• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Keith Clanton schedules visit to USF

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/22/rile

Freddie Riley, a 6-foot-5, 175-pound shooting guard from Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military Academy, has UMass at the top of his list but is also considering South Florida, Virginia Commonwealth and Baylor.

“He had a very good visit to UMass†the weekend of Sept. 12, Hargrave coach Kevin Keatts said. “Obviously, I think they’re at the top of his list. He’s going to take a visit to South Florida (Oct. 4) and he may take a visit to VCU this weekend. He may also take a visit to Baylor which has not been set.â€

Riley, a native of Ocala, Fla., is a scoring guard who would add automatic offense to whichever school he picks.

“He’s a 6-5 two/three that can really score the basketball,†Keatts said. “Athletic, long, can get to the rim. He can really shoot the basketball.â€

As I have mentioned eariler USF must keep guys like Clanton and Riley home. Riley is playing at Hargrave this season but his home is Ocala, Fl. I was hoping that Heath would have the 2 Florida guys vist togather giving them a chance to bond and let state pride lead them to sign with USF. Looking around the country schools are having better success bringing in multi players per visit.

I'm no recruiting guru but I do gather up info well so I came up with a short list of prospects that USF seems to have a shot at. They are 6-8 PF Keith Clanton, 6-7 SF Isaiah Philmore, 6-6 SG/SF Freddie Riley, 6-7 SF Richie Edwards, and possibly 6-1 PG Lamont "Momo" Jones. There may be others but this is what I put togather from reading blogs and message boards of other teams we are competing against for some of these prospects.

Myself and others will continue to update should anything related about these players and USF come out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6-8 Keith Clanton of Orlando will make official visits to South Florida October 2nd and Central Florida October 9th, and then make his decision. He visited USC two weeks ago, and his decision will come from one of those three. The head coaches from each school have already made their in home visits. There is no favorite. "I just want to visit all the school to be able to compare them," Clanton said.

As you can see Keith will not visit this weekend which is good because our fb team will be playing in Raleigh, N.C. against NC State.

Oct. 02 is an ESPN thursday night game with Pitt in our place. There will be lots of buzz and excitement surrounding our program that night with ESPN in town. Will be the perfect setting to host our No.1 2009 target. I will continue to search for anything about Riley, Philmore, and Crump possibly joining Clanton on that visit. I don't think Clanton will be along on that official.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks for the update... that is great... hope our fb team dominates on national tv.  That would definitely go a long way in sealing the deal with KC.

Brewster Academy head coach Jason Smith is reporting that Givon Crump will visit South Florida on Oct. 11. Crump is to visit Baylor on Oct. 04 and Rutgers on Oct. 18. Crump has already visited Maryland, Rutgers, and GW unofficially. He has visited Oregan State on an official visit and had a scheduled trip to Depaul but he might have cancelled that.

As always if we get a guy on campus we have a chance with him. The Baylor trip concerns me because Coach Drew has been shocking folks around college basketball with how well he has recruited there. Some believe it he has recruited a little to well raising more then a few eyebrows.

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Good grief, we gotta beat out Baylor on these guys.  I'd think we could beat out UCF and USC, too, considering the recruiting ability of Coach Heath.

BIG WEEKEND: Count men's basketball coach Stan Heath among those hoping for a good atmosphere Thursday night. He'll use the football game as a backdrop for an official campus visit from Keith Clanton, a 6-foot-8, 230-pound power forward from Orlando who is a priority in the Bulls' recruiting efforts.

Clanton, who plays for former USF point guard Reggie Kohn at Orlando Christian Prep, said his final three schools are South Carolina, which he has visited; USF and hometown UCF, which he'll visit next week. He said he likes the coaches and potential at all three schools, so his decision might hinge on the visits.

Heath will bring in one of his two oral commitments, Detroit's Jordan Dumars, to join Clanton on the visit. Dumars is the son of ex-NBA star Joe Dumars.

Credit goes to Greg Augman for that insert in the St. Petersburg Times article headlined "Pitt's run game concerns USF's defense"

My thoughs are why isn't Freddie Riley included in this visit with Clanton with Clanton? The Dumars are coming which is good,  because having a NBA legend in Joe Dumars on campus can't hurt when hosting a basketball player that has dreams of playing on the next level. Riley is scheduled to come in Oct. 4th when there is no FB game being played which means we won't have the electricity of a gameday ATMOSPHERE to help suck him in. We need Riley just about as bad as we need Clanton. Hopefully this is a good week for our basketball program.

Go Bulls beat down the Panthers!

• Content Count:  3,403

Joe Dumars should certainly help recruiting, wow.

Riley to Umass. This is a terrible blow for our basketball program. I'm not on campus but for anybody that is was Riley actually on his visit to USF or did he just not come?

I don't want to sound like sour grapes but this has the smell of a big fat rat and his name is Derek Kellogg the former asst to Calipari at Memphis. Anybody that knows the Memphis program can see what I'm talking about.

Jones and Mercer can't play forever at USF. We really needed Riley and for the 2nd time he has said no to USF. The State of Florida had a good pool of D-1 players for the 2009 class and we are striking out on all of them.

As I said before it is ok for us to lose out to the likes of UF and FSU for in state talent but we are getting beat by weak BCS conference schools like S. Carolina and mid majors like umass for in state talent. We are never ever going to build this thing up with this constantly happening.

Need some good news on Clanton or that will be that with basketball recruiting imo. Isaiah Philmore is scheduled to visit next weekend and we really need a SF in this class.

• Content Count:  1,797

Vega:  One of the other sites said he was at Umass this weekend, so that is why he did not come to USF.  I am not sure that we had offered Riley.  Seems to me that we need two inside guys at this point.  With DoJo, Noriega, Dumars and Mercer it seems like we have enough players that can do pretty much what we need at the wing for now.

I sure hope we can reel in Clanton and perhaps Fillmore since I have heard of any other bigs that we are after.

Normal

Archived