• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN SE recruiting Blog: In-state battle for Eugene Smith?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

In-state battle for Smith?

Word is Florida State is making a strong push for quarterback Eugene Smith (Miramar, Fla.) and that they may have to beat South Florida to land him. Smith has been a lean to West Virginia and later Michigan during the process but now could be staying closer to home.

While his recruitment is somewhat in doubt, his talent is not. Smith will be a great addition to any recruiting class.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3648343&name=Southeast_Recruiting

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, a few articles have mentioned us being the team to be beat.  I hope it stays that way.  If he comes next year and redshirts he could win the job for 4 years, potentially.  FSU seems set with Ponder.  Guess we'll see.

• Content Count:  113

Whoever is recruiting Geno just needs to tell him the following two words:

"Xavier Lee"

;D

• Content Count:  993

FSU has two RS sophomores and are redshirting a stud, EJ Manuel, they need to leave Eugene Smith alone.

• Content Count:  4,016

FSU has two RS sophomores and are redshirting a stud, EJ Manuel, they need to leave Eugene Smith alone.

Amen, EJ Manuel is a five star stud.  We could use some good karma with Smith and Giddens.  Those two would be beautiful conclusion to this class.

• Content Count:  3,403

Amen, EJ Manuel is a five star stud.  We could use some good karma with Smith and Giddens.  Those two would be beautiful conclusion to this class.

Wow, I forgot about EJ Manuel.  We have BJ Daniels, too, but Manuel would be tougher to compete against if you believe in recruiting rankings.  The last 8 years shows me USF has had better QBs, though.

• Content Count:  4,016

Wow, I forgot about EJ Manuel.  We have BJ Daniels, too, but Manuel would be tougher to compete against if you believe in recruiting rankings.  The last 8 years shows me USF has had better QBs, though.

We do have BJ Daniels but the difference at FSU is they've got Christian Ponder and Vontey Richardson both are RS-Sophs, and both have seen significant playing time this year.  If you're Smith and go to FSU, the prospects of seeing even an ounce of playing time probably doesn't occur until 2011, at USF next year Gregory is more than likely gone, Grothe is a RS-Senior, and BJ Daniels only has a year head start on you.  Basically you could see minutes in 2009 ala BJ this year, and be poised to start or battle BJ for the start in 2010.

Smith has to ask himself what is the better opportunity.  USF is closer to his family, they run a true spread for years which is a bit more conducive to his HS offense (i know FSU was trying to impliment it this year but it hasn't looked great most of the time), USF's offense is ranked top 20, USF has been steady on him from day one.  The only reason a kid like Smith would pick an FSU over USF is because of old stereo-types and fan pressure.  Keep the fingers crossed because I like where USF sits with this one.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The only reason a kid like Smith would pick an FSU over USF is because of old stereo-types and fan pressure. 

True True, but we've been burned by that scenario in the past.  Certainly keep your fingers crossed.

Archived