• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Center Rivas-Sanchez commits to Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

April 30, 2008

Center Rivas-Sanchez commits to Bulls

USF coach Stan Heath has added a fifth member to his incoming recruiting class, getting an oral commitment Wednesday from Alejandro "Alex" Rivas-Sanchez, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound center from Pratt Community College in Kansas.

Rivas-Sanchez, who was also being recruited by Baylor, Nebraska, West Virginia and Texas A&M, is a strong rebounder and shot-blocker. He averaged 8.7 points, 12.1 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game at Pratt. His coach at Pratt, Trevor Rolfs, estimated that Rivas-Sanchez only played at 70 percent strength because of a stress fracture in his leg, noting that Rivas-Sanchez still earned second-team all-conference honors based on his defense and shot-blocking.

Rivas-Sanchez, born in the Dominican Republic, is expected to sign with the Bulls in the next week. He joins center Gene Teague, power forward Eladio Espinosa and point guard Dwan McMillan, who will all enroll this fall, as well as guard Mike Mercer, who transferred to USF from Georgia in January.

The Bulls could add another recruit to the class in the next few days as Gaby Belardo, a 6-foot-3 combo guard from Puerto Rico, is expected to visit USF's campus this weekend.

Posted by Greg Auman at 11:31:38 PM on April 30, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

These are NOT the types of recruit any of us were expecting when Heath arrived.  This was a complete reach for a big man because the coaching staff couldnt get the job done early in the recruiting stage.  I was saying ito myself how next year was going to be a long season, Im starting to think its going to be a long next few seasons. 

If we couldnt get any quality players this year, why waste the scholarships?  Very bad move in my opinion, especially in the Big East. 

I mean when Rutgers starts getting McDonalds all americans and we are picking up a kid soley because he is 6'10" we are in serious trouble. 

Too bad for Stan, USF basketball can ruin even a good coaches career. 

• Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

These are NOT the types of recruit any of us were expecting when Heath arrived.  This was a complete reach for a big man because the coaching staff couldnt get the job done early in the recruiting stage.  I was saying ito myself how next year was going to be a long season, Im starting to think its going to be a long next few seasons.  If we couldnt get any quality players this year, why waste the scholarships?  Very bad move in my opinion, especially in the Big East.  I mean when Rutgers starts getting McDonalds all americans and we are picking up a kid soley because he is 6'10" we are in serious trouble.  Too bad for Stan, USF basketball can ruin even a good coaches career. 

You need to chill out dude.  First of all, this Sanchez kid is GOOD.  He averaged 12 rebounds and 3 blocks a game while hurt.  Is he a great scorer?  Maybe or maybe not.  But he doesn't have to be if he creates fast breaks and defends well.  I don't think you fully appreciate the job CSH is doing.  He added some very good talent this year in McMillan(started for one of the top prep schools in the country, Teague(highly recruited), Espinosa(3 star player) and the georgia transfer.  On top of that he got a top ten Florida prospect for next years class in Noriega. 

Sometimes we want things to happen in a flash but thats not possible in our case.  We have sucked major ass for a very long time.  Would you want to play for a team like that if you were a top recruit?  I wouldn't...Give me Kentucky, Duke or Kansas instead please. 

It will take time to right this ship.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

These are NOT the types of recruit any of us were expecting when Heath arrived.  This was a complete reach for a big man because the coaching staff couldnt get the job done early in the recruiting stage.  I was saying ito myself how next year was going to be a long season, Im starting to think its going to be a long next few seasons.  If we couldnt get any quality players this year, why waste the scholarships?  Very bad move in my opinion, especially in the Big East.  I mean when Rutgers starts getting McDonalds all americans and we are picking up a kid soley because he is 6'10" we are in serious trouble.  Too bad for Stan, USF basketball can ruin even a good coaches career. 

You need to chill out dude.  First of all, this Sanchez kid is GOOD.  He averaged 12 rebounds and 3 blocks a game while hurt.  Is he a great scorer?  Maybe or maybe not.  But he doesn't have to be if he creates fast breaks and defends well.  I don't think you fully appreciate the job CSH is doing.  He added some very good talent this year in McMillan(started for one of the top prep schools in the country, Teague(highly recruited), Espinosa(3 star player) and the georgia transfer.  On top of that he got a top ten Florida prospect for next years class in Noriega. 

Sometimes we want things to happen in a flash but thats not possible in our case.  We have sucked major ass for a very long time.  Would you want to play for a team like that if you were a top recruit?  I wouldn't...Give me Kentucky, Duke or Kansas instead please. 

It will take time to right this ship.

Can't the man have more than one season and two off-seasons to turn things around in what has been described by Dickie V as the worst coaching position in D1?

• Content Count:  937

I hope Teague surprises me because he will be the SHORTEST Center in the big east. It will be bad when guards dunk on him.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

8 pts and 12 rebounds in JUCO will be the equivalent to 3 pts and 6 rbs in the big east. 

This guy was not offered scholarships by those other schools. This is NOT a good recruit.  You can hope and wish all you want, but one thing I know is basketball recruiting and this guy was on noones radar.  Sorry is the truth hurts.

We got desperate and needed a big man so we picked up the last guy available.

I read Aumans board all the time.  Those guys know and talk a lot of basketball and not even the green and gold goggle guys are excited about this one.  I cant see how anyone who knows what they are talking about really can.  Hopefully he surprises the masses. 

• Content Count:  505

The guy averaged 50% from the field, and only averaged 4 baskets a game.  That says to me they didn't feed him the ball.  Do JUCO centers really ever get the ball?  Isn't JUCO ball more geared to the guard and small forward positions?  Also the guy was hurt and still averaged 12 boards,  granted if you knew you were not getting the ball you would work for better positions on the rebounds.  All this guy has to do is play defense and get rebounds.  Heath has brought in all of these scorers to shoot the ball.  Get rebounds and feed them.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

heath is doing great

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

ru should recruit great basketball players since they are in mecca for talent

we still beat rutgers in basketball

Archived