• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we become a running team?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

(and keep the same offensive style)

The shotgun: Does anybody in college use the shotgun as much as we do? I just don't think it helps with the running game, especially when the play takes longer to develop.

Not huddling: What does this accomplish? Yes, it keeps defenses from resting and getting ready. But to run effectively don't you need more time for your own guys to settle down --from the huddle?

The spread offense: We use this so much and I wonder if it's effective for run blocking. Yeah, TCU was soft and it helped, but Southern Miss might not be so soft.

Switching backs: I've always hated that we had mutliple backs during a game. Just stick with one main guy and let the man run!

We have a solid line and a great back: RUN! RUN!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

WVU has a power running offense and they run it out of the spread.  We need to run more to keep our Quarterbacks from losing the game for us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

RUN: You can run out of the spread -- IF it is more off-tackle or pitch... the spread doesn't do well against run blitzes or runs up the middle - not enough blocking against seven or eight in the box.

HUDDLE:  Bear in mind that the entire play is sent in from the sideline -- having the whole team look at the coach sending the play in actually makes it easier to make sure they are all on the same line.  Moreover, it makes it a little harder for the defense to match up... the problem is, we don't run a true no-huddle, because we often take 20 seconds to run the play, which gives the defense the chance to try an match up.

SWITCHING: Running more than one back helps with stamina and reduces the risk of injury.  It also prevents the defense from keying on one player... "Hall is in - gonna be a run."

JMHO

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Was is it just me or did we spend more time OUT of the shotgun than usual on Saturday?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63

I think there was more of mix then we have ever seen on Saturday night.  Granted most of the plays were from the gun but we did run a decent number of plays from under center.  I think as the season goes on you will see more of the run game from under center.  GO BULLS!!!

BIGJL

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no body is as  inept at the shotgun as us

we should be running the ball.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

No one's suggesting that we switch to the option, just diversify the offense by mixing in more conventional running plays. I think it would take a lot of pressure off Julmiste, keep the defense guessing, and gain yards as we've got a capable line and backs.

Also, defensive coordinators are starting to figure out how to stop the short-passing offense.