• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another one bit the dust

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

This is no longer just bad luck or coincidence...CSH's recruiting has to be brought into question at this point...

I disagree...  he has landed big fish... but the big fish aren't qualifying.  That is partly bad luck...

and continues the bad luck of our program. 

As trip said, this IS the toughest job in the country, especially on the recruiting end.

Hopefully Gilchrist can get his waiver.  If so, while we'll be shorthanded, we'll still have 4 schollies for next season and a solid core this season.

I have faith that Heath will right the ship, but these non-qualifiers are delaying things a bit. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

been a rough couple months... teague probably wasn't going to be a big contributor this season, but we really need gilchrist to get his waiver.

the administration should have given heath a one year extension

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

This is no longer just bad luck or coincidence...CSH's recruiting has to be brought into question at this point...

I disagree...  he has landed big fish... but the big fish aren't qualifying.  That is partly bad luck...

and continues the bad luck of our program. 

As trip said, this IS the toughest job in the country, especially on the recruiting end.

Hopefully Gilchrist can get his waiver.  If so, while we'll be shorthanded, we'll still have 4 schollies for next season and a solid core this season.

I have faith that Heath will right the ship, but these non-qualifiers are delaying things a bit. 

What big fish? McMillan, Teague, and Akol are not big fish. Mercer and Glichrist are transfers who may turn out great, but there's probably a reason they both soured at previous institutions (Gilchrist is now on his 3RD school). I like the looks of Espinosa. He's going to be under the radar, but I've got a good feeling about him.

Gilchrist, transfer or not, is a big fish and came here due to Heath.  Gilchrist didn't sour at his previous institution and actually will be a true freshman.  He left VaTech due to the shootings, and and transferred in the ACC without knowing the sit out rule so he asked to leave so he could play right away.  That has nothing to do with grades or talent... just poor advising.  Mercer may have his issues, but he was a 5 star PG... he has tremendous talent.  That is a big fish.

Akol was a pretty big fish or at least a moderately sized gulf grouper, but didn't work out.

Teague is big, but not a big fish.  And McMillan still could work out after prep school.

Espinosa was a great pickup.

Overall, the talent that committed (Espinosa, McMillan, Gilcrist and add in the Mercer transfer) is solid... its a shame so many people didn't make grades... but when you have such poor program, you have to take some risks.  Unfortunately, it didnt' work out, or at least not yet anyway.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Maybe if RMC hadn't cleaned house from Seth, he would still be coaching. Seth's players at least made us competitive... RMC's players made us fodder for the likes of Jerry Rice U. Face it... RMC had a chance to turn us around, inherited a better situation than Seth did when both of them left (we were at .500%, VaTech was well under .500%... and since, Seth has two ACC coach of the year trophies, a 2nd round appearance in the NCAA tourney, and a couple of NIT's berths. RMC is coaching on an oil rig off the coast of Mexico somewhere. So, was Seth really that bad? It's funny how everyone wanted to run Seth out here because he didn't get us over the hump, yet, since Seth left, we can't even mount the camel to sniff the hump... oh the days when we felt we could be competitive...

Stan Heath will be all right... give him time.

• Content Count:  1,797

Belardo will turn out to be a good player.  Plus, Stan has actual commitments for the November period....something that Coach Mac struggled with.  Heath seems to have a plan for recruiting that is clear and understandable.  I love the fact that he has taken care of the new rule that moves the 3 point line back a foot with Belardo, Noriega and Dumars.

This past class was shaky simply because Stan will not sign questionable talent.  So he had to sign some talent that was borderline academically or not sign anyone.  Why not take the risk.  If the kid qualifies, great.  If not, then use the schollie for the next class.  That's how it has worked out too.  In the future he will sign talented players that are less likely to have admissions issues since he and his assistants will have had enough time to establish themselves.

Normal

Gilchrist, transfer or not, is a big fish and came here due to Heath.  Gilchrist didn't sour at his previous institution and actually will be a true freshman.  He left VaTech due to the shootings, and and transferred in the ACC without knowing the sit out rule so he asked to leave so he could play right away.  That has nothing to do with grades or talent... just poor advising.  Mercer may have his issues, but he was a 5 star PG... he has tremendous talent.  That is a big fish.

Akol was a pretty big fish or at least a moderately sized gulf grouper, but didn't work out.

Teague is big, but not a big fish.  And McMillan still could work out after prep school.

Espinosa was a great pickup.

Overall, the talent that committed (Espinosa, McMillan, Gilcrist and add in the Mercer transfer) is solid... its a shame so many people didn't make grades... but when you have such poor program, you have to take some risks.  Unfortunately, it didnt' work out, or at least not yet anyway.

I'm not sold on Glichrist's story of bad advising, but that's the cynic in me. Mercer had some issues with a previous coach and it looks like immaturity got them best of him. I agree that both could be huge if their heads are on straight.

Akol was skinny as a rail and would have been a 2 year project just to get him to into BE size. The fact that the team didn't do much to fight for him when his academics became an issue says a lot to me about their hands on evaluation of him.

I still think Espinosa will be the jewel of this class. Belardo may end up being a very good player as well.

And landing Dumars is great for so many reasons... great shooter... son of a legend, great publicity...

Totally agree. Next year's class should really be the first one to use to start making judgments.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

It's funny how everyone wanted to run Seth out here because he didn't get us over the hump, yet,

Yet?? He had 7 freaking years of no post season wins, no wins over top 25 teams, never getting past the 2nd round of the CUSA tourney ... that hump was Everest like.

since Seth left, we can't even mount the camel to sniff the hump

Since Seth left, USF has beaten numerous top 25 teams and advanced to the CUSA semis .... For whatever reason, USF and Seth, like USF and Mac, were just not a good match.

Stan Heath will be all right... give him time.

He will definitely need time. I do think he'll be okay but is going to take a while...

Archived