• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gators may lose two top recruiters

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,686
  • Days Won:  424

Drayton's definitely gone and Holliday may be, too .....

For the first time in Urban Meyer's three years at Florida there is going to be a change in his coaching staff.

Continue to 2nd paragraph  Doug Finger/The Gainesville Sun Florida running backs coach Stan Drayton talks with running back Skyler Thornton during practice on August 9, 2005. Sources confirmed Tuesday that running backs coach Stan Drayton is no longer on the UF staff. Drayton has accepted the same position at Tennessee and his hiring will be officially announced today in Knoxville, according to numerous media outlets. Drayton was in Knoxville on Sunday to interview for the job with UT coach Phillip Fulmer.

According to a source close to the UF program, Drayton had been advised he likely would not be retained after the Gators' loss to Michigan in the Capital One Bowl, so his departure was considered inevitable.

Under Drayton, UF did not have a 1,000-yard rusher and could never seem to find a consistent every-down tailback over the past three seasons. Quarterback Tim Tebow was UF's leading rusher this past season, followed by wide receiver Percy Harvin. Drayton was the lowest-paid assistant on the staff, earning $135,000 a year.

Drayton could not be reached for comment.

Meyer issued a brief statement about Drayton's status Tuesday, saying, "he is pursuing other opportunities,"

Drayton may not be the only UF assistant leaving.

Safeties coach John "Doc" Holliday appears close to accepting a job as the assistant head coach at West Virginia, where he is a former player and long-time assistant coach. Holliday interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at WVU three weeks ago, but was not offered the job.

According to sources, Holliday is expected to take the assistant head coach's job in the next day or two.

Holliday and Drayton were original members of Meyer's UF coaching staff, which remained intact through Meyer's three seasons.

Holliday and Drayton were considered among the top recruiters on the staff, and their departure comes at the height of the recruiting season, with prospects making official visits over the next month.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080109/NEWS/765893688/1090

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If I were a betting man I'd bet this does nothing to hurt the Gators future as far as recruiting goes.

Not sure about on the field.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Drayton's definitely gone and Holliday may be, too .....

For the first time in Urban Meyer's three years at Florida there is going to be a change in his coaching staff.

Continue to 2nd paragraph  Doug Finger/The Gainesville Sun Florida running backs coach Stan Drayton talks with running back Skyler Thornton during practice on August 9, 2005. Sources confirmed Tuesday that running backs coach Stan Drayton is no longer on the UF staff. Drayton has accepted the same position at Tennessee and his hiring will be officially announced today in Knoxville, according to numerous media outlets. Drayton was in Knoxville on Sunday to interview for the job with UT coach Phillip Fulmer.

According to a source close to the UF program, Drayton had been advised he likely would not be retained after the Gators' loss to Michigan in the Capital One Bowl, so his departure was considered inevitable.

Under Drayton, UF did not have a 1,000-yard rusher and could never seem to find a consistent every-down tailback over the past three seasons. Quarterback Tim Tebow was UF's leading rusher this past season, followed by wide receiver Percy Harvin. Drayton was the lowest-paid assistant on the staff, earning $135,000 a year.

Drayton could not be reached for comment.

Meyer issued a brief statement about Drayton's status Tuesday, saying, "he is pursuing other opportunities,"

Drayton may not be the only UF assistant leaving.

Safeties coach John "Doc" Holliday appears close to accepting a job as the assistant head coach at West Virginia, where he is a former player and long-time assistant coach. Holliday interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at WVU three weeks ago, but was not offered the job.

According to sources, Holliday is expected to take the assistant head coach's job in the next day or two.

Holliday and Drayton were original members of Meyer's UF coaching staff, which remained intact through Meyer's three seasons.

Holliday and Drayton were considered among the top recruiters on the staff, and their departure comes at the height of the recruiting season, with prospects making official visits over the next month.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080109/NEWS/765893688/1090

they will recruit better than usf

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Doc Holiday accepted the job at WVU http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=65886

Not sure that is all that good of news for USF.  We probably go head to head for recruits with WVU as often or more than UF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,686
  • Days Won:  424

Doc Holiday accepted the job at WVU http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=65886

Not sure that is all that good of news for USF.  We probably go head to head for recruits with WVU as often or more than UF.

And I'm betting he's the head coach within a couple of years ...

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If I were a betting man I'd bet this does nothing to hurt the Gators future as far as recruiting goes.

Not sure about on the field.

Yeah that job recruits itself not to mention Myer is a good recruiter himself.  As for Holiday he will be waiting in the wings if the neers struggle under the new regime. 

Archived