• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Penalties, Mental errors, and discipline.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sounds fair

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

No not really.

There is a big difference between a starter committing a mistake and a untested rookie not being ready to play.

If the older player commits a mistake you move the ball back 10 yards and you live to play another play. In contrast the young OL is going to be more prone to completly miss on a play due to inexperience or being physically overwhelmed. When that happens your QB gets killed and the cost is more than just 10 yards. If we have to bring Banks in our season is essentially over.

I guess you can call me being pragmatic but that is where we are right now. If the young guys were ready they would be in there....I mean CJL is not exactly an idiot.

This is the wrong attitude.  At some point you have to make a sacrifice to get it right.  The penalties are insane.  Put the younger guy in.  He's not as bad as you think most of the time, and will play hard and avoid penalties.  It doesn't have to be forever.  This team needs players with focus and discipline, that are willing to show it!

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

This is the wrong attitude.  At some point you have to make a sacrifice to get it right.  The penalties are insane.  Put the younger guy in.  He's not as bad as you think most of the time, and will play hard and avoid penalties.  It doesn't have to be forever.  This team needs players with focus and discipline, that are willing to show it!

Treading a fine line between discipline and overeacting.

IMO I would rather take the penalties with the chance to win, over playing the younger players and having no chance to win. In addition, the younger players are more likely commit more penalties b/c they are not ready to play.

BTW, when I posted that our penalties are getting better I was referencing the Personal fouls penalties. We had at least 3 or 4 per game last year as opposed to this year where that number is down dramatically.

One more thing, one of the symptoms of a one dimensional team on offense are penalties along the line. Teams do not respect our passing game so they are loading up the box and sending more players than we can block. Thus instead of letting play (or players) get blown up our players are doing whatever they can to hold the line. I don't think I am exagerating when I say that we could of been called for many more holding penalties against Southern Piss.