• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU's Opponent Preview: USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  407
  • Days Won:  0

Opponent preview: USF

# Date with West Virginia: Saturday, Dec. 6, time TBA (ESPN or ESPN2)

# Site: Mountaineer Field (60,000, FieldTurf), Morgantown

# Coach: Jim Leavitt (12th year, 79-47)

Checking them out

For anyone still wondering what the up side was to inviting South Florida into the Big East, wonder no more. In the three years the Bulls have been a member, they have accomplished exactly what the school and the league hoped for from the start, using the high profile of a BCS affiliation to improve recruiting, develop a fan base, attract national attention and, of course, become a player in the league.

And there's no reason to believe USF won't continue to improve in 2008. Junior quarterback Matt Grothe is more important to his team than perhaps any player in the Big East (yes, even more than West Virginia's Pat White, who has a proven backup and so much speed around him), but it would be nice if the Bulls could develop more of a running game this year with sophomore tailback Mike Ford. That way Grothe might not have to challenge the league record he set last year for most plays (392 passes, 198 rushes). It would also help if Grothe could cut down on the 28 interceptions he's thrown in two years. The offensive line is back almost intact and seven of the top eight receivers return, as well, meaning an offense that averaged just under 35 points per game might not miss a beat.

The defense is strong, too, but there are three glaring holes where middle linebacker Ben Moffitt and cornerbacks Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams used to be. The return of the best pass rusher in the country in end George Selvie helps, as do five other starters. But the middle of the line has to be rebuilt and there is so little depth there that USF is converting offensive linemen. Leading tackler Tyrone McKenzie is back at one of the linebacker spots and while both corners are gone the safeties return. And they're good ones in Nate Allen and Carlton Williams.

All-conference candidates

# Offense: QB Matt Grothe, OG Ryan Schmidt, RB Mike Ford

# Defense: DE George Selvie, LB Tyrone McKenzie, S Nate Allen

# Special teams: K Delbert Alvarado

Notes

South Florida has as many guaranteed national television broadcasts this season (6) as any team in the Big East. The Bulls also play five non-Saturdays - two Fridays, two Thursdays and a Sunday. ... Forget that one night at Auburn when he missed four field goals. Kicker Delbert Alvarado made 10 of his last 11 of the season, averaged 41.3 yards per punt and had 17 downed inside the 20-yard line. ... USF plays only three Big East road games this season, but two of them are five days apart (Louisville and Cincinnati) and the third is the Dec. 6 finale at West Virginia.

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/200807220659

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Haha I love the guy with the first comment saying that "We owe these clowns a massive beatdown this year"....haha..clowns? We dont show our ass like their ex-cry baby coach Rodriguez did in both losses they suffered last year.

• Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

Is it our turn to bring the hot dogs?  ;D

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Save a couch...

Posted By: wvuboo (24 minutes ago)

Report Abuse

i have been an eers fan all my life so i have to be honest. I believe that wvu has lost too much fire power on offense and they do not have enough quality back up in the backfield or receiving dept to sustain their winning pace for this year. they also lost a lot on the defensive side as well and with several recruits not going to qulify it just gets worse. white and devine can only do so much but where do you go past those two. I hope i am wrong and i want to see wvu win a nc but i see 3-4 games that we will lose this year. colo, aub, usf, pitts. these games are winable but if we don't bring the A game they will be in the L side. i am from wv but live in florida in st. pete which is by tampa and usf is a serious football program.the other teams records speak for themselves. i hope for 13-0 but looks like 8-9 wins.

A pragmatic 'eers fan commented... and this is why I think USF will wrap up the Big East championship before Thanksgiving.

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Its nice to have an established, big name team owe us one.

Archived