• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NC State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

They played an emotional in state rivalry game this week and pulled out a last second comeback and OT win with a Freshman QB.  As we have seen there is the potential for a huge let up after a game like that.

I think we will do well.  I expect us to play a full 60 minutes this game as I'm thinking nothing would make Leavitt happier than to return the shutout favor from the bowl game.

Looking back one last time to FIU, it is very clear that, for whatever reason, the coaches shut the offense down after the 1st half.  Our first half passing offense was good.  11-17 108 yards and we were eating up big chunks of yardage on most completions.  Once we went up 10-0 it was a different story.  2nd half we only attempted 4 passes and none down field.  I don't expect us to shut our offense down again this week.

One last thought.  As much as Plancher is a nice story, I think I have seen enough of him unless it is in a change of pace role.  He had a good game against a 1AA oppenent and 2 nice runs vs UCF.  Other than that he is our 4th string back for a reason.  Hopefully Ford and Williams are healthy again.  If not stick with Taylor and let him get the carries with Kelly serving as the Fullback and short yardage guy (if Ford is not available) and let Plancher be the changeup.

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

I have become a huge fan of Taylor.

If Ford gets healthy and finds his place, they'd make a great 1-2 punch.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

They played an emotional in state rivalry game this week and pulled out a last second comeback and OT win with a Freshman QB.  As we have seen there is the potential for a huge let up after a game like that.

I think we will do well.  I expect us to play a full 60 minutes this game as I'm thinking nothing would make Leavitt happier than to return the shutout favor from the bowl game.

Couple of thoughts.  First, we don't know how to play 60 minutes.  Statistically, aside from KU, UCF and FIU we completely outplayed.  Yet the score didn't reflect it.  In the past three games, we almost gave away the game in the last 5 - 6 minutes.  Our guys do not know how to "finish strong" and stop playing well near the end...   The coaches need to fix that.

Second, we were too conservative with a 10 - 0 lead and so dang many running plays.  We like to air it out and Grothe is usually effective.  We needed to take advantage of that at FIU and we didn't.

It would be one thing to have a 21 - 0 or 28 - 0 lead then let back on the gas pedal a bit.  

Hang on to the fricken ball.  Against an NC State, that will kill us....

I know we are 4 - 0, but our ability to go 5 - 0 and 6 - 0 will solely depend on coaching being able to get our players on the same page.  We are lucky, to be 4 - 0 at the current time.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

i was worried about this game, but no more after hearing what their coach said about our defense. i fully expect us to come out and beat the **** out of them.

"Did you watch them against Oregon?" O'Brien asked, referencing the Ducks' 56-21 trouncing of the Bulls in the Sun Bowl in El Paso. "Go look at that game. That was against a spread. I'm not saying anything about South Florida's defense, but if they are the gurus, we better go somewhere else."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

We need something to fire us up.  Going in ranked and as 10 pt favorites the team is probably likely to believe the press.

I think that is what happened at UCF and FIU.  We walked in feeling "entitled" and not willing to play 60 minutes of football.  And the other team was ready to play.

This saturday and next thursday are very critical for our team.  If we win these two, we should be okay until Cinci on the road...

• Content Count:  1,501

i was worried about this game, but no more after hearing what their coach said about our defense. i fully expect us to come out and beat the **** out of them.

"Did you watch them against Oregon?" O'Brien asked, referencing the Ducks' 56-21 trouncing of the Bulls in the Sun Bowl in El Paso. "Go look at that game. That was against a spread. I'm not saying anything about South Florida's defense, but if they are the gurus, we better go somewhere else."

Wow.  Was that not last year??

Facts (This year):

USF Total Defense Rank:  12

NC State Total Defense Rank:  74

So there are 11 teams that are the gurus if we're not. 

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

lol wow not smart, this team will come out fired up big time now  

• Content Count:  21,335
  • Days Won:  10

I agree with the statements from USFGrad84.  We shutdown but from an offensive play calling and from an emotion point of view.  Players on the sidelines were not jacked up and ready for this game. 

I think NC State will be ramped up, they are playing a team ranked and they had success against ECU so they are on a high riding the wave.  We need to figure out how to get up and put this team away.

Special teams continues to be a challenge. 

• Content Count:  1,757

It shouldnt take bulletin board material each week for these guys to get up for the games.

• Content Count:  1,260

It shouldnt take bulletin board material each week for these guys to get up for the games.

Absolutely right....but it doesn't hurt.

Archived