• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FOX Sports Big East preview

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

Linked but complete article is below...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Nostradomus/2008/06/24/College_Football_2008_Preview_Big_East

The supposed also-ran of the 6 BCS conferences, the Big East is the only league that can claim 3 straight BCS bowl game victories.  So why do I have them pegged 5th in my standings of BCS conferences?  I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. 

When Virginia Tech, Miami, and Boston College left the Big East nearly everyone outside of the Big East fans expected this conference to fold up into itself.  That was before West Virginia, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati, and Connecticut decided that they would become better than anyone ever expected.

In the past three years there aren't many teams that can claim that they were better than West Virginia.  In fact you could have made a strong case for the 'Neers that they were good enough to have played in the National Championship game last year, and even the year before.  Their dismantling of a pretty **** good Oklahoma team in the Fiesta Bowl last year proved their belonging.  (Although many pundits would argue that Oklahoma was a likely pretender, especially after losing to Boise State last year.)

So what does the Big East have in store for us this year?  Some quality signal-callers are gone, but the top end, including West Virginia and South Florida should get strong recognition as National Title Contenders, if not at the least being 'sleepers'.

My conference prediction:

West Virginia

South Florida

Pittsburgh

Louisville

Connecticut

Rutgers

Syracuse

Cincinnati

And here are my reasons why:

West Virginia:  Over the past three years, West Virginia has been one of the top 5 programs in the nation.  Pat White, Steve Slaton, and Darius Reynaud formed the nucleus of one of the most powerful offenses in the entire country.  However, Slaton and Reynaud are gone, and their 'spread inventing' coach Rich Rodriguez has parted for 'richer' pastures in Michigan.  1st year coach Bill Stewart is left with a lot of offensive firepower, but it will be the defense that is the major question in Morgantown.  With only 4 starters returning on that side of the ball, one of the top defensive units in the nation last year will struggle to match last years strong output.  Reed Williams is a solid LB in the middle, but he will be without stalwarts Johnny Dingle and Keilen #### up front, as well as his hard-hitting LB running mate Marc Magro.  The secondary loses every starter from last year.  But we should expect Ellis Lanskter, the JUCO recruit from last year, to wreck some havoc in 2008.  And the 'Neers will need him to step up big time.  Pat White will still be Pat White and Noel Devine will be an even better version of Steve Slaton.  What they will truly need on the offensive side of the ball in order for the 'spread' to truly be special is a wideout to assume Reynaud's role.  The other missing piece on offense that will be sorely missed is the punishing blocking of Owen Schmitt.  Missed amongst many of White's and Slaton's dashes to greatness were crushing blocks laid out by Schmitt.  Sometimes taking out 2 and even 3 players to pave the way to paydirt for those 2 great players.  The ENTIRE offensive line is back, with 4 Seniors and a Junior, thus there should not be any concerns with the hogs up front.  The Mountaineers may still be the class of the Big East in '08, but their out of conference schedule is brutal with games @ East Carolina, @ Colorado, and vs. Auburn at home on a Thursday night in Morgantown.  Even if they run the table in the Big East, they could very well end up with 2 or more losses on the year.  But when all is said and done,  West Virginia still looks like 'the pick' in the Big East.

South Florida:  The South Florida 'Brahma' Bulls were riding high last year as they were 6-0 and ranked #2 in the nation with wins over Auburn and West Virginia to their credit.  Three weeks later they were 6-3 and completely out of the rankings.  They swept the remainder of their games in conference play, but were then humiliated by Oregon in the Sun bowl 56-21.  And that was against a struggling Oregon team without Dennis Dixon.  So what's to like about South Florida in 2008?  They have 17 starters returning, including their tough and scrappy signal-caller Matt Grothe.  On the defensive side of the ball, George Selvie, everybody's All-American DE is back.  Included with that is his 14 1/2 sacks and 17 TFL (Tackles For Loss).  The Bulls play absolutely nobody in non-conference other than Kansas at home, and I fully expect them to win that contest.  In conference play they get 4 home games, BUT they play West Virginia on the road in their conference finale.    They will get 2 weeks to prepare for that game, and from what I see it will be for all the marbles.  The big question is:  Will USF be undefeated going into that contest?  I'll give it a 33% chance.  The only 'loseable' games coming into that contest look to be Kansas, Pittsburgh, or @ Louisville.  The Bulls may well have the best overall record in the confernce and not be the conference champion.  Any way that you look at it though, the Bulls should be very much considered as, at the least, a National Title 'sleeper' contender.

Pittsburgh:  Dave Wannstedt has supposedly recruited the best talent to Pitt in the entire Big East over the past 4 years.  He has little to show for it.  Zero bowl games, and zero conference titles.  1st Team Big East WR Derek Kinder is back, and LeSean McCoy is one of the best RB's in the entire country.  In all, the Panthers return 15 starters from last years disappointing 5-7 team.  But........ they beat West Virginia in the final game of the season, and were competitive in every game outside of back to back lashings at the hands of Connecticut and Virginia.  On the defensive side of the ball AA candidate Scott McKillop is back to roam the LB corps along with freshman AA Greg Romeus at DE and a solid DT in Rashaad Duncan.  The non-conference schedule has a couple of possible hiccups in Iowa and @ Notre Dame, but this is a team that should be extremely competitive in every game this year.  Four conference road games are a concern, but they get THREE 2 week layoffs between games this year.  A rarity in College Football.  I nearly pegged this team on top in the conference this year since they have a solid core of Seniors and Juniors to lead the way.  There is a lot to like about Pitt this year, but Wannstedts inability to win with previous talent has swayed me to peg them in the 3 hole.  I would not be shocked if they ended up winning the Big East in 2008.  Either way, the Panthers should at least go bowling for the 1st time since Wannstedt's arrival.   

Louisville:  "The 'Ville".  Brian Brohm is gone.  But don't feel sorry for Steve Kragthorpe for having to replace the 2nd best QB in Louisville history.  (Yes, Johnny Unitas would be #1).  Hunter Cantwell has proven that he can play, and he may end up being a better QB than Brohm at the Collegiate level due to his ability to scramble and make plays with his legs.  This year, he will likely need it.  Outside of Brohm, the Cardinals lost the nucleus of one of the best receiving corps in the nation in Harry Douglass, Mario Urrutia, and Gary Barnridge.    The Cards also only return 9 total starters.  However, they lose a lot of bad baggage on the defensive side of the ball.  After giving up 31.4 points per game on defense last year, the Cards will definitely need to regroup.  But I fully expect them to do just that.  If Louisville will have anything, they will have speed on defense.  They should also have a much stronger front 4 on the defensive side than they enjoyed last year.  As a team they only sacked the QB 17 times.  To put that into perspective, Greg Middleton from Indiana had 16 by himself last year.  That stat will undoubtedly improve.  They also gave up a pathetic 4.4 yards per rush.  The non-conference slate will prove to be testing with games against Kentucky, Kansas State, and @ Memphis, but they should be much better because of it.  This is a 'sleeper' Big East pick as they get my top two teams at home in USF and West Virginia.  At the very least, we should expect them to be much more competitive than the 6-6 team that was a defensive nightmare in 2007. 

Connecticut:  Connecticut was one of the feel good stories in 2007.  Going into their final regular season contest of the year against West Virginia they had a chance at being Big East Conference champions.  66-21 later, and their dreams were crushed.  They were also manhandled in their bowl game loss to Wake Forest.  On the bright side, they return 17 starters, but this years schedule will prove to be much more daunting.  They may well start out 4-0, but then they play Louisville, North Carolina, and Rutgers in back to back to back games.  They also get THREE 2 week rests between games this year.  But as in years past, a UConn victory on any weekend is not exactly 'guaranteed'.  Randy Edsall has done a fantastic job up in Storrs, but the Huskies should expect a slide back to reality in 2008.  Tyler Lorenzen is a nice QB, but he doesn't exactly catch your eye as a difference maker.  Andre Dixon is a serviceable RB, but is far from being 'special'.  When all was said and done after last year's dream season, the Huskies had 4 defensive players with over 100 tackles.  There is no other team in College Football that enjoyed that luxury.  Louisville gave up a gashing 4.4 yards per carry last year, and so did Connecticut.  The biggest mark that sticks out is Connecticuts +14 turnover margin from last year.  With 6 road games, and the much improved Pitt and Louisville squads in their conference, I may have UConn a bit high.  Pretty bold statement for a 2nd place team with 17 returning starters.  But for a team that averaged 4 yards of offense less per game than their opponents last year, I'm pretty confident in my approach.  The more I think about it, I might just have them rated a bit too high. 

Rutgers:  Who didn't like the Rutgers story from 2006?  However, even last year I called for at least 5 losses from the Scarlet Knights in 2007, and that is exactly what they gave us.  Greg Schiano has done an absolutely incredible coaching job in New Jersey, and should demand everyone's respect with the turnaround that has taken place at Rutgers.  However, the best player in school history, Ray Rice is gone.  All 2,012 rushing yards that he had last year as well.  That just doesn't get replaced overnight.  Mike Teel, Kenny Brit, and Tiquan Underwood embody a solid passing attack, but I fear the ground game of Ray Rice will be a huge factor in the Rutgers continued drop into Big East obscurity.  Last year, the Scarlett Knights only had 1 impressive victory.  A 30-27 win over then #2 ranked South Florida.  From there they finished the season 2-3 and went on to beat an overmatched Ball State team in a meaningless bowl game to garner their 8th win.  In all, Rutgers had 8 victories.  Those 8 victories were over Buffalo, Navy, Norfolk State, Syracuse, USF, Army, Pittsburgh, and Ball State.  They may have 15 starters returning, but the loss of Ray Rice is just too much for a program like Rutgers to improve upon a 3-4 conference record from a year ago.  They also play Fresno State, North Carolina, and Navy in non-conference play.  I fully expect 2 losses in those 3 games.  Throw in road trips to West Virginia, Pittsburgh, and South Florida, and the Knights will struggle to get upwards on a .500 season.  With only 1 starter returning on the offensive line, and not a real playmaker on defense to make a true difference, I don't expect much out of Rutgers in 2008.  If they are to surprise again in 2008, it will be the defense that will carry the load.

Syracuse:  Can somebody call Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Donovon Darius, and Dwight Freeney?  Wow, has this once proud program fallen off the proverbial map or what?  After Paul Pasqualoni was run out of town, Greg Robinson hasn't exactly struck any fear into the landscape of College Football at Syracuse.  In 3 years Greg has a 7-20 record, including 2-19 against conference opponents.  Putting it nicely, Mr. Robinson needs to win a few games in 2008 to keep his job up in the Carrier Dome for the 2009 season.  Throw in non-confernce games @ Northwestern, Penn State, and @ Notre Dame and it doesn't look real bright.  But..... they do return 14 starters including their talented, but oft-criticized, signal-caller Andrew Robinson.  Throw in 4 conference road games and it looks even dimmer.  However, Mr. Robinson (no relation to Mrs. Robinson from "The Graduate") has recruited some decent talent to Syracuse in the past couple of seasons, and that talent should get some field time.  They will likely win more than 2 games in 2008, but it won't be much more even though they will be vastly improved.  They will likely upset somebody, but the question will be whether it will save Greg's job.  Their defense can't possibly get any worse, so I will call them to crawl out of the cellar, but not by much.  Another 8+ loss season looms heavy in Orangeland.

Cincinnati:  So how do I put one of my surprise teams from 2007 as being the 'surprise' loser of 2008?  Simple.  Ben Mauk was Mr. Everything for the Bearcats in 2007, and they enjoyed a +16 turnover margin last year.  Sure, they may return 12 starters and a solid head coach in Brian Kelly, but I look for this to be a huge fall from grace for the Bearcats this year.  Throw in a 13 game season, and the Bearcats could lose 10 or more games.  In non-conference they play 4 road games, plus 3 road games in conference.  Included in the non-conference road games are date #2 against Oklahoma, Akron, Marshall, and Hawaii.  Now those may not seem daunting outside of Oklahoma, but road games against UConn, West Virginia, and Louisville in conference play should wear on these guys, and we can easily see at least 4 losses without batting a whisker.  With the improvement of other teams in the conference, and a very much expected drop in the turnover ratio, the Bearcats should have a big fall in 2008.  I hope I'm wrong because I like Mr. Kelly, and I like this team.  I'm likely wrong in pegging them here, but I had to put somebody to finish last.  Maybe I'm just asking for them to prove me as being REALLY wrong in '08?  Either way, I don't expect much hoopla from Bearcat fans in 2008, and neither should you.

My favorite quotes..

Any way that you look at it though, the Bulls should be very much considered as, at the least, a National Title 'sleeper' contender.

The Bulls play absolutely nobody in non-conference other than Kansas at home, and I fully expect them to win that contest.

Least favorite..

The South Florida 'Brahma' Bulls

Mama Bull,  Thanks for the shot you gave me in your thread http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=49046.0  But it doesn't really matter.  I don't post many articles except for ones that interest me.  If your not interested in someone calling us national title contenders or having suprise picks, as in Cincy last, I don't really care. 

I guess you only like the articles in which you are the original poster.  Don't degrade my post as I don't degrade yours. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Mama Bull,  Thanks for the shot you gave me in your thread http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=49046.0  But it doesn't really matter.  I don't post many articles except for ones that interest me.  If your not interested in someone calling us national title contenders or having suprise picks, as in Cincy last, I don't really care. 

I guess you only like the articles in which you are the original poster.  Don't degrade my post as I don't degrade yours. 

I didn't read anyting degrading in mama's comments.  She was just removing the redundant post... as you both posted the same article at the same time. 

I didn't read anyting degrading in mama's comments.  She was just removing the redundant post... as you both posted the same article at the same time. 

If thats the case then its definately my bad.  I never noticed the dual posts.  But regardless it still doesn't matter.  Its cool either way.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The Mountaineers may still be the class of the Big East in '08, but their out of conference schedule is brutal with games @ East Carolina, @ Colorado, and vs. Auburn at home on a Thursday night in Morgantown

How does a game @ East Carolina and @ Colorado add brutality to a schedule?

I mean I get it.  Auburn is much improved this year, and is a legitamate threat in the SEC.  ECU and Colorado, well... that seems like it softens up their schedule a little.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

well

@ECU, @CU, vs Auburn

isn't much different than

vs KU,@UCF,@NCSt

UCF and ECU cancel each other out... KU and Auburn cancel each other out

and NCState and Colorado probably are close to equal.

• Content Count:  73

That is hilarious, the day we come in 8th place my props go to home but who cares what this guy says he's not god, we will certainly not loose ten or more games. But, how in the world does he not put syracuse in last place. This guy is so stupid its funny.

well

@ECU, @CU, vs Auburn

isn't much different than

vs KU,@UCF,@NCSt

UCF and ECU cancel each other out... KU and Auburn cancel each other out

and NCState and Colorado probably are close to equal.

I completely agree and would consider either "brutal"

That is hilarious, the day we come in 8th place my props go to home but who cares what this guy says he's not god, we will certainly not loose ten or more games. But, how in the world does he not put syracuse in last place. This guy is so stupid its funny.

He think the Cuse has a chance to improve and may sneak out with 2 or possibly 3 conference victories.

Name 3 or 4 conference games Cincy has locked down this year?  Syracuse (1), then umm... Louisville, Uconn, pitt, and rutgers are going to be very tough games for you this year.  it's a stretch, but it's not stupid.  He even calls it a stretch.

Archived