• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UF, other State Schools (not USF) give preference to kids of Alumni

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  130
  • Days Won:  0

Is it too much to ask to have students admitted solely based on their own merits?  ::) It's a public institution, it shouldn't matter that your momma or granddaddy attended the school. In other countries, when they factor in "alumni donations" within the admissions process, they simply call it a "bribe" without apology. Kudos to USF for steering clear.

Seems like a fair request... but I doubt it happens at any school. There are quite a few factors that often go into the admission process, legacy status is just one

Take a look at USF's undergrad application. It asks:

• If you have relatives who have attended USF
  • What level of education your parents have achieved
  • If you come from a single parent home
  • household income
  • economic conditions that would prevent you from extracurricular activities

• Content Count:  2,726

You know I'm surprised that USF doesn't do this.  You would think we would be one of the schools that does.

But, there really is NO WAY to tell if the schools actually use it.  If the kid is not smart, he not getting in.  Usually thats what it is.

lol

GO BULLS!!!

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I think USF should use it.  Legacies know (or in our case help grow) tradition.  Offer Out of State fee waiver for Legacies coming from Alums who have moved accross the country for whatever reason.

• Content Count:  138

Preference is tricky, a school choosing a legacy over another student when they are both equal would be understandable, but when an alumnus's kid gets in over someone more deserving, that's when things get scandalous.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  89

Other things to consider - my youngest was rejected, but we appealed and won the appeal based on legacy. Both parents attended and all siblings were also currently attending. So under some circumstances USF does consider legacy. 

Archived