• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Line

Guest HowieP1

Another guy you might see is Danny Tolley as he seems to be at all our home games. He really stands out not only because of his size, but his hair as wel. :)

On the line: Danny Tolley

"(I love) eating linebackers' faces."

By JAMAL THALJI, Times Staff Writer

Published September 3, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lineup:

Offense: Left tackle

Defense: Tackle

6-foot-6

300 pounds

Senior

Linemen of Tolley's size, strength, skill and talent are a rare sight in Pasco County. That's why Tolley may be the county's top Division I-A prospect (South Florida already wants him) and maybe the county's top two-way weapon. "He's got good size, he's got pretty good feet, he knows his position," coach John Castelamare said. "He uses his hands very well, for control blocking and that kind of thing. He's a strong player out there."

Now in his third year starting at left tackle and second on the defensive line, Tolley has added speed to his considerable size, strength and skill. A summer at speed camp dropped Tolley's 40-yard dash time to 5 seconds flat. He's a superb run blocker, excelling at using his strong hands to control defenders, a technique that reminds Castelamare of former Ridgewood and Florida State center Jeff Dermer. Tolley can also get into the second level to block linebackers and defensive backs. But he brings more than just skill.

"When he comes out there at somebody," the coach said, "he's going at them with all 300 pounds."

Said Tolley: "It's just the way I was made. It's an advantage, of course."

Tolley will again have to be a run-blocking force in Castelamare's Wing-T. The same will be expected of him on defense as a run-stuffer, and Castelamare will be moving Tolley all over the D-line. Coach said the pressure's on Tolley to prove he deserves to be recruited.

"He knows what's expected of him if he's going to be the best in this area," Castelamare said. "So he knows he's got to do things even better than he did before."

- , Times staff writer

[Last modified September 1, 2004, 08:23:24]

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/09/03/Sports/On_the_line__Danny_To.shtml

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HowieP1

Free story on Eddie Haupt from Insiders:

"I still plan on committing on Count Down to Signing Day. When, will depend on how far we go in the playoffs. I will also graduate in December and be able to enroll in January to the school I choose." This means we'll be hearing about his commitment sometime in December. In a little over a month, Eddie Haupt will make some big time college program very happy about his college decision.

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=359&p=2&c=306646

Guest HowieP1

Free story from Insiders:

In the Trenches with Eddie Haupt

By Eddie Haupt  OL, Merritt Island, Fl

Date: Oct 19, 2004

Eddie Haupt is a four-star OL prospect from the Sunshine State. He is writing a journal for TheInsiders.com. Here's his fourth installment.

On Recruiting

I’ve narrowed down my choices a lot. It’s down to the in-state schools, and possibly maybe one of the schools in North Carolina. I just finished my visit to USF and I don’t even think I’ll take any more visits. After getting a good look at both Florida and South Florida the decision will be hard. I’m going to come to my decision soon.

My USF visit

This was more a visit for my parents to meet everyone and see the sights than for me. I’ve been to USF a couple times a year since I was a sophomore with one of my good friends, Danny Verpaele (who plays their now). I’ve seen everything, and I know real well about what USF and the city of Tampa have to offer. It was good for my parents to see USF though, because before they wrote USF off when all they had seen was UF. Besides their game the visit went great. Verpaele was my host, and we had a good time.

Home Life

Boy things have been hectic around here. Each hurricane to come through the state of Florida knocked out our power for an extended amount of time (except for Ivan). Recruiting hit a wall for me there because our phones were down and so was the internet. Everything’s starting to get back to normal, although around here a lot of people have changed their Christmas presents from a TV or whatever to a nice generator. The only good thing to come of the hurricanes was the fact that while everything else was closed, the Chinese restaurants were open. I don’t usually get to eat Chinese very much, so I enjoyed that (my dad did not).

My Games

So far we’ve had 5 games. We should’ve had 7 by now but the hurricanes messed that up quite a bit. For a couple of our games the week of practice has been shortened, sometimes so severely that the only day of pads practice is the day before a game. We were supposed to make-up the missed games (versus Melbourne High and Eau Gallie High) on Mondays. The Eau Gallie game was cancelled already, apparently their coach said it was because the week would have been “too physical†for them with a game Friday, us Monday, and another game on Friday. The Melbourne game is this coming Monday I think.

We’re 4-1, and 3-0 in the district. As a team we’ve had three great crushing wins, a sloppy win, and a self destruction loss. Each game I’ve had 12+ pancakes, no sacks allowed and what not. Defensively I go in situationally, only seeing the field on short yardage and sometimes on the off 3rd down when we need help with pass rush. I have about 8 tackles and 2 sacks for only about 20 defensive plays. If my team wins this week against Sebastian River High we pretty much clinch the district title. You can see the eagerness in everyone’s eyes to finally put up that nice piece of hardware. Merritt Island (where I play) hasn’t had a district title in something like 7-8 years.

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=47&p=2&c=308209

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Howie you da man.

This program could use this boost.  I think our OL could be on **** good footing with DeArmas, Haupt, Griffin, Dile, and Springfield manning the line in the future.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

looks like we can't go wrong with any of these guy's

go bulls

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4

how many OL will we sign?

who do you see playing where on the 2 deep OL board for next year with penciling in DeArmas and Haupt

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

They play whomever makes an impact.  That's the line of our coaches.

They are returning Chris Carothers, Mike Miller, and Frank Davis.  I think all three, sans Miller at center, could be supplanted by some of the younger more talented players on the depth chart.  

The coaches have lauded Marc Dile, Walt Walker, and Griffin.   I think if Haupt was to get in during Jan., then he'd have a great shot at contributing right away.   I've seen enough video of DeArmas to know this kid is a fabulous difference making OL, could play tackle or guard.  He'll play early in his career.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Haupt was on ESPN today.  They were asking him how the firing of Zook effected the recruiting.  He sounded awfully excited when talking about spurrie being rehired.  I would say if UF hires Steve then we lose out on this guy.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

sounded like he was already committed to UF no matter what almost... who cares, let him go

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4

"They play whomever makes an impact.  That's the line of our coaches. "

Coach said this was how he saw 2 deep for next year

LT:Davis

Springfield

LG:Open

Griffin

OC:Miller

Open