• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taxpayers want UConn called for offsides over coac

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

nt-newstimeslogo.gif

Taxpayers want UConn called for offsides over coach's raise

By Fred Lucas

THE NEWS-TIMES

AP

UConn football coach Randy Edsall will make nearly $900,000 per year  more than four times Edsall's current pay of $200,000  under a new six-year contract.

Debbie Hynd, 39, of Danbury is not a big college football fan. But she does know how she wants her tax dollars spent.

That's why she is not too happy Randy Edsall, head football coach at the University of Connecticut, just got a new contract that will pay him $5.3 million  an average of $900,000 a year  over the next six years.

"It's not a professional football team," Hynd said. "My tax dollars should go to pay for the kids' tuition, not his salary. That's a big increase."

For that matter, Hynd said, Connecticut is a basketball state, not a football state. "Jim Calhoun didn't make that much when he started," she said, referring to the coach of the Huskies men's team. "Build the program up first."

Calhoun and women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma  who have won seven national championships between them  both make about $1 million a year.

Now Edsall, who had an overall record of 24 wins and 33 losses in his first five years at UConn, could break the $1 million mark with endorsements and bonuses for playing in bowl games. Last year, Edsall, who is in his sixth year at the school, made $200,000.

In an informal survey, some residents questioned the decision of UConn officials to commit so much money to a football coach. While Edsall led the Huskies to a 9-3 record last year in the school's second year in NCAA Division I, his teams have yet to play in a bowl game or even in an official Big East regular season game.

But UConn officials are banking Edsall will make football as lucrative as basketball at the state's flagship university. By tying him to a long-term contract they reduce the risk of another college coming and snatching him away.

State Sen. Andrew Roraback, a Goshen Republican whose district includes Brookfield and New Milford, said the salary is high, but he said it's mandated by the marketplace.

According to USA Today, about two dozen college football coaches earn more than $1 million, thou

gh those are mostly at schools with long football traditions.

"I understand why they have to pay (coaches) this much," Roraback said. "But as a public official and knowing the scarce supply of public money, it is hard for me to absorb."

Public money has been scarce in Connecticut in recent years. Two years ago, the state had to close a billion dollar-plus budget deficit by increasing taxes and cutting social programs. The financial picture has improved and officials are projecting a $200 million surplus for the fiscal year that ends in June.

Still, Rep. Julia Wasserman, R-Newtown, an advocate for fiscal restraint, had just one question. "Is he going to do a better job because he is paid more?" Wasserman asked. "A $900,000 salary is outrageous."

Andrew Fiore, 43, of Danbury, said it's too much too soon for Edsall. The pay raise puts his salary on the high end among state universities in the Big East. West Virginia University pays its coach $750,000, while Rutgers University pays $505,000.

"I can see maybe giving (Edsall) a couple of hundred thousand more, but not a raise from $200,000 to $900,000," Fiore said. "It's ridiculous. Especially when it's the taxpayers funding it. The school won't get back nearly what it paid out."

The school is banking it will get the money back. A good football team will bring fans to the team's almost-new $90 million stadium in East Hartford. A top team can also make millions of dollars by playing on national television and in bowl games.

Rick Davis, head football coach at Danbury High School, has seen Edsall in action at football camps. He said Edsall deserves the raise. "The football program is definitely going in the right direction," Davis said. "His pay is a reflection of what he has done and where they're going. And it's the cost of having a good football coach."

Further, Davis called the salary increase an investment in the future. He believes a strong football program will make money for the university.

"The university is making a statement that it wants its football program to be as strong as its basketball program," Davis said. "To do that, you want to have good people. That costs money."

But Don Taylor, 53, of Danbury said such big-money contracts are ruining sports.

"No wonder all the games are so far out of reach for the average person," he said. "It costs $50 or $60 to go to a game. I'm a firm believer in free enterprise. But somebody needs to put their foot down. Nobody is worth that much."

Rep. Clark Chapin, R-New Milford, said he realizes sports helps make money for the university. Yet he has reservations about paying a coach that much.

"I would rather see pay like that go to a top educator rather than a coach," Chapin said. "Football is not at the same level in the state as basketball. At first blush, a salary that high seems excessive."

Sam Hyman, 65, of Danbury, said this doesn't reflect well on the state's priorities.

"It tells us where are values are," Hyman said. "Sports is not the primary purpose of a college or university. It should be an institution of learning first."

Contact Fred Lucas

at flucas@newstimes.com

or at (203) 731-3358.

Link

Apparenlty, money flows too freely up at UCONN

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

bulls96go

he better win
 or they will never pay high dollar for a coach again!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

You will always find some dumb and jealous people out there. The guy created something out of nothing here. The football program will for the first time in history make money for the school. About 3mill net.

IF UConn was a losing team, there would be no sell-outs. There would be no interest from the media and we would be another Temple.

Edsall built this program from nothing and he deserves everything he gets. Besides, there are 150 new faculty being hired as I write this so it isn't like the school doesn't care about academics.

Ps. With the 150 new faculty, class size will go down from about 19 students per teacher to about 17. Pretty **** impressive if you ask me.