• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm living my USF sports dream

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

For me, USF sports are much more than just scoreboards and winning or losing, they represent the essence of the school –the school’s spirits and identity. When I first started at USF, all we had was a one-horse and buggy show with men’s basketball, which was in the Sun Belt Conference. Hakim Shahid was a senior when I was killing roaches in Beta Hall as a freshman. And while all the other big state schools were trying to win the National Championship in football, all we had at USF were talks of maybes. Basically, if you enrolled at USF, you knew you were going to a university that didn’t play big-time college sports. Heck, UCF was way ahead of us in terms of sports –they had football!

I’ll admit it. I visited friends both Tallahassee and Gainesville during that time. And for each game, their stadium was packed, there was national coverage, and all over their campus everything was alive! It was unbelievable. And, of course, I had a great time. After each trip I’d come back to USF to find everything as quiet as can be on our campus; the place was dead.  

All I ever wanted was a piece of the pie at USF, to know what it was like to not live vicariously and to experience it as a USF Bull for myself.

Here’s one of my saddest memories as a Bull. I forget the year, maybe it was the cretaceous period or some time after, but USF was playing UAB in the C-USA Tournament. After class, I rushed over to the basement recreational/games area hoping to catch it on the TV. I ran in and some dudes were watching MTV. I told them of the game but they didn’t care and refused to change the channel… I think eventually I caught part of the game over at the gym.

Okay, here’s my point:

To me, everything that USF has today in terms of sports is almost sacred. I just feel extremely lucky to be a part of it all (and not be 90 years old), to have the dream that many of us way back when were praying would happen one day. In many ways, things, as they are, are beyond my wildest dreams.

(1) Yeah, it sucks to lose or to see USF perform poorly sometimes: But I will never rag on my Bulls because I know what it was like to have almost nothing at USF.

(2) However bad things can get after a game, USF sports as a whole is light years from where it came from just some short years ago and that joy outweighs any immediate growing pains our teams may be going through.

(3) And any Bull who picks the opponent over USF on any given game: You just don’t have a clue (about what it means to be a Bull and to endure what USF sports has gone through).

Anyway, this is just how I feel as a Bull. Say whatever you want and criticize the team all you want, and even calling for coaches’ heads after one or two losses; it’s a free country. But keep in mind, for many of us older Bulls, we are living our USF sports dream.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

I agree with you 100%, i remember going to Curtis Hixon to watch a home game of USF vs. Georgia State etc with less than 1,000 fans and just hoping someday we would have a div 3 football program. Now we are 1A and going to BE, i have season tix and travel from Miami for all home games. Its amazing were we are and how fast it has happened.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

The only thing I disagree with is the premise that it is wrong to predict a loss from our team.  I think it is possible to be realistic about our team's chances in a particular game, and still be a true fan.  Yes, sometimes there are people that take it too far, and it pisses me off when they do.  However, there's nothing wrong with beinga realist.

Guest AstroBull

I don't have the "privilage" of seeing USF from the start, but even since i've started following the Bulls with Sarosi, McBee, and Lewis I have been amazed at the way the athletic program has shot through the roof.  Men's soccer and women's basketball look ready to break the door in their respective sports.  Tennis, Softball, and Volleyball have always been good.  Men's basketball and women's soccer is gonna improve (and they don't have a reason not to.)  And what about the football team.  I was a freshman in high school and remember wondering why Sarosi was going to USF.  Then I hear that they are going 1-A and joining C-USA.  Shortly after that, McBee and Lewis sign with you guys.  The next year I see a clipping of Derrick celebrating after the Pitt win, then I knew they were gonna be big.  Its amazing what LRS and CJL has done with this.  From a dream and a couple of trailers to a beautiful athletic center, an invite to a BCS confrence, and a shot to play at a major bowl game.  It is gonna be great down the line when I see USF play for a national championship and know how hard these guys worked to get a great program going.  I'm just rambling but I can't wait for the future.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

i agree 99%

but criticism is part of the plan

man we have come a long way

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

BasketBull you are the essence of USF....You are a shining example for other Bulls.  Thank you for being around and keeping the spirits up and charging.  That makes me proud to be a Bull Alum Class of 81. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Being critical of the team's play or predicting a loss doesnt make one more or less of a fan.

It's called being realistic.

If I were to predict USF going 2-9 this year, that doesnt mean I'd be rooting against them just so I'm correct on my prediction. What it means is: I think theyre gonna go 2-9, but if they go 9-2, I'll be happier than a pig in ****.

We're all fans. Some of us are more realistic than others.

Guest wildrover
Being critical of the team's play or predicting a loss doesnt make one more or less of a fan.

It's called being realistic.

If I were to predict USF going 2-9 this year, that doesnt mean I'd be rooting against them just so I'm correct on my prediction. What it means is: I think theyre gonna go 2-9, but if they go 9-2, I'll be happier than a pig in ****.

We're all fans. Some of us are more realistic than others.

Amen brother, the idea that predicting a loss makes you less of a fan is almost insulting.  

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

For me, USF sports are much more than just scoreboards and winning or losing, they represent the essence of the school –the school’s spirits and identity. When I first started at USF, all we had was a one-horse and buggy show with men’s basketball, which was in the Sun Belt Conference. Hakim Shahid was a senior when I was killing roaches in Beta Hall as a freshman. And while all the other big state schools were trying to win the National Championship in football, all we had at USF were talks of maybes. Basically, if you enrolled at USF, you knew you were going to a university that didn’t play big-time college sports. Heck, UCF was way ahead of us in terms of sports –they had football!

I’ll admit it. I visited friends both Tallahassee and Gainesville during that time. And for each game, their stadium was packed, there was national coverage, and all over their campus everything was alive! It was unbelievable. And, of course, I had a great time. After each trip I’d come back to USF to find everything as quiet as can be on our campus; the place was dead.  

All I ever wanted was a piece of the pie at USF, to know what it was like to not live vicariously and to experience it as a USF Bull for myself.

Here’s one of my saddest memories as a Bull. I forget the year, maybe it was the cretaceous period or some time after, but USF was playing UAB in the C-USA Tournament. After class, I rushed over to the basement recreational/games area hoping to catch it on the TV. I ran in and some dudes were watching MTV. I told them of the game but they didn’t care and refused to change the channel… I think eventually I caught part of the game over at the gym.

Okay, here’s my point:

To me, everything that USF has today in terms of sports is almost sacred. I just feel extremely lucky to be a part of it all (and not be 90 years old), to have the dream that many of us way back when were praying would happen one day. In many ways, things, as they are, are beyond my wildest dreams.

(1) Yeah, it sucks to lose or to see USF perform poorly sometimes: But I will never rag on my Bulls because I know what it was like to have almost nothing at USF.

(2) However bad things can get after a game, USF sports as a whole is light years from where it came from just some short years ago and that joy outweighs any immediate growing pains our teams may be going through.

(3) And any Bull who picks the opponent over USF on any given game: You just don’t have a clue (about what it means to be a Bull and to endure what USF sports has gone through).

Anyway, this is just how I feel as a Bull. Say whatever you want and criticize the team all you want, and even calling for coaches’ heads after one or two losses; it’s a free country. But keep in mind, for many of us older Bulls, we are living our USF sports dream.

I don't normally post over here because this is your main board but I was reading your post and I think I was in Beta Hall around the same time.  I remember Hakeem Shahid when I was there.  I was in 3W.  Where were you?  I always wanted to get in touch with some of those guys on the floor but never knew how to get a hold of them.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

MAVTECHKNIGHT... how did you end up at UCF then if you lived in BETA? I know UCF has a huge rep as a commuter school, but I can't bullieve they would have you commute from Tampa to Orlando because UCF lacked the great dorms we did!