• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OL Steven Jacques sets official visit with USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He's another weight room junkie, so he'd fit right in with our guys. At least he'd have some stiff competition at USF.  ;)

FSU recruit Jacques awaiting UM offer

BY RUDY RODRIGUEZ-CHOMATMiami Herald Writer

South Broward offensive lineman Steven Jacques can bench press 425 pounds and squat 565 pounds.Complete recruiting coverage and features

Broward's No. 22 recruit | Steven Jacques

LARRY BLUSTEIN'S COMMENTS: One of the most underrated "big men" in the state this season. His coaching staff raves about his potential as he will be a three-year starter for the Bulldogs. Was one of the top 3A heavyweight wrestlers, posting a 35-8 record. Has gotten bigger and stronger in the off season. Boston College, Miami, Florida, FSU, West Virginia, Iowa and several others are impressed.

South Broward has not been the Mecca of Broward County football over the past few years, more so known as a girls' basketball power, but 2008 is a different year and this season the Bulldogs have as highly a touted prospect as they've had in years.

Left tackle Steven Jacques is big and so strong that his weight-room numbers are borderline mind-boggling for a high school football player.

The 6-5, 285-pound tackle has a bench max of 425 pounds and a squat max of 565 pounds. To put into perspective how impressive that is, look no further than Coral Gables.

Jacques' bench max would be tied for first at the University of Miami right now and his squat max would be second on the team.

WAITING ON CANES

But the Hurricanes have not pulled the trigger to offer Jacques yet even though he already has offers from a number of other schools including Florida State, South Florida, Auburn, South Carolina and West Virginia.

Miami offensive coordinator Patrick Nix visited Jacques during the spring and requested film of the talented and strong offensive linemen, a position of need for the Hurricanes, but to date, no offer has come -- which has left Jacques surprised.

''I am really surprised that I have gotten an offer,'' Jacques said. ``Coach Nix came to see me in the spring. I thought he was going to offer. I don't know what happened. I don't hear from them anymore.''

But in the meantime, he has planned official visits to three of the schools who have offered him.

''I've already set up official visits with Auburn, West Virginia and South Florida,'' Jacques said.

He doesn't know where he will take his final two visits, but one thing is for sure, he's going to work hard. He's a weight room junkie having lifted weights since he was in the eighth grade. While he admits he's always been strong, he never thought he could be this strong.

STRONG ATHLETE

''I was always strong, but I was never this strong. It was a lot of long hard days in the weight room. I've probably been lifting weight since the summer of eighth grade. I never played around in the weight room like some guys do,'' Jacques said.

That attitude has gotten him to the point where he could go to college on a football or wrestling scholarship. Jacques was 36-6 as a wrestler last year and is a contender for the state championship after going 2-2 in the Class 3A state wrestling tournament last season.

''My brother always stayed on top of me,'' Jacques said. ``There was never time to joke around.''

It's paid dividends for Jacques not only on the field, but in the classroom as he maintains a 3.7 GPA. He plans to take the ACT and SAT in September for the first time.

So what about a decision?

''I am not a long way away, but I am not in a rush also, so it's just like I am waiting to take my visits and then make my decision from there,'' Jacques said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/broward/story/628759.html

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

What a magnificent group of OL we have looking at us.  Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Another good lineman we could use.

Really good linemen on the offensive side of the ball will take this team to the next level and it looks like that is a big target this year.

Archived