• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Promising Turn-Out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve lurked on this forum for some time without contributing, but finally I find something that I would like to hear commented on:

The Bullish fan turnout in El Paso.

So much is often said about the importance of how a team travels when Bowls select their participants.  While I have only my own observations while in El Paso to aid my conclusion, it sure seemed that we well out-traveled Oregon.  In fact, by 1 p.m. Sunday Afternoon, Juarez looked like Bulls Country.*

*I might have been seeing double. 

Does anybody have any solid figures?  How did our allotment sell?  Has there been any reaction from Sun Bowl officials to USF’s fan attendance?  This has to be the bright spot of the event for the university. 

Also, as a disclaimer, I do realize that there are several solid reasons why Oregon may have delivered a disappointing number of fans to the Sun Bowl but I am undeterred- I am proud of the way we traveled. 

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

We sold around 4400.  I believe that is the last number I saw.  I think there were around that many there.  We had as many to El Paso as we did to Charlotte 2 years ago, which is a major accomplishment.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,064
  • Days Won:  469

We sold around 4400.  I believe that is the last number I saw.  I think there were around that many there.  We had as many to El Paso as we did to Charlotte 2 years ago, which is a major accomplishment.

That's the number I was told...to get that out to El Paso is pretty good.  That was a haul and an expensive one at that.

It was nice having more fans, a larger band, if we could have just shown up on the field.

• Content Count:  470

Also, I hope that my retelling the method in which my group traveled to El Paso will encourage others to do the same in the future.

My crew only spent $150 dollars each on the trip (barring expenses for food / drink)!!!

Here is how we did it. 

First, we packed six of us in a Dodge Durango.  One of the members received 100% discounts at the Marriott in Houston so we stayed there on the trip there and back.  However, if this option is not available, the trip could be made by traveling straight through or by stopping at a cheap hotel with the expense split among the six.  In El Paso, the six of us piled into a two-bed hotel room at the Howard Johnson.  Three night stay = a total of $190.

So, all told, at the beginning of the trip each of us contributed $150 dollars each to cover room and gas.  By the end of the trip, we had cash left over which we used for a needed oil change. Slight sacrifices had to be made but we are living proof that a great time / great support for our Bulls can be had on a college budget!!

P.S. We also met a downtrodden Selvie and family at the El Paso Fudruckers on the way home.  Despite the weak play of the team, I pity those that chose not to make the effort to attend! 

• Content Count:  763

P.S. We also met a downtrodden Selvie and family at the El Paso Fudruckers on the way home.  Despite the weak play of the team, I pity those that chose not to make the effort to attend! 

I hope to god he was downtrodden because he played like s***. I realize that with Oregon establishing the run it neutralized his pass rushing prowess, but good god i don't think he made one play.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

George took himself out of a lot of plays by getting upfield too quick or biting the fake.  All part of being a sophomore.  He needs to add some size and work on a couple more moves to go with the speed rush and the swim moves.  I expect he will be the hardest working one this offseason and come back better.  He may never again get near 30 TFLs but I bet he gets better at the point of contact.

Archived