• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays made a good trade

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Wow.  So much to comment on.

First of all, he did NOT get through waivers.  The Rays claimed him, as did some other teams.  The Rays had priority for whatever mystical reason, so they were awarded him.  Ballymore could have pulled him back, the Rays are send a player so they wouldn't pull him back.

If a player is claimed, he can only be traded to the team he was awarded.  If a player clears waivers, he can be traded to any team.

the way I understand it teams have the option to claim a player from last place team first to first team last.  So the rays should have been at the end of the line.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

First of all, he did NOT get through waivers.  The Rays claimed him, as did some other teams.  The Rays had priority for whatever mystical reason, so they were awarded him.  Ballymore could have pulled him back, the Rays are send a player so they wouldn't pull him back.

If a player is claimed, he can only be traded to the team he was awarded.  If a player clears waivers, he can be traded to any team.

the way I understand it teams have the option to claim a player from last place team first to first team last.  So the rays should have been at the end of the line.

The Angels have a better record.  It looks like they were one of the teams to claim him.  Also, I think maybe teams in the same league are ahead of teams in the other league.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

Also, I think maybe teams in the same league are ahead of teams in the other league.

wrong

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

Here's the info straight from the Rays website but it still doesn't explain how they got him, unless nobody else really did claim him .... also, he's signed through 2009, not 2008.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080807&content_id=3269469&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

Also, I think maybe teams in the same league are ahead of teams in the other league.

wrong

Very doubtful.  I'm still verifying but I've read a couple of places that the Angels and no NL teams could have blocked the Rays claim.

Shockingly, it looks like I know more than 83:

If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

That's from Wikipedia, still looking for the rule on the MLB site.

A nice ESPN primer on August waiver trading period here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1860265

Also confirming that the league of the waiving team gets priority.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

wow, i stand corrected. pretty dumb rule

wow, i stand corrected. pretty dumb rule

Yeah, MLB has lots of dumb rules.  Who thought up this whole August waiver trade thing to begin with? Seems like teams should either be able to trade, or not.

Archived