• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Mangold

Guest HowieP1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

A kid drops out of school basically.  This late in the school year.  What happens to his grades.  Does he get an "I" or does he get an "F"?

How does a kid even keep his eligibility after basically dropping out of school in his first sememster.

He dropped out over two weeks ago.  He wasn't even in school for one month.  He can simply get an "I", and transfer to another school.  Because of the transfer rules he would have to sit out next fall anyway unless he transfered to 1-AA.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  36

How does it work in the case of the kid at USF that got suspended for this year.  He dropped out, and is coming back, the LB out of Miami.  Isn't there a rule that the players have to have a certain number of hours completed to play?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

How does it work in the case of the kid at USF that got suspended for this year.  He dropped out, and is coming back, the LB out of Miami.  Isn't there a rule that the players have to have a certain number of hours completed to play?

Well you submit to the University to formally withdrawal.  Which is what Brouce Mompremier did, and then in the spring he can re-enroll with zero penalties.  However the NCAA states a player must complete something like 20 credit hours a year to maintain eligibility, that means to be eligible next fall BM would need to take at least 12 hours in the spring.  Another idea is he could enroll in some mid-semester classes this fall if he was cleared which would get him credit hours and not put him so far behind the eight ball.

Guest HowieP1

It's official:

October 08. 2004 6:01AM

UF NOTEBOOK

Freshman Mangold no longer enrolled in school

By Robbie Andreu

Sun sports writer

andreur@gvillesun.com

True freshman defensive end Mike Mangold, who in August received a special waiver from the NCAA to become eligible this fall, has quit the team and is no longer enrolled in school, Florida coach Ron Zook said Thursday.

Zook said Mangold wanted to leave the team earlier in the fall, but was talked out of it. This time, he went through with his plan.

Zook said academics did not have anything to do with Mangold's departure.

"Not at all," Zook said. "I'm not sure what Mike is doing right now. He doesn't know. The first time he said he was going to leave and we talked him into staying around here. The second time, he withdrew (from classes).

"Some guys go through it. Football wasn't important anymore. When he told me the first time, we tried to keep him here. A lot of guys say that (they want to quit). You want to make sure. He'll settle down here pretty soon and realize it is important to him."

Zook would not say whether Mangold will be allowed to return to UF if he changes his mind.

"We'll wait and see what happens," Zook said.

Mangold, who is from Merritt Island, was one of the state's top defensive end prospects and signed with the Gators after originally orally committing to Virginia Tech, where his uncle, Jim Weaver, is the athletic director.

Mangold had been practicing on the scout team this fall and was going to be redshirted this season.

If he transfers to another Division I school, he'll have to sit out a year before he's eligible to play.

http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041008/GATORS01/210080325

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i would look at him very carefully before i offered him a scholly

i would let him  walk  on for a year and see how he progress