• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Great in depth evaluation of Mike Jenkins by the DallasNews...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-series-south-fl.html

Dallas Cowboys NFL draft series: South Florida cornerback Mike Jenkins

12:30 AM Fri, Apr 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Albert Breer    E-mail  News tips 

MIKE JENKINS

Size: 5-foot-10, 197 pounds

Combine 40-yard dash time: 4.38

POSITIVES

Jenkins has, from an athletic standpoint, just about everything you'd ever want in a corner. He's strong to point where, despite doing 18 reps on the bench at the combine, a very good number for a corner, his coaches insist he can put it up in the mid-20s on a good day. He consistently has run in the 4.3s, and excels in man coverage. Has little problem keeping with receivers downfield, and has good instincts. Plus, he's explosive. Can change direction suddenly, and breaks on the ball quickly. He's fluid, and can flip and drop his hips without a hitch. Outstanding recovery speed, which allows him to take some chances. His potential is really unlimited, and he hasn't come close to fully tapping it yet. When he was challenged in 2007, against receivers like West Virginia's Darius Reynaud, he shone brightest. So the theory would go there that he will be challenged moreso as a pro, which could serve as a motivator.

NEGATIVES

There's an impression there that Jenkins doesn't possess the work ethic or consistent mental focus that it will take to become an elite professional. In college, he could get by on his phenomenal physical gifts and, as such, didn't develop technique or football knowledge like he could have. Also, while he does get around the ball, he doesn't catch it all that well, and will miss chances at interceptions. His versatility will be tested too at the pro level in zone coverage, since he's known to be a free-lancer that can be caught out of position. Can be a very physical, big-time hitter, but has a reputation for picking his spots. And there was the matter of a disorderly conduct charge last year, though, if completely isolated, that looked like a fairly minor incident in the grand scheme.

COWBOY FIT

In Jacksonville, Dave Campo took a raw talent in Rashean Mathis and helped develop him into a Pro Bowl corner. That's why the idea of having Jenkins here is intriguing. He's more talented than Mathis and is a pure corner, rather than the combo player that Mathis was. So there's reason to believe that Campo could light a fire under Jenkins like never before, and finally get the most out of a player that's as good an athlete as almost anyone in this draft. In a way, this pick would be similar to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, in that there'd be some work to be done, but there's a very high ceiling there. Having been a field corner in college, Jenkins is accustomed to covering large open areas, which would probably lend him to playing on the outside in the Cowboys' sub packages, when Terence Newman kicks down to the slot. He could do that immediately, and has the potential to develop into an elite man-cover guy, and those are rare in the NFL. He could also help as a kick returner right away.

SOUTH FLORIDA DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR WALLY BURNHAM

He was like most kids, when he first got here, he was a raw talent, and didn't know how to work real hard. He went through growing pains, and redshirted that first year. He has grown, and learned how to work. He has loads of talent. ... He's got closing speed - let me tell you, he can close on the ball. And he can run as fast as you'd ever want him to. He ran a 4.3 at the combine, and he can play as fast as anyone out there. He's so explosive, he's got good ball skills, he's got all the qualities. He can play press man, off man, zone, the deep third, all the things you'd ask of a corner. And he's a good tackler. ...He was better than most people, and that was his problem at time. It was that way against anyone against in high school, and he got to this level and was better than anyone he practiced against. His whole career, he's been able to shut down anyone he covered. Going to the next level, he'll go through the same growing process he did here, and I think peer pressure will get him there. No one was better than him here. There, people are going to be better and he's going to be challenged, which will him. He's very coachable. That level he's going to now, the responsibility that other players put on him will make him better. ...Auburn, Nebraska, South Carolina and LSU offered him. I don't think the big in-state schools did. But he was one of the first big guys, one of the first big in-state recruits we got. He was a big recruit for us. Mike's a very quiet kid, and playing close to home meant a lot to him at time. He was immature and he didn't want to get away. He felt more comfortable here. With his personality, he didn't want to venture. ... When he was young, we played against UAB and put him on (now-Falcon) Roddy White and Mike shut him down completely. That comes right to my mind. This year, Cincinnati had a real, real good receiver, he caught a lot of balls, and Mike shut him down. We'd say, 'Mike go over there, and have a good game against whoever it is' and he would. The Renaud kid at West Virginia, Mike handled him with ease. ... He was our field corner, we played a lot of quarters over there and we gave him a lot of responsibility. If they had trips to his side, we'd let him play in-between the '1' and '2' receivers and cheat the safeties. We gave him a lot of responsibility. ... There's no doubt he gave us flexibility, he and the other corner, Trae Williams. We'd load box up and play a lot of man-free. He could match up with anybody, and that gave us tremendous flexibility. ... One thing he needs to do is work harder, learn that every play has an impact, whether it's in practice or a game. He's gotta learn that - 'This play is very, very important, don't take a play off.' He could also work on his ball skills a bit. He has good hands, not great hands. ... He's got enough talent, where the receiver and quarterback thinks he's doing something, and he knows exactly what they're doing, and he can bait them a little bit. ...He's a great kid. That deal (with the arrest), he was at a bachelor party, it was Steven Nicholas', who plays for the Falcons, and I don't know the exact circumstances. There was some pushing and shoving and the police came. It got out of hand. He was wrong, but he knew he was wrong. But outside of that, this was the kind of kid that always where he was supposed to be, always in class, always with his tutors. That was the only issue we ever had with him. ... He and I had a long talk the other day, what I told him was 'Mike, you have to be more verbal.' One of the scouts came through here about a month ago, got him on the board, and Mike wasn't talkative. He's got to be more communicative, he's got to come out of that shell. He's got to express himself more. That will carry him a long way. He's so quiet, that people think he's not listening. He's got to do those kind of things. The other thing, he's got to believe in himself and say 'Hey, I'm gonna make this team, and do a great job for them.' He has the ability to be an outstanding player at that level. And you don't need to worry about his character whatsoever.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

every time i see burnam's name in an article it makes me nervous!  we CANNOT lose him.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

every time i see burnam's name in an article it makes me nervous!  we CANNOT lose him.

Wally won't be leaving. He's in his twilight years and will coach here until he ever decides on retiring.

• Content Count:  3,307

When he was young, we played against UAB and put him on (now-Falcon) Roddy White and Mike shut him down completely. That comes right to my mind.

He would have been a redshirt freshman that year. And for the Cowboys, I'm surprised they didn't mention that he and Anthony Henry would have a few things in common.

• Content Count:  2,923

I'm impressed with the depth of the article and the work ethic of the reporter to write a fair and balanced article. 

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Not sure who was on Roddy White in 2004, but he caught seven balls for 106 yards, so not sure "shut down completely" is the best description ...

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

For the love of God don't let him go to the Cowboys...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,504
  • Days Won:  13

For the love of God don't let him go to the Cowboys...

as long as he is not a Pat or Buc I will be happy

Archived