• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Center Rivas-Sanchez commits to Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

8 pts and 12 rebounds in JUCO will be the equivalent to 3 pts and 6 rbs in the big east. 

This guy was not offered scholarships by those other schools. This is NOT a good recruit.  You can hope and wish all you want, but one thing I know is basketball recruiting and this guy was on noones radar.  Sorry is the truth hurts.

We got desperate and needed a big man so we picked up the last guy available.

I read Aumans board all the time.  Those guys know and talk a lot of basketball and not even the green and gold goggle guys are excited about this one.  I cant see how anyone who knows what they are talking about really can.  Hopefully he surprises the masses. 

Auman posted on his blog today:

AAU coach mentioned that Miami offered Rivas-Sanchez out of high school; he had to go junior college after going to Laurinburg Prep.

Posted by: G.A. | May 01, 2008 at 07:57 AM

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/04/center-rivas-sa.html#comments

Available Spring Big Men

Feb. 14, 2008

By Van Coleman,

CSTV.com & Hoopmasters.com

Alex Rivas-Sanchez 6-foot-10 230 C Pratt CC (Kan.) - He's just starting to come into his own as a rebounder and defender, but has good tools on offensive end. He has had looks from Miami (FL), Nebraska, Texas A&M, Utah, Utah State, West Virginia and Wichita State.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/021408abx.html

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'll take this signing.  We needed size and we got a very athletic big man.  THAT is how you fill a need.  He will fit in perfectly in this system.  I don't know about the teague signing... he is big with soft hands, but i'm not sure how he fits in this system. 

We have 3 front court players coming in, and one asisst oriented pg to go along with DJ, Jesus, Howard, and Mercer.

Heath is addressing our needs.  Espinosa is going to be the biggest suprise.  He is the forgotten man since he signed so long ago. 

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I am pinning my hopes to the fact that Verdejo looked like a bust under Mac and was solid under Stan.  Isn't it possible that

Heath is a better coach and that coaching and a better all-around roster will improve our lot in the BE?  I think so.

Is talent no longer developed in college basketball or do these kids arrive as finished products?  David West (and others) just torched my Mavericks in the NBA.  I was shocked to hear that his HS b-ball coach in Jersey told him he lacked talent and he quit.  As a transfer student in a Raleigh, NC high school, another b-ball coach saw him walking in the hall and said he was too tall to suck at HS hoops and to try out.  An unpolished player out of HS, Xavier took a flyer on the kid and now Dirk Nowitzki is his *****.

I'd never be accused of being a green and gold glasses guy, but I have to declare:

Rivas + next years roster

>

Gransberry + last years roster

I agree carolina... but that isn't even a knock on gransberry, just the fact that the new roster has more talent top to bottom.  Center position might be significantly less.. but PF position is MUCH better.  PG is loaded, SG is better, due to experience... and same goes for SF, although we are a bit thin there in the depth.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I agree carolina... but that isn't even a knock on gransberry, just the fact that the new roster has more talent top to bottom.  Center position might be significantly less.. but PF position is MUCH better.  PG is loaded, SG is better, due to experience... and same goes for SF, although we are a bit thin there in the depth.

If we need some depth add Damien Edwards at 6'6 320 lbs.  ;D

From Greg back in Feb:

Edwards has a background as much in basketball as football -- his brother Gavin is a 6-foot-9 forward at Connecticut, and he was watching the Huskies on TV when we talked. Damien played basketball until his sophomore year as a center, and said Arizona didn't have football in junior high, so he played flag football until his freshman year. As expected, the basketball gives him good feet for his size and makes him more athletic than most 320-pounders.

Plus, we have B J Daniels as well who is ranked better than some of the guys we were recruiting in basketball. LOL

that is a big small forward  LOL

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I wish I could share some of your guys optimism.  For the record I am a huge supporter of Heath and his McMillan and even Teague recruits.  I just feel this is sort of a reach, IMO.  Like I said hopefully I am wrong, I just see this guy not being the answer to our huge hole at big man in the BIG EAST.  I just think the scholarship should have been saved for someone who can make noise, not an adequate big man who will grab a rebound or two.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

heath is doing well with recruiting.  it will be interesting to see how some of these guys pan out within the next years.

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  0

Like others have eluded to, we do not need to bring in a Center that can score a lot of points, he simply needs to rebound and defend and pass the ball out on a fast break. This kid Sanchez seems to fit that bill pretty well and he is a JUCO, so its not a big risk because he will only be here 2 years. Plus with Teeng Akol coming in this fall, we will be set at the Center position. The scorers that Heath has currently on the squad and coming in as recruits/transfer will make some serious noise. Look for a fast paced offense!

I wish I could share some of your guys optimism.  For the record I am a huge supporter of Heath and his McMillan and even Teague recruits.  I just feel this is sort of a reach, IMO.   Like I said hopefully I am wrong, I just see this guy not being the answer to our huge hole at big man in the BIG EAST.  I just think the scholarship should have been saved for someone who can make noise, not an adequate big man who will grab a rebound or two.

If you don't have anyone grabbing rebounds, that spells trouble.  I don't see teague being a gransberry type rebounder.    We still have 1 scholarship left... it looks like it will be a sg... but who knows.

Archived