• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Half Time show at the Sun Bowl

CoolBull1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  189
  • Days Won:  0

Hey...I'm pretty open minded but every lyric I've ever understood was about nothing but partying, ho's, gangstas and drugs....I have different values and I'm not ashamed of it.  And the style of music doesn't impress me; it pretty much all has the same beat.  I guess that's about it.

Give me a ******* break. You categorize an entire culture into some **** you probably saw bill o'riley or some other pompous ******* say or just assumed something off what you hear on your local dial. Hip hop is so much more then pimps and hoes, getting high, hustlin, and killing people. What's funny is that **** happens regardless if you're black and rapping or if you're white and living in the suburbs. This whole thought process that rap music glorifies the bad in society and that none of them have any good to say is complete trash. What's funny is, is that no one wants to hear the truth, and don't want their kids to be expose to it, but yet no one does **** about it. No one cares enough to stop the drugs and aids epidemics going on all across the country. And Im not just talking bout the ghetto or any of that ****. Where do you think cocaine came from back in the 80's? It wasn't the black people who was putting that **** on the streets. They didn't have the resources back then to do it. It was the rich white man who flooded the streets with that stuff to make money....So when artist starts speaking on it, its "oh, all rap is drugs, killings, degrading women, and so forth", well they speak what they know. Alot of them are products of their environment and none of these "traditionalist" wants to take the blame. Hip Hop is a multi-billion dollar industry and is one of the greatest forms of art. Any average joe smoe can sit on here and say, oh rap is ****, anyone can say supaman that hoe or party like a rockstar or any other one hit wonder song out there, but I'd love to see any of yall out there actually try and rap. You think you know what rap is about but you have no clue. For every Shop Boyz, Soulja Boyz, Playaz Circle, or Young Joc, there's a Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Jean Grae, Rakim, J Zilla and so forth. The art of story telling is a thing of beauty and no form can do it better then hip hop. Listen To Scarface, Slick Rick, Beanie Sigel, Outkast, Joe Budden, Nas, Pac, and Biggie...the stuff put on the wax rates up there with anything the Beatles, Eagles, Springstein, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, or any other so called great acts of the past 40 years. If hip hop is so bad, why is it played at every single sporting event? Why do I see so many commercials with break dancing and graffiti in it? Why is it when I walk up stairs at the Dallas Bull on a thursday night, I hear mostly rap music at a country club. Dont get me wrong I listen to everything from hiphop, rock, classic rock, techno, country, freestyle and so forth but some of yall are so naive, its not even funny.

And about David Crosby, c'mon he's Melissa Etheridge's baby daddy..hardly props for donating semen to that butch.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,726

Rap is stupid for the most part.

im just wondering what all the hatred for Rap is for?

Hip Hop music is actually one of the most intellectual forms of audio artwork there is.

of course, what u hear on MILD 98.7 (or should i say 95.7 The WEAK, since the halftime show IS ClearChannel) or BET's Rap ***** doesnt give the full spectrum of what Rap music is all about...  but if all you've heard is "Superman that Hoe" and "Party Like a Rockstar" (which 99% of u have bounced to at RayJay), u really dont know much about the artform.

BigBully, its simple.  Im about to get my BM in Music Performance and im a musician.  It is my opinion, but I dislike - for the most part - the RAP industry.  I said NOTHING about Hip-hop.  Hip-Hop is GREAT but it is different than Rap.  In fact, I even like some rap...but it must be TASTEFUL...which is why is said "for the most part."  I think you know what I'm talking about. 

I listen to old-school artists all the time because I understand what an extreme amount of talent it takes to do what SOME of them do.  But some of these newer "Artist's" leave much to be desired.  To me, they are...well...they are only "posing" if you will. lol  No talent can show, esp. when you know what to listen and look for.

Plus...most songs about Drugs/Ho's/Killing/and crap like that usually doesn't appeal to me.  Along with Country songs about driving big pick-up trucks and crap like that.  Just trash...lol

But, just my opinion...lol

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

ok this thread has moved along since i last posted, so im gonna respond to a few quotes all in one post.  bear with me...

Hey...I'm pretty open minded but every lyric I've ever understood was about nothing but partying, ho's, gangstas and drugs....I have different values and I'm not ashamed of it.  And the style of music doesn't impress me; it pretty much all has the same beat.  I guess that's about it.

how much rap music have u actually listened to?  if all you've heard is the occasional song on WILD or FLZ, then its not surprising u have the impression its all about "hos and drugs."  but if u havent gone any deeper than that, its kind of ignorant (as in uninformed) to classify an entire genre of music and culture as "stupid" based on such brief exposure... on the RADIO no less.

99% of music that u hear on radio or TV, regardless of genre, is trash.  u have to go deeper to get to the good stuff, and until u do, dismissing it ALL as garbage isnt a very well informed opinion.

I love it when people start talking about cultural differences (music) and all the sudden its fair game to be ethnocentric and a d1ck wad about others. 

get'em RESPECTABULL!  im with u on this one... these dickwads are squatting when they pee again!  ;)

Every picture I've ever seen of him he looks far more like a pretty-boy than a punk to me

well it depends what u mean by "punk."

to some people, "punk" means the British subculture with mohawks and piercings. to others, "punk" is slang for homosexual.

so it's possible he can be a pretty boy AND a "punk."

I have ears and live in Tampa/St. Petersburg.

what good are ears if u dont listen?  :Duh

Hip Hop is a multi-billion dollar industry

exactly... and as much as people want to categorize Rappers as "thugs" and "gangstas" and "drug dealers" and "misogynists" etc. (and any other good-ol' boy codespeak for urban minorities), the people that run that multi-billion dollar industry are rich old white men.  the majority of Rap fans/consumers are suburban white kids.

ALL rap music is NOT "bitches, hoes and crack."  far from it. 

but 99% of Rap music that's played on radio and video IS the stereotypical fat booties, blunts and thugs...

why?  because that's what sells.  that's what the consumer market (suburban white kids) want to hear, and that's what record execs, marketing and promotion (rich old white guys) gives to them.  and in the process, middle-America is given yet another reason to stereotype the "values" of urban minorities who make the music (pawns), and millions of minority kids in the ghetto strive to be like Fiddy and Three Six Mafia because white America embraces them with Grammys, Oscars and tens of millions in record sales.

And about David Crosby, c'mon he's Melissa Etheridge's baby daddy..hardly props for donating semen to that butch.

quote of the thread!  :ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  2,726

ok this thread has moved along since i last posted, so im gonna respond to a few quotes all in one post.  bear with me...

how much rap music have u actually listened to?  if all you've heard is the occasional song on WILD or FLZ, then its not surprising u have the impression its all about "hos and drugs."  but if u havent gone any deeper than that, its kind of ignorant (as in uninformed) to classify an entire genre of music and culture as "stupid" based on such brief exposure... on the RADIO no less.

99% of music that u hear on radio or TV, regardless of genre, is trash.  u have to go deeper to get to the good stuff, and until u do, dismissing it ALL as garbage isnt a very well informed opinion.

I love it when people start talking about cultural differences (music) and all the sudden its fair game to be ethnocentric and a d1ck wad about others. 

get'em RESPECTABULL!  im with u on this one... these dickwads are squatting when they pee again!  ;)

Every picture I've ever seen of him he looks far more like a pretty-boy than a punk to me

well it depends what u mean by "punk."

to some people, "punk" means the British subculture with mohawks and piercings. to others, "punk" is slang for homosexual.

so it's possible he can be a pretty boy AND a "punk."

I have ears and live in Tampa/St. Petersburg.

what good are ears if u dont listen?  :Duh

Hip Hop is a multi-billion dollar industry

exactly... and as much as people want to categorize Rappers as "thugs" and "gangstas" and "drug dealers" and "misogynists" etc. (and any other good-ol' boy codespeak for urban minorities), the people that run that multi-billion dollar industry are rich old white men.  the majority of Rap fans/consumers are suburban white kids.

ALL rap music is NOT "bitches, hoes and crack."  far from it. 

but 99% of Rap music that's played on radio and video IS the stereotypical fat booties, blunts and thugs...

why?  because that's what sells.  that's what the consumer market (suburban white kids) want to hear, and that's what record execs, marketing and promotion (rich old white guys) gives to them.  and in the process, middle-America is given yet another reason to stereotype the "values" of urban minorities who make the music (pawns), and millions of minority kids in the ghetto strive to be like Fiddy and Three Six Mafia because white America embraces them with Grammys, Oscars and tens of millions in record sales.

quote of the thread!  :ROFLMAO

I see you didn't quote me BigBully.  Thought you would have something to say...

I'm pretty sure I was fair and just about my opinions of Rap and other music of the like.

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  1,433

Give me a ******* break. You categorize an entire culture into some **** you probably saw bill o'riley or some other pompous ******* say or just assumed something off what you hear on your local dial. Hip hop is so much more then pimps and hoes, getting high, hustlin, and killing people. What's funny is that **** happens regardless if you're black and rapping or if you're white and living in the suburbs. This whole thought process that rap music glorifies the bad in society and that none of them have any good to say is complete trash. What's funny is, is that no one wants to hear the truth, and don't want their kids to be expose to it, but yet no one does **** about it. No one cares enough to stop the drugs and aids epidemics going on all across the country. And Im not just talking bout the ghetto or any of that ****. Where do you think cocaine came from back in the 80's? It wasn't the black people who was putting that **** on the streets. They didn't have the resources back then to do it. It was the rich white man who flooded the streets with that stuff to make money....So when artist starts speaking on it, its "oh, all rap is drugs, killings, degrading women, and so forth", well they speak what they know. Alot of them are products of their environment and none of these "traditionalist" wants to take the blame. Hip Hop is a multi-billion dollar industry and is one of the greatest forms of art. Any average joe smoe can sit on here and say, oh rap is ****, anyone can say supaman that hoe or party like a rockstar or any other one hit wonder song out there, but I'd love to see any of yall out there actually try and rap. You think you know what rap is about but you have no clue. For every Shop Boyz, Soulja Boyz, Playaz Circle, or Young Joc, there's a Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Jean Grae, Rakim, J Zilla and so forth. The art of story telling is a thing of beauty and no form can do it better then hip hop. Listen To Scarface, Slick Rick, Beanie Sigel, Outkast, Joe Budden, Nas, Pac, and Biggie...the stuff put on the wax rates up there with anything the Beatles, Eagles, Springstein, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, or any other so called great acts of the past 40 years. If hip hop is so bad, why is it played at every single sporting event? Why do I see so many commercials with break dancing and graffiti in it? Why is it when I walk up stairs at the Dallas Bull on a thursday night, I hear mostly rap music at a country club. Dont get me wrong I listen to everything from hiphop, rock, classic rock, techno, country, freestyle and so forth but some of yall are so naive, its not even funny.

I'm sure people are a little tired of this thread but...so that I can remain open minded.  Tell me 4 or 5 raps that tell a story that is "a thing of beauty", some that really move the soul or call people to action or whatever it is that you're saying.  I will go to the web, find these "songs" and see if I can come over to the other side and expand my open mind a little more.  I'm genuinely interested based on the art of the story that you describe.  One catch, if it glorifies or speaks of drugs, hos, b*ches, gangstas, you can't use it.  You've got 24 hours.  Go.  8)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I'm sure people are a little tired of this thread but...so that I can remain open minded.  Tell me 4 or 5 raps that tell a story that is "a thing of beauty", some that really move the soul or call people to action or whatever it is that you're saying.  I will go to the web, find these "songs" and see if I can come over to the other side and expand my open mind a little more.  I'm genuinely interested based on the art of the story that you describe.   One catch, if it glorifies or speaks of drugs, hos, b*ches, gangstas, you can't use it.  You've got 24 hours.  Go.   8)

They will need more than 24 hours. I dont think its possible.

• Content Count:  12

Rap is stupid for the most part.

im just wondering what all the hatred for Rap is for?

Hip Hop music is actually one of the most intellectual forms of audio artwork there is.

of course, what u hear on MILD 98.7 (or should i say 95.7 The WEAK, since the halftime show IS ClearChannel) or BET's Rap ***** doesnt give the full spectrum of what Rap music is all about...  but if all you've heard is "Superman that Hoe" and "Party Like a Rockstar" (which 99% of u have bounced to at RayJay), u really dont know much about the artform.

BigBully, its simple.  Im about to get my BM in Music Performance and im a musician.  It is my opinion, but I dislike - for the most part - the RAP industry.  I said NOTHING about Hip-hop.  Hip-Hop is GREAT but it is different than Rap.  In fact, I even like some rap...but it must be TASTEFUL...which is why is said "for the most part."  I think you know what I'm talking about. 

I listen to old-school artists all the time because I understand what an extreme amount of talent it takes to do what SOME of them do.  But some of these newer "Artist's" leave much to be desired.  To me, they are...well...they are only "posing" if you will. lol  No talent can show, esp. when you know what to listen and look for.

Plus...most songs about Drugs/Ho's/Killing/and crap like that usually doesn't appeal to me.  Along with Country songs about driving big pick-up trucks and crap like that.  Just trash...lol

But, just my opinion...lol

GO BULLS!!!

I would have to agree with most of this statement.  Old rap was solid, but in this new wave there really isnt anyone special, especially when it comes to artists who write meaningful lyrics.  Im not saying there isnt any, but they are very few and far between.

I'm sure people are a little tired of this thread but...so that I can remain open minded.  Tell me 4 or 5 raps that tell a story that is "a thing of beauty", some that really move the soul or call people to action or whatever it is that you're saying.  I will go to the web, find these "songs" and see if I can come over to the other side and expand my open mind a little more.  I'm genuinely interested based on the art of the story that you describe.   One catch, if it glorifies or speaks of drugs, hos, b*ches, gangstas, you can't use it.  You've got 24 hours.  Go.   8)

Are you talking about rap or rap and hip hop.  Tupac and Nas, easily have 5 songs that have a lot of meaning.  The fact is, in those lyrics, they have hardships that occur on the street that would mean nothing to one person and a whole lot to another.  Tupac especially has songs with a lot of meaning.  Changes, Keep Ya Head Up, Baby Don't Cry, Dear Mama, and Can U Get Away, and thats just off the top of my head.  Again, there are some street references in those songs, but thats because those artists had to grow up with those things, and they arent in any way glorified in the songs.  If you add hip hop, it becomes really easy.  Wyclef Jean is an artist who immediately comes to mind.

The bottom line is this.  Baby Bash is awful.  But this side argument that has arose will never have a clear cut winner, as there is different tastes, ages, races, background, etc on this board, and no one thinks a like.  I do think some people are overly harsh on their critisism of some things though.  At the end of the day, if you dont lilke something, dont listen to it

• Content Count:  1,433

Tupac and Keep ya head up baby have changed the way I look at rap forever.  My inner soul was shaken...feel me?  I'll try another one when i get back here later.  You've got to do better than this...."art"?

• Content Count:  189

To sit here and say it cant have anything to do with drugs, women, partying and violence is stupid. Why when it's music, its crap, but when its a movie, its great? They're both forms of expression. One of the best movies this year was The Departed. I don't know one person who didn't like that movie...It had vulgar language, sex, drugs, violence, yet how many awards did it win at the academy awards? 4, including best pictures. So why is ok that when its on film is a fictional state, its cool, but when its on wax and most the **** they talk bout its real isnt crap? Makes no sense.

You want good songs that tell a story...Im not even going to following ya rules because its obscured. It shouldn't matter what they are talking bout, its they way that tell it....just like any novelist.

Here's some tracks though:

B.I.G. - I Got A Story To Tell

B.I.G. - Suicidal Thoughts

B.I.G. - Somebody's Got To Die

B.I.G. - Warning

Jay Z Ft Beanie Sigel, Scarface - This Cant Be Life

Jay Z Ft Beanie Sigel , Scarface - Some How Some Way

Joe Budden - Send Him Our Love

Joe Budden - 10 Min

Joe Budden - Dear Diary

Joe Budden - 3 Sides To A Story

Joe Budden - Are You In The Mood Yet

Joe Budden - So Long Goodbye

Joe Budden - Whatever It Takes

Joe Budden - When Thugs Cry

Joe Budden - Stained

Scarface - Never Seen A Man Cry

Scarface - Look Me In My Eyes

Scarface - My Block

Scarface Ft Pac - Smile

Geto Boyz - Mindz Playin Tricks On Me

Styles P Ft Sheek, Cross N J-Hood - Nobody Believe Me

Styles P - My Brother

OutKast - Da Art Of Story Tellin' (1, 2, the remix with Slick Rick, and 4 on the Drama Cd)

OutKast - Babylon

Andre 3000 - A Day In The Life Of Benjamin

Beanie Sigel - Die

Beanie Sigel - Feel It In The Air

Ras Kass - Nature Of The Threat

Mobb Deep - Streets Raised Me

Ghostface Killah - All I Got Is You

Ghostface Killah - Ill Never Be The Same Again

Wu Tang Clan - Triumph

Wu Tang Clan - I Cant Go To Sleep

Wu Tang Clan - Protect Ya Neck

Raekwon Ft Nas - Verbal Intercourse

PM - Hater Family

Nas - Poison

Nas - Rewind

Nas - Undying Love

Nas - I Gave You Power

Nas - Blaze A 50

Common - I Used To Love H.E.R.

Common - The Light

The Lost Boyz - Renee

Mr. Cheeks Ft Stephen Marley - Till We Meet Again

Bun B - The Story

Lil Wayne - Cry Out

Lil Wayne - I Feel Like Dying

Lil Wayne - What He Does

Lil Flip - Make Momma Proud

Pastor Troy - Acid Rain

Large Professor Ft QTip - In The Sun

Papoose - Chess

Papoose - Law Library ( 1-3)

Papoose - Charades (1 & 2)

Canibus - 100 Bars

Canibus - 2000 B.C.

Cassidy - Get Retarded

Cassidy - Innoncent Man

Fabolous - Can You Hear Me

Onyx - Veronica

Onyx - Last Dayz

Dead Prez - Last Dayz Reloaded

Dead Prez - Hip Hop

Dead Prez - Mind Sex

Dead Prez Ft Jay Z - Hell Yeah Remix

Dmx Ft The Lox - 24 Hours To Live

Dmx - Look Thru My Eyes

Dmx - Let Me Fly

Dmx - Slippin

Dmx Ft Faith Evans - I Miss You

Drag-On - My First Child

David Banner - Cadillacs On 22's

Ness - Slippin

Field Mob - I Hate You So Much Right Now

Field Mob - My Main Roni

Field Mob - Cut Loose

Thats just a taste. Not all of those are strictly storytelling but they are tracks thats are not your average radio joints and they all have quality and meaning behind it. I could go on for hours with this topic and listing tracks.

Archived