• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pack takes on latest ranked opponent

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,045
  • Days Won:  469

tech_header.gif

Pack takes on latest ranked opponent

South Florida is the fourth ranked team State has played in five games

By: Josh Harrell

Posted: 9/26/08

Three or four years ago, the football team's 2008 schedule may not have looked so tough. With East Carolina's and South Florida's still-budding programs, the games looked like the typical nonconference fare of many BCS schools.

But with both teams ranked this year and on an early schedule that has also included South Carolina and Clemson, the Wolfpack is playing its fourth ranked team in its first five games, with the Gamecocks since dropping from the polls.

This week's nationally-ranked opponent is No. 13 South Florida, whose quarterback Matt Grothe, was on many preseason Heisman watch lists, and whose defense is ranked 12th nationally.

"They bring a lot of skill, a lot of speed to the table, they're 4-0 and deserving of their ranking," coach Tom O'Brien said.

Speed is one of the key elements of South Florida's attack. With defensive ends George Selvie and Jarriett Buie and an experienced secondary, to go with Grothe, the dual-threat quarterback who has a completion percentage of 65.2 percent, State will have plenty on its hands yet again.

Linebacker Ray Michel is confident, despite the loss of star linebacker Nate Irving, that State's defense can contain Grothe's mobility.

"We've played against good teams with good running quarterbacks like ECU," Michel said. "Our D-line should be able to contain him."

Due mainly to former coach Chuck Amato's affection for Florida players, State has 13 players on its current roster from the Sunshine State. Back when many of them were recruited, players like Michel didn't see South Florida as a program on par with N.C. State. But that's certainly not the case anymore.

"When they recruited me out of high school, I didn't even look that way, I was trying to look at the big-name schools," Michel said. "To see them where they're at is surprising, but I'm happy for them."

The Bulls are the next team on a schedule that has the Pack playing ranked opponents nearly every week. O'Brien says he enjoys the challenge, but wishes injuries hadn't decimated his roster.

"Certainly we would be in a better place if we had had nine guys who started for us not playing for us right now," O'Brien said. "That's the biggest concern we have."

The Pack has had two ACC Players of the Week awards this year, given to Irving and just last week to quarterback Russell Wilson. Both players are sitting out Saturday's game.

The injuries force players like true freshman Dwayne Maddox -- a highly touted recruit from Shelby, N.C., into the spotlight in an important spot at linebacker. He's played in each of the Pack's first four games and had considerable playing time after Irving's injury against ECU.

"He's a great prospect. If we were in the fifth or sixth year of the program here he probably would have been redshirted because you would have had players," O'Brien said. "But he's forced to play and I know he's excited and we're excited to see him."

Redshirt junior Harrison Beck will fill in for Wilson. Beck had a solid game against William & Mary, completing 17-of-25 for 246 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. But in spot duty last week against ECU, he was 3-of-8 with two turnovers.

"He's played some and was probably one of the major factors against William & Mary," O'Brien said. "Hopefully he can carry that over and throw the ball the way he did and execute the offense the way he did against William & Mary."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

"When they recruited me out of high school, I didn't even look that way, I was trying to look at the big-name schools," Michel said. "To see them where they're at is surprising, but I'm happy for them."

My, how things have changed.

Archived