last year, there was a LEGITIMATE REASON why UF had the year they did-- lack of experience on defense.  they came back this year, with experience under their belt, and look what happened.

The difference between us and them (or even programs like us and WVU in our own conference) is that when they have a down year, EVERYONE KNOWS why they do.  there are things you can point at-- and you can usually predict pretty accurately how they will do.  For us, it's not like that.  we get preseason ranked and we go into the tank.  We get a bunch of kids returning and we finish 2-5.  We beat Auburn on the road, but lose to an average Rutgers team on thursday night???  We beat a Kansas team at home but lose to louisville???  and those aren't just 1-game hiccups.. i mean, we TANK when conference play rolls around.

see, that's the difference.. i dont think people are doom and gloom, people are legitimately QUESTIONING this program.. what the hell is actually going on??

Exactly...I am not giving up of our football program.  I want to know what the hell is going on with our conference play?  Playing in a bowl game is not going to solve the problems, hell bells it may even instill those problems deeper.  Please realistically look at the last 2 years.   

End of rant.

Do you guys HONESTLY think that we have the talent that UF and Oklahoma have? Let alone the depth, just look at the talent. Bradford and Tebow are heisman candidates this year (with Tebow already having one). Where's our Percy Harvin? Do we have a true playmaker like that? Our O-line, while experienced this year, was no where even in the same league as those schools (see RU 2007, they blew through our line all night).

This is what I find hilarious about posters here. Yeah, we were in the top-10 the last 2 years, and with everything firing on all cylinders, we can play with anyone, but we're not there yet. We can't do it week in and week out. If Grothe has a bad game, we lose. There is no one else on the offense that can step up and take the lead. If Tebow is off, they can go to Harvin, or Demps/Rainey, or Jacobs. We don't have those types of players. I don't understand how anyone can possibly compare us to UF or Oklahoma. Yeah, it's easy to point to a reason for a down year when talent has been eliminated from the equation.

-before I get the "I wasn't comparing us to OU or UF" excuse, please note that my point was that it is easy to point out the reason for a bad year for those programs, while it is just as easy to be skeptical of the talent in our young program.

To answer the original question, I think we get 10 wins next year, and possibly win the BE. It's going to fall on the OL in my opinion. While we are losing experience, I am hoping that as we have gotten better, our recruits are better, so a sophomore can step in and be nearly as good as our seniors this year. We need to continue to have success so that we can sell the program to recruits.

End of rant.

Do you guys HONESTLY think that we have the talent that UF and Oklahoma have? Let alone the depth, just look at the talent. Bradford and Tebow are heisman candidates this year (with Tebow already having one). Where's our Percy Harvin? Do we have a true playmaker like that? Our O-line, while experienced this year, was no where even in the same league as those schools (see RU 2007, they blew through our line all night).

This is what I find hilarious about posters here. Yeah, we were in the top-10 the last 2 years, and with everything firing on all cylinders, we can play with anyone, but we're not there yet. We can't do it week in and week out. If Grothe has a bad game, we lose. There is no one else on the offense that can step up and take the lead. If Tebow is off, they can go to Harvin, or Demps/Rainey, or Jacobs. We don't have those types of players. I don't understand how anyone can possibly compare us to UF or Oklahoma. Yeah, it's easy to point to a reason for a down year when talent has been eliminated from the equation.

-before I get the "I wasn't comparing us to OU or UF" excuse, please note that my point was that it is easy to point out the reason for a bad year for those programs, while it is just as easy to be skeptical of the talent in our young program.

To answer the original question, I think we get 10 wins next year, and possibly win the BE. It's going to fall on the OL in my opinion. While we are losing experience, I am hoping that as we have gotten better, our recruits are better, so a sophomore can step in and be nearly as good as our seniors this year. We need to continue to have success so that we can sell the program to recruits.

Why shouldn't we have the talent and depth as UF or Oklahoma?  If we are going to schedule them and playthem then we need to have the same "guns" they do or we will not be competetive and should go back to Div IAA or just go back to being an independent and not belong to a conference at all.

Hell yes we should be as talented and have the depth of UF or Oklahoma.  We are expected to be as talented and have the depth if we are going to schedule the big boys in OOC.  If not why play them?  For the experience?  BULLSHIRT on experience.  Who is going to benefit from this "experience"?  The players? 

If we are not successful in our conference then how can we sell recruits to come here? 

If we do not win our conference championship how do you get QUALITY recruits? 

If we do not start competeing with the big boys with our OOC where do we get the recruits that will be able to step up if our "stars" stumble? 

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Hell yes we should be as talented and have the depth of UF or Oklahoma.  We are expected to be as talented and have the depth if we are going to schedule the big boys in OOC.  If not why play them?  For the experience?  BULLSHIRT on experience.  Who is going to benefit from this "experience"?   The players? 

If we do not start competeing with the big boys with our OOC where do we get the recruits that will be able to step up if our "stars" stumble? 

1. We should be as talented as storied programs like OU and UF? In our 12 season of football? Really? So, you're Tim Tebow, it's 2005, you're being recruited by USF (just moved into a depleted BE Conference), and you're being recruited by Florida, a school that just invested a ton of money (that USF doesn't have) into a new coach. Where would you go? For you to say that we should be as talented at UF or OU is absolutely insane. I love my Bulls as much as anyone, but be realistic. We're getting there, we're not there yet. You do realize that the majority of our seniors were recruited to play in C-USA (assuming they red-shirted in 2004, and were recruited in 2003). And, if I remember (and I am sure my numbers are off, but someone will correct), the 2003 season was our first in C-USA, so really, we were a nobody then.

2. Seems like we have done fine OOC. Auburn, Kansas. I don't think there are many recruits stepping away after those games. I agree, our conference play has to get better.

Bottom line, we need a Julio Jones to help out our QB (Grothe next year, then Daniels). We're a passing team. Ford and Taylor are going to be fine running, but we need a big time, big play maker as a receiver.

1. We should be as talented as storied programs like OU and UF? In our 12 season of football? Really? So, you're Tim Tebow, it's 2005, you're being recruited by USF (just moved into a depleted BE Conference), and you're being recruited by Florida, a school that just invested a ton of money (that USF doesn't have) into a new coach. Where would you go? For you to say that we should be as talented at UF or OU is absolutely insane. I love my Bulls as much as anyone, but be realistic. We're getting there, we're not there yet. You do realize that the majority of our seniors were recruited to play in C-USA (assuming they red-shirted in 2004, and were recruited in 2003). And, if I remember (and I am sure my numbers are off, but someone will correct), the 2003 season was our first in C-USA, so really, we were a nobody then.

2. Seems like we have done fine OOC. Auburn, Kansas. I don't think there are many recruits stepping away after those games. I agree, our conference play has to get better.

Bottom line, we need a Julio Jones to help out our QB (Grothe next year, then Daniels). We're a passing team. Ford and Taylor are going to be fine running, but we need a big time, big play maker as a receiver.

Yes we should be ...if we are wanting to be part of the BCS like evryone wants us to then get the FREAKING tools to do the job or do not become part of the BCS...If we were not ready for the BCS then we should have stayed in C-USA until we were.

And if the big play maker gets hurt, suspended or transfers...who takes over for him?  We would have the depth to make an adequate replacement and if we do not compete we will not have the depth.

• Content Count:  1,390

Yes we should be ...if we are wanting to be part of the BCS like evryone wants us to then get the FREAKING tools to do the job or do not become part of the BCS...If we were not ready for the BCS then we should have stayed in C-USA until we were.

And if the big play maker gets hurt, suspended or transfers...who takes over for him?  We would have the depth to make an adequate replacement and if we do not compete we will not have the depth.

By your standards, about 90% of the BCS teams aren't "ready" for the BCS.

• Content Count:  1,390

According to Rivals, we currently have a better recruiting class than the following BCS teams: Arizona, Ole Miss, Cincy, Baylor, NC ST, Northwestern, AZ ST, Boston College, Colorado, Oregon St, Vanderbilt, Washington ST., Iowa, UConn, Iowa St, Purdue, Louisville, Washington and Syracuse.

While those obviously aren't the USC's or UF's of college football, are thes programs (some of which have been around for 100 years) NOT ready to be in a BCS conference just because they don't compete for a national title every year? Give me a break.

• Content Count:  919

I'm going to try and educate Bullo, although I'm sure it will be a waste of my time.

There is NO WAY USF is going to be as talented anytime soon as UF and OU.  There are a handful of teams that stock their rosters every year with 5 star kids, and they will be the ones competing year in and year out for the National Championship.  Schools like UF, OU, Texas, LSU, Ohio State, and USC.  You could maybe throw UGA in there with their talent.

The caliber of athlete on those teams is superior to most schools in the nation, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.  If you think USF should be on a similar talent level as those schools, you are delusional.  OUR PROGRAM IS 12 YEARS OLD!

Other BCS schools can compete with those schools from time to time, given the right circumstances in a given year, and there is no reason USF can't be one of them.  But, it ain't going to happen overnight.  Let's wait until Signing Day to see how this year's recruiting class shakes out for a sign of progress.

And the comment that USF should have stayed in CUSA if we weren't ready for the BCS - that pretty much shows Bullo doesn't quite understand college football.

Archived