• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good things to do in Columbia

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Where should I go for good 'que?  Always gotta try the regional 'que.

The 'que in Birmingham was weak last yr as far as I'm concerned.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

The 'que in Birmingham was weak last yr as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with ya.  Wasn't too impressed with anything in birmingham.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Where should I go for good 'que?  Always gotta try the regional 'que.

Maurices is the one most people would say to go to.  But the owner has (or used to have) racist literature in his restaurants.

Most of the BBQ down here is Mustard-based.  You can fine vinegar-based at a lot of spots.

There's:

Millender's Bar-B-Que Place

1076 Chris Drive, West Columbia, SC 29169

(803) 796-9785

Little Pigs Barbecue

4927 Alpine Road, Columbia, SC 29223

(803) 788-8238

Guest CockEngineer

FWIW,  Millenders is now closed  :'(

I will echo some of the earlier comments ...

Maurices does still have "Southern Heritage" literature.  It also still has some of the best barbeque (a very good buffet, my personal favorite), but the politics is up to you (Still has the Confederate "Battle" flag  flying at all of his places.  A friend of mine brought her husband to the Maurices to eat from New Jersey, he having never left New Jersey, both to have him try the BBQ[which he liked very much] and to show him that the whole world doesn't progress at the same pace [which he was unimpressed with])

Lots of local places around (Dukes, Little Pigs, etc).  

Sheally's is also excellent (buffet and highly recommended) and worth the drive towards the Batesburg (~40 miles) side of town.  There is also Hites in Lexington (~15 miles), Pine Grove in West Columbia (Across the river ~ 10 miles out) ... The Gamecockcentral.com web site has a barbeque page that really is well done, IMHO.

The zoo is a family favorite (my kids are 8, 6 and 4) with the recently acquired gorillas being popular.  The newer section of the zoo has a lot of flora/fauna and is pretty nice.  Of course, the aquarium inside has nothing on the one in Charleston, or probably what you have in Tampa, but we are a couple hours from the ocean! ;)

The Vista is close to the campus and has a couple of hotels that are near there (e.g. Hampton Inn) and the typical micro-brewery style establishments.  The 5-points area is the typical college drinking area and is a few blocks from the campus ... some really good eating, lots of college kids(!), lots of bars, etc.

The Columbia Metropolitan Airport has been voted "Best Airport to take a nap in!", take that as you will! ;)

For those of you travelling, please do so carefully.  My two trips to the Tampa area (bowl games) have left me with much respect for the community, school and the program.  Best of luck for the rest of the year!

Go Cocks! ;)

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

The 5-points area is the typical college drinking area and is a few blocks from the campus ... some really good eating, lots of college kids(!), lots of bars, etc.

SWEET!  So this 5 points area is easy to find?  Is this a place we can park at one spot and walk around to all of the different bars?  Thanks for everyones help.  Looking forward to the game!

SWEET!  So this 5 points area is easy to find?  Is this a place we can park at one spot and walk around to all of the different bars?  Thanks for everyones help.  Looking forward to the game!

You can do that at both the Vista and Five Points.

FWIW,  Millenders is now closed  :'(

I will echo some of the earlier comments ...

Maurices does still have "Southern Heritage" literature.  It also still has some of the best barbeque (a very good buffet, my personal favorite), but the politics is up to you (Still has the Confederate "Battle" flag  flying at all of his places.  A friend of mine brought her husband to the Maurices to eat from New Jersey, he having never left New Jersey, both to have him try the BBQ[which he liked very much] and to show him that the whole world doesn't progress at the same pace [which he was unimpressed with])

Lots of local places around (Dukes, Little Pigs, etc).  

Sheally's is also excellent (buffet and highly recommended) and worth the drive towards the Batesburg (~40 miles) side of town.  There is also Hites in Lexington (~15 miles), Pine Grove in West Columbia (Across the river ~ 10 miles out) ... The Gamecockcentral.com web site has a barbeque page that really is well done, IMHO.

The zoo is a family favorite (my kids are 8, 6 and 4) with the recently acquired gorillas being popular.  The newer section of the zoo has a lot of flora/fauna and is pretty nice.  Of course, the aquarium inside has nothing on the one in Charleston, or probably what you have in Tampa, but we are a couple hours from the ocean! ;)

The Vista is close to the campus and has a couple of hotels that are near there (e.g. Hampton Inn) and the typical micro-brewery style establishments.  The 5-points area is the typical college drinking area and is a few blocks from the campus ... some really good eating, lots of college kids(!), lots of bars, etc.

The Columbia Metropolitan Airport has been voted "Best Airport to take a nap in!", take that as you will! ;)

For those of you travelling, please do so carefully.  My two trips to the Tampa area (bowl games) have left me with much respect for the community, school and the program.  Best of luck for the rest of the year!

Go Cocks! ;)

Sheally's is excellent, although it's a little far from town.  They cater, so the only time I have it is at a catered event.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3

come visit us at tailgaiting time. owners of gamecocksportscenter.com will be doing a little tailgaing with some of Bo's chicken.

assigned parking #2662 , first row across from stadium.

come introduce yourself and we'll get a pic or two up on site for you.

ps. Ask directions for Zesto's. Best chicken and burger baskets in town!!!

You can spend All Friday night in vista with music and good food. tailgate Saturday and hit vista again after game. Vista is only two miles from stadium headed back toward capitol building.

http://gamecocksportscenter.com

correction****** parking space 3200*****

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

come visit us at tailgaiting time. owners of gamecocksportscenter.com will be doing a little tailgaing with some of Bo's chicken.

assigned parking #2662 , first row across from stadium.

come introduce yourself and we'll get a pic or two up on site for you.

I'm going to take you up on that offer and come visit your tailgating party.  I'll be wearing my trademark USF Drinking Team shirt!    I had fun with some 'bama fans last year, I hope this turns out to be a good experience too.

See you Saturday!