• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NC State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

OT: Am I the only one who can't access Greg's blog? It just gives me a blank page when I click on it. Help? ???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

They played an emotional in state rivalry game this week and pulled out a last second comeback and OT win with a Freshman QB.  As we have seen there is the potential for a huge let up after a game like that.

I think we will do well.  I expect us to play a full 60 minutes this game as I'm thinking nothing would make Leavitt happier than to return the shutout favor from the bowl game.

Couple of thoughts.  First, we don't know how to play 60 minutes.  Statistically, aside from KU, UCF and FIU we completely outplayed.  Yet the score didn't reflect it.  In the past three games, we almost gave away the game in the last 5 - 6 minutes.  Our guys do not know how to "finish strong" and stop playing well near the end...   The coaches need to fix that.

Second, we were too conservative with a 10 - 0 lead and so dang many running plays.  We like to air it out and Grothe is usually effective.  We needed to take advantage of that at FIU and we didn't.

It would be one thing to have a 21 - 0 or 28 - 0 lead then let back on the gas pedal a bit.  

Hang on to the fricken ball.  Against an NC State, that will kill us....

I know we are 4 - 0, but our ability to go 5 - 0 and 6 - 0 will solely depend on coaching being able to get our players on the same page.  We are lucky, to be 4 - 0 at the current time.

Well stated....allowing the home team to hang around into the 4th quarter is a recipe for disaster. 

Interesting Facts about points given in games this year - Tennesse Martin 7 (100% of their total)  by Special Teams.  Our Special Teams - 0 points but some good punt returns.

UCF - 14 (58% of their total) points in final 3 minutes.  Special Teams is responsible for 7 points given away on a Kick Return. Special Teams missed kicks gives away 6 points (Not suggesting we should be able to hit them all but think most would agree, these kicks were makeable.)

Kansas - 14 (41% of their total) points in final 6 minutes.  Special Teams didn't cost us anything; in fact, did pretty well.  And of course, Bonani kicks a field goal to win the game.

FIU - 9 (100% of their total) points in final 2 1/2 minutes.  Granted, Special Teams set them up nicely at the end and the Defense gave up ONE significant play.  Special Teams - Blocked Field Goal costing us 3 points. 

All that said to reiterate we need to focus on the 4th quarter in a big way.  It will eventually cost us if not fixed.  Special Teams....same thing.  One mishap is the difference between a W and a L.  Also, Offensive unit has been able to get out early and do what it wants then it seems to fade.  Defense....I love our defense but playing 4 quarters at the level they have been playing is tough.  We need to keep them off the field late in the game and start managing the clock better and not get crazy conservative.  3rd and 9 in a fairly close game may not be the time to run the ball when there's plenty of time left.  I'll stop...starting to ramble.

Archived