• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Penalties, Mental errors, and discipline.

Guest KnightLight
Actually I think the penalties are getting better.

Last year we were overun every game with 4 or 5 personal foul penalties. That has vastly improved this season. The most damaging penalties have been holding, encroachment and illegal substitution.

I am not going to blame our kids for pass interference those are part of the game.

Look......I am not saying we are there yet but there are no easy answers. This problem really started 3 years ago when we stepped up in competition. Sometimes you have to credit the other team for forcing a player to hold. Sometimes our players just get beat at the line of scrimmage or in the secondary.

--------------------------------

Peanlties have ALWAYS been a major problem for CJL and company...but only a few noticed during "wins".

USF again is near the top in number of penalties issued (not counting those that weren't "taken or used".)

USF has averaged 12 penalties PER game this year (48 total) for almost 100 yds per game (98 yds).

Opponents are averaging 7 peanlties for 63 yds per game against USF.

In 2001...USF averaged 10 penalties per game for 88 yds.

In 2002...USF averaged almost 12 penalties per game (128 total) for 100 yds (99 yds).

In 2003, penalties per game "dropped" to 9.3 per game (103 total)and only 81 yds...but opponents only averaged 6.2 penalties for 48 yds against USF.

But with losses...come closer inspection...and sounds like more and more USF fans are "noticing" possible lack of discipline from either continued penalties to "sloppy" uniforms, etc.

2003...team actually "improved" from previous years as far as the # of penalties...but it seems this year's edition is following the penalty trend set by earlier teams.

KL

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i don't see much correlation to  having a sloppy uniform and penalties

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

deciplin

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

The answer is simple.  Set up clear expectations for the players and communicate them.  Praise and reward them for positive behavior and correct negative behavior.  There must be accountability.  

If a player cannot meet the expectations as set out by the coaches, then take away some playing time.  He will eventually correct his mistakes or he won't play anymore.

my point was that the coaches need to take an active role in training them to be disciplined not just waiting until after the fact and benching them. The reward/punishment is obviously necessary but by itself I don't see it being very effective.

The correlation isn't that sloppy uniforms will lead to penalties but one has to wonder if a team is allowed to look sloppy what type of standards are they held to? Looking at the unbelievably undisciplined penalties one must also assume that the standards are not high enough. In other words look sharp, be sharp and play sharp. Look like a slob, act like a slob, play like a slob.

The correlation isn't that sloppy uniforms will lead to penalties but one has to wonder if a team is allowed to look sloppy what type of standards are they held to? Looking at the unbelievably undisciplined penalties one must also assume that the standards are not high enough. In other words look sharp, be sharp and play sharp. Look like a slob, act like a slob, play like a slob.

now that I see what I wrote I guess I have officially turned into my father  ;D

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

At some point, dont the actual PLAYERS have to be responsible for committing the penalties?

None of us know what goes on in the locker room or on the practice field. For all we know, Coach Leavitt could be doing everything in his power, or he may not. Either way, we dont know.

Some penalties are also cause by lack of talent. I mean, if you're clearly getting beat on every play by the same guy, you gotta take shortcuts, and sometimes you get caught....

just some food for thought...

yes the players are responsible for the mistakes but the coaches are responsible for fixing them. This has been a problem for years and with group after group of kids so either we are just unlucky to consistently have new batches of kids that commit more penalties then all other teams in college football or something in the coaching is lacking in this area.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i am sure army is a very disciplined team

but they can't win

talent overcomes alot of problems

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

I got a solution that our coach enforced in high school. Number of penalty yardage=number wind sprints or laps after practice. It will cut the penalty ******** out quick.