• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom McEwen - "USF Football. You've Come a Long Way".

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

"....He beat those of us who favored more sports—football and basketball—[glow=red,2,300]me,[/glow] other writers...."

The guy is a lying douche bag!

I remember a long time ago, he wrote an article that said something like.......with uf, fsu & miami, USF trying to play football would be like opening a mom & pop discount store next to 3 Walmarts!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving him a hard time for not being able to see into the future, just for trying to act like [glow=red,2,300]he[/glow] was all for it.

You sure you don't have him confused with Mizell, whose article was posted somewhere on here ...?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

On the 10th Anniversary DVD had an interview with Tom McEwen and I believe he spoke in our favor to the board of regents meeting that approved football. And he said something like "The only problem is they should have done this 30 years ago".

• Content Count:  1,260

It's amazing how USF has burst onto the national scene these last two years at the exact time when two of the Big 3 are struggling.

Well, when 80ish of Florida's best players are playing at USF instead of being distributed among those other 3 schools...

While that might have something to do with it...if you look at individual players...there are very few (if any) who have turned down a Big 3 school offer to go to USF. Some of those who are much more up on recruiting could correct me on that if I'm wrong.... (Off the top of my head, I tcan only think of Cedric Hill who actually left Miami to come here)

• Content Count:  10,219

It's amazing how USF has burst onto the national scene these last two years at the exact time when two of the Big 3 are struggling.

Well, when 80ish of Florida's best players are playing at USF instead of being distributed among those other 3 schools...

While that might have something to do with it...if you look at individual players...there are very few (if any) who have turned down a Big 3 school offer to go to USF. Some of those who are much more up on recruiting could correct me on that if I'm wrong.... (Off the top of my head, I tcan only think of Cedric Hill who actually left Miami to come here)

true but that is changing slowly.

what we have done is with a good eye for talent kept the best of the rest.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

isnt this the guy that used to start off on article by telling you what he ate for breakfast?

• Content Count:  4,879

McEwen is late to the Bulls bandwagon.  He has always preferred his beloved Gators and this may play a small role someday in the Times putting the Trib out of business.  Trib had an opportunity long ago to become the source for all news about the Bulls.  They forfeited that franchise, allowed the Times to become equals and gave up one more bullet in the battle to be the last daily standing in Tampa Bay.

Right. Because college football coverage is THAT big of a reason why papers are failing....  ::)  ::)  ::)

Not saying you are wrong about McEwen...

But you are really stretching to say that the Trib would be so much further ahead because of their Bulls coverage.  The Times was always going to have a beat reporter... and their sports section has been better than the Trib's since way before USF had football.

Guess you missed the word 'small' in my comment.

I stand by my point that if the Trib had decided long ago that was going to 'prefer' USF in its sports coverage and had kept this commitment through the years, they would now be known as The source for all things Bulls.  This is a 'franchise' that could have easliy been theirs and they forfeited it primarliy due to McEwens adulation for the Gators.  The Trib never had a shot at being The source for Gator news; they did for Bulls news.  And McEwen can be a great cheer leader when he chooses.  Many would say that the Bucs would not be in Tampa without his involvement.

Archived