• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hixon looking better

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tennessee Tech wide receiver Drew Hixon was upgraded Friday from critical to serious condition but remains unconscious 13 days after he was injured in a game.

Hixon, the son of Washington Redskins assistant Stan Hixon, had been in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital since being tackled in a helmet-to-helmet collision and carried off the field during the Sept. 11 game with South Florida.

Hixon was taken off a ventilator Friday morning and is breathing on his own but remains in intensive care, hospital spokesman Will Darnell told The Associated Press.

Hixon's father told Darnell that doctors think that Hixon is improving but that the recovery process will take a long time.

Doctors have told the Hixon family that the 22-year-old senior could regain consciousness at any time.

Hixon transferred to Tennessee Tech from LSU, where his father was an assistant coach last season.

Tennessee Tech plays at Murray State on Saturday

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

This is looking better for him. Atleast he is breathing on his own now. Just continue with the prayers.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Baby steps... very encouraging news.  

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420

Tech WR Leaves ICU

Published: Sep 29, 2004

TAMPA - Tennessee Tech wide receiver Drew Hixon, who has been in a coma since being injured against South Florida on Sept. 11, has opened his eyes and has been moved from St. Joseph's Hospital's intensive care unit.

Hixon remains in a coma- like state, but can squeeze his hands and open his eyes, his father Stan Hixon said.

Drew Hixon was upgraded from critical to serious condition when he was taken off a ventilator that assisted his breathing Thursday. He continues to improve, Stan Hixon said. Drew Hixon has been moved to the hospital's pulmonary floor.

``Our family is encouraged by Drew's improvement the last few days,'' Stan Hixon said. ``However, we know it's a long process.''

Drew Hixon suffered a brain bruise, doctors told Stan Hixon.

Brett McMurphy

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  553

Now that he's out of ICU, he can have flowers sent to his room.

Anybody want to pitch in a few bucks and get him and his family a nice arrangement from SFB.com?

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Now that he's out of ICU, he can have flowers sent to his room.

Anybody want to pitch in a few bucks and get him and his family a nice arrangement from SFB.com?

Great Idea! I would donate some for this if you decide to do it.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  553

I have a paypal account set up.  If you want to make a contribution, send me a PM and I'll give you the info.

I live less than a mile from St. Joseph's hospital, so I can go by and get the arrangement from the hospital gift shop, fill out the card on behalf of all of us, and have it delivered to his room.

PM me if interested.  I'm thinking a $3-5 donation from 10 people will buy a nice bouquet.  I'm in for $5.