• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East conference tiebreakers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Since there seems to be some confusion about this point:

TWO WAY TIE

1. Head to head

THREE WAY TIE

1. Head to head (if one team in the tie beat both the others, that team goes to the BCS bowl)

2. Highest ranked team in the final BCS poll

FOUR WAY TIE

1. Head to head (if one team beat all three other teams in the tie, that team goes to the BCS bowl)

2. The highest ranked team among the teams that went 2-1 against the other teams in the tie

So the BCS poll ranking only breaks a tie if it is three-way or more, and head-to-head doesn't resolve it.

Long version: http://www.bigeast.org/fls/19400/pdfs/football/tiebreak.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=19400&KEY=&SPID=11215&SPSID=94741

• Content Count:  113

I don't get it, how was UConn able to get a share of the conference title last year after losing to WVU? I thought WVU got the BCS nod only because they were the highest ranked BCS team.

Was this rule changed over the summer?

• Content Count:  113

OK nevermind.

Serves me right for asking stupid questions before reading the link.

• Content Count:  1,386

The tiebreakers are only for who goes to the BCS bowl game. If more than one team has the same conference record to lead the BE, then all of those teams are co-champions no matter who won what. I think that is stupid and the BE should have a tiebreaker procedure to decide a champion as well, but that's just me.

Kizarvexis

Guest nybullsfan

Since there seems to be some confusion about this point:

TWO WAY TIE

1. Head to head

THREE WAY TIE

1. Head to head (if one team in the tie beat both the others, that team goes to the BCS bowl)

2. Highest ranked team in the final BCS poll

FOUR WAY TIE

1. Head to head (if one team beat all three other teams in the tie, that team goes to the BCS bowl)

2. The highest ranked team among the teams that went 2-1 against the other teams in the tie

So the BCS poll ranking only breaks a tie if it is three-way or more, and head-to-head doesn't resolve it.

Long version: http://www.bigeast.org/fls/19400/pdfs/football/tiebreak.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=19400&KEY=&SPID=11215&SPSID=94741

Thanks for finding this!

Archived