• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sport Mgmt Program at USF

tamiamibull05

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

Hate to say it, but a sports management degree is a waste of time if you want to work in the business side of sports.  Experience trumps all, believe me I've "experienced" it first hand.

I would recommend majoring in marketing, finance, or management.  If you really want a career in sports you should begin interning ASAP.  From there you will most likely need a MBA or a duel Master of Sports Managemtn/MBA.  You could get this by applying for several programs across the country (some have good graduate assistant programs).

In college sports for instance, employees jump around until they reach a mid-management type level Assistant AD or such.  From there they work until there is a higher level opening somewhere. 

Many actually intern work a year or so, then work in corporate america, then come back in a higher role.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I had a buddy that went from USF undergrad to Michigan State for his Law degree.

Yup, the Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University.

• Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

I disagree with the assertion that a degree in sport management is worthless, especially if that program, like mine, puts its students into a practicum/internship track. Most people say, "Oh, well, an internship is what you really need, not a degree." Thing is, a vast majority of internships in sports have the requirement that its interns receive college credit for their work, particularly in a sport mgmt program. So, if there's a program that helps to place you in a particular internship, you're ahead of others out there that don't have that connection. In addition, nearly all of the students working in FSU's athletic program are sport mgmt students.

The program here at FSU is very good and is one of the top sport mgmt programs in the country. I just find it unfortunate that USF doesn't have one...otherwise I'd probably still be there. I do agree with Rocky Top in that a law degree is vital and USF step up to the plate and start a law school as well. After I get a Master's, I endeavor to get earn a law degree as well.

Archived