• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gomes comes through in a big way today

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

That was a huge homerun to tie the game today.  I was a little worried after Sheilds gave up back to back HRs but he proved that he is indeed a great pitcher but shutting down the A's the rest of the way.

I am a little worried about Percival now.  He hasnt looked like himself after coming back from the DL.  I think the Rays need to consider using someone else in the closing situations.  Balfour seems to be a good canidate.  of course JP Howell but Howell is too valuable in the 7th and 8th when there is a good lefty up and runners on base.

Its clear that it is going to be a tough stretch the rest of the way.  The Red Sox are playing great baseball and the Yankees are heating up.  Its exciting to be playing meaningful baseball into August.  I am proud of what the team has done up to this point and yes, we are young and will be even better next year but I am not satisfied.  I truly think this is a playoff caliabler team and we just need to get that one more proven bat in the middle of the lineup to produce some runs...specially against a left handed pitcher when we cant use Hineske or Floyd.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

Percy has made his last couple of starts very interesting.  He did hit 94 on the gun today and looked refreshed.  I agree that Balfour may be the best fit for the closer job if Percy can't get it together.  He has the fire and competitiveness and stuff for sure.  I am more worried about our hitting, especially against lefties.  I think if we can address that w/ at least one everyday right handed bat, we will greatly improve our chances at a run.

• Content Count:  873

I read a stat today that we are a .500 team against left handed pitchers.  I will be very concerned if we struggle to score runs against the royals' pitching staff, they flat out suck.  Still hoping for a bat though.

• Content Count:  883

It's funny that a lot of people (not just on this board) are asking for Balfour to close now.  I was saying that over a month ago and everyone kept saying they wanted Wheeler to close instead.  You guys remember me saying that?  No one agreed with me.  If you're not gonna go outside the orginization for a closer you have to go with Balfour.  I don't care that Wheeler has the experience because Balfour, in my opinion, has the stuff to be an elite closer while Dan doesn't.

As far as Gomes...well every dog has their day.  I still think he's a liability and we need to go after another bat. 

if we make a move for a closer before we get a RH bat..i will be upset.

balfour is solid and TB..i said it before you...dont make me search.

• Content Count:  883

if we make a move for a closer before we get a RH bat..i will be upset.

balfour is solid and TB..i said it before you...dont make me search.

You don't have to search, I believe you.  LOL  I just know that when I first proposed it no one else seemed to like the idea.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

he comes through in one game. big deal. the guy is one of the biggest disappointments of the year

I still don't see why they don't give Guzman or Ruggiano a chance up here.  They are playing very well in AAA.

he comes through in one game. big deal. the guy is one of the biggest disappointments of the year

he plays once in a while......

what you want?

he plays once in a while......

what you want?

But the batting average is in the .190's - not a reliable hitter.

Archived